PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Portent Battle?

Timur18
2019-04-15, 07:44 PM
Had an odd situation come up in a recent session.

I play a divination wizard and used a low portent to make a demon fail a save to resist our cleric’s banishment spell. The DM then revealed that the evil mage who summoned the demon was also a diviner and would use a portent to have the demon make the save.

Our table decided it was best to treat it as something imposing advantage and disadvantage to a roll, call it a wash and let the roll proceed as normal.

One person suggested the two wizards do a INT contest with the winner getting his portent to stick and the loser being out a portent.

Another person suggested taking the two portent numbers and using the average.

Still another suggested my portent stick since I called it first.

I was satisfied with calling it a wash but I’m curious what other DMs would do in this situation.

Seclora
2019-04-15, 07:53 PM
Personally, I would rule that once Portent has been applied, no further portents can be applied because it's no longer a d20 roll you're replacing, it's just a number.

That said, I would totally let a Wizard replace another wizard's portent rolls for the day with their own, as long as they could see them when they rolled their portents. I also allow Luck rerolls on portent rolls. It's a powerful ability, because even a bad roll is useful.

Kane0
2019-04-15, 08:57 PM
I would have the opposed wizards roll off to see who’s fortunetelling was most accurate. Call it ‘duel of the fates’

Timur18
2019-04-15, 09:22 PM
Call it ‘duel of the fates’

Rule of cool there for sure.