PDA

View Full Version : What’s the Best From Kalamar?

Palanan
2019-04-15, 08:59 PM
Probably like a lot of people, I tend to forget that Kingdoms of Kalamar is a well-developed setting. But whenever I look at excerpts I’m impressed by the thought that went into it, and I was absolutely dazzled by the KoK Atlas.

So, what are the best entries from the Kalamar product line? What material could be easily imported into another campaign setting? And are there any elements that would or wouldn't work well in a Pathfinder game?

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-04-15, 11:33 PM
The stuff on ship modification is pretty good. That source book was called Salt and Sea Dogs?

Crichton
2019-04-15, 11:53 PM
The best from Kalamar? Darklight Wizard. Yeah, totally Darklight Wizard. :smallcool:

Palanan
2019-04-16, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco
The stuff on ship modification is pretty good. That source book was called Salt and Sea Dogs?

Pretty sure that’s it. I’d love to give it a look, but it’s running $40 for a decent copy—and that’s cheap for Kalamar books these days.

GrayDeath
2019-04-17, 04:49 PM
Fried Kalamari, obviously.

Palanan
2019-04-17, 05:58 PM
Please don’t turn this into a joke thread. I know there are some dedicated Kalamar fans out there, just wanted to know what books they like best from the setting.

Particle_Man
2019-04-17, 08:44 PM
I liked the gods.

ZamielVanWeber
2019-04-17, 10:04 PM
I liked the gods.

The fact the each race had their own names for the gods (who lacked any ONE TRUE NAME) was great.

The poison rework rules are a little janky but keep poison relevant a lot longer withone diving through a dozen splats.

A few of the feats are really nice, like the weird crit resistance to hobgoblins and getting int mod class skills.

Spellsinger, the official 3.0 version not the unofficial 3.5 version, is a decently solid class and make for an easy truenamer if you trade away the familiar since they literally sing their spells.

Palanan
2019-04-17, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber
The fact the each race had their own names for the gods (who lacked any ONE TRUE NAME) was great.

Interesting, thanks. This is pretty much how I do it in my own campaign world.

Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber
Spellsinger, the official 3.0 version not the unofficial 3.5 version, is a decently solid class and make for an easy truenamer if you trade away the familiar since they literally sing their spells.

This sounds very cool. Which book is it from?

Bphill561
2019-04-18, 07:23 PM
The woodland Fairy from the Dangerous Denizens is 1HD+6LA. It has lots of abilities like asexual reproduction, but 7th level druid casting is probably the best. The book also has a number of half-races: half-goblin, half-satyr, half-dwarf, etc.

Dawgmoah
2019-04-18, 07:30 PM
I have used the Hobgoblins as a pc race based on the works of the Kalamar Player's Guide. Added a bit of dimension to the "opposing side."
Also re-fluffed the Basiran Dancer for a special culture as well as introduced the Slaver and Vessels of Man prestige classes. It was just enough to keep my rules lawyers busy trying to figure out these guys and their abilities.