PDA

View Full Version : Racial traits for Swift (bird)?

Blas_de_Lezo
2019-04-15, 06:03 PM
A question for the ornithologists in the forum.

I'm planning an eldritch knight archer with Find Familiar spell. I want the air-bird par excellance: the swift.

What racial traits should it have?

Thanks in advance!

JackPhoenix
2019-04-15, 07:15 PM
No "racial traits", because it's not race.

Just pick hawk and refluff it.

Galithar
2019-04-15, 07:21 PM
No "racial traits", because it's not race.

Just pick hawk and refluff it.

Agreed. If you're looking for the "My familiar is a Swift" it works perfectly fine. If what you're looking for is "My familiar is mechanically superior BECAUSE it's a Swift" then there isn't much anyone here can help with besides "Talk to your DM".

In either scenario Racial traits only really matter for creating a PC or a select few NPCs by the DM (Humanoids given racials to make them be a certain race instead of generic templates). If you want a homebrew familiar with with your DM, but honestly refluffing a Hawk or Owl is the best route. (Hawk for a closer match, Owl for the mechanical superiority of fly-by)

Finback
2019-04-16, 04:34 AM
A question for the ornithologists in the forum.

I'm planning an eldritch knight archer with Find Familiar spell. I want the air-bird par excellance: the swift.

What *snip* traits should it have?

Thanks in advance!

1hp, very high Dex (like, 20), every other stat is as low as it gets - pretty much Str 1, Con 1, Int 2, Cha 2 (they are pretty), Wis 1.

Now, what your knight wants is a SWALLOW. Very talented birds those, they can carry a coconut.

Dungeon-noob
2019-04-16, 06:59 AM
1hp, very high Dex (like, 20), every other stat is as low as it gets - pretty much Str 1, Con 1, Int 2, Cha 2 (they are pretty), Wis 1.

Now, what your knight wants is a SWALLOW. Very talented birds those, they can carry a coconut.
Ah, but then you must answer a most important question: African or European swallow?

JackPhoenix
2019-04-16, 04:08 PM
Ah, but then you must answer a most important question: African or European swallow?

Neither. There aren't many fantasy settings that have actual Africa or Europe.

Dungeon-noob
2019-04-16, 04:15 PM
Neither. There aren't many fantasy settings that have actual Africa or Europe.
Not much for jokes, i take it?

JackPhoenix
2019-04-16, 07:51 PM
Not much for jokes, i take it?

Scientific accuracy is no joke. How are the scholars supposed to provide correct answer if all they can compare is Faerunian and Chultan swallow? Everyone will just get confused with those weird names. Do you even have expertise in add double your proficiency bonus to ability checks that use Nature proficiency?

And Host forbid you try to do that in Eberron. Everyone knows you'll have to measure Khorvairian and Xen'drikan *pteranodons Glidewings*. Swallows, sheesh.