PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Fabler (Medium archetype/Storyteller rework) [PEACH]

eternalink
2019-04-15, 08:21 PM
About a year ago, I posted a small-mostly-ignored thread about the Fabler, a homebrew base class that existed as a sort of hybrid of the Medium and Bard classes. I have returned to this project with a fresh set of eyes, and after reading some guides and feedback on the Medium class, I've decided to attempt to approach the project as a rework of the Storyteller Medium archetype. The general consensus appears to be that the Storyteller Medium is terrible, and I agree. Here is my proposed rework.

Any feedback would be much appreciated, and this archetype will also be tested in my home game very soon!

(I am unclear as to whether I am allowed to repost text from the SRD, so unless I hear from a mod that I'm in the clear, I'm going to avoid posting any text drawn directly from the SRD, and instead only reference abilities by name.)

Fabler
A fabler channels spirits by retelling her legends. The distance she maintains from the spirits keeps her safe from the worst effects of their influence, and somewhat limits her abilities, but she can use the stories of legendary heroes to inspire her allies.

Stories (Su)
A fabler begins knowing the stories of two spirits. Each story corresponds to a specific spirit, and represents tales of an individual’s exploits, passed down through generations either orally or via written records.

Like a Relic Channeler, the Fabler cannot choose new options when channeling a spirit, per the Relic Channeler's Relics ability. Just like in th case of the Relic Channeler, this is a sacrifice of flexibility narratively explained by the idea that this is the same spirit being channeled over and over. Unlike the Relic Channeller, however, the Fabler does not need a physical object to channel the spirit.

At 5th level, and every 4 levels thereafter, a fabler gains knowledge of another spirit.

A fabler is affected by the spirits she channels, but never risks total possession. While channeling a spirit, a fabler is always under the spirit’s influence penalty and must accept the taboo chosen when that spirit was learned. However, the spirit does not gain further influence over a fabler. Instead, a fabler has a pool of Drama Points equal to half her level or her Charisma modifier, whichever is higher. Any time a fabler would use an action that normally gains a point of influence, she instead must spend one point from this pool.

This ability alters spirit and taboo, and replaces propitiation, ask the spirits, and trance of three.

Knowledge of Tales (Ex)
In addition to the listed Spirit Bonus for each spirit, a fabler also gains her Spirit Bonus on all Knowledge skill checks with Knowledge skills in which she’s trained.

This ability alters spirit bonus.
This is a slight buff to Knowledge of Tales, allowing the Fabler to use Spirit Surge on their trained Knowledge checks. Also, it alters, rather than replaces, spirit bonus, so the Fabler does not lose out on that ability.

Storyteller’s Performance (Su)
Unchanged, except that it replaces only haunt channeler now.

Learn the Story (Sp)
Unchanged

Living Story (Sp)
Unchanged

Summary
Overall, the Fabler loses out in flexibility relative to the base Medium in a big way, by losing access to four spirits at 1st level, only gaining those spirits gradually, and by accepting the Relic Channeler's limitation of being locked into a single set of spells for Archmage and Heirophant spellcasting. They are also always under the effects of the Influence Penalty, but in exchange they get slightly increased effective influence in the long run and access to Bardic Performance. The Fabler is less adept than the base Medium at being a jack-of-all-trades, but can be a reliable support in addition to their flex role.

Relative to the Storyteller, the Fabler loses four spirits at level 1, gaining them back gradually, and gains an indeterminate number of effective influence points (probably upwards of 3), more ability with knowledge skills, and gains back spirit bonus and shared seance.