PDA

View Full Version : Unuseless magic items...ideas?

SoD
2007-10-02, 12:06 PM
OK, here's what I'm considering doing, I'm currently DMing a campaign, we're in the second session, and the party is all at level 1 (not for long, they grow up so fast!). I'm planning on putting in magic items here and there. Useless magic items, like a staff that, upon cammand, will stand upright with no support. Or a bowl that, although you can take stuff out as easily as normal, if you turn it upside down...*gasp!* the contents don't fall out!

However, these are my only ideas so far for useless magic items...any more ideas out there?

Oh, and I didn't think up the standing staff, I remember hearing it somewhere else, so if it was someones idea on this forum, I'm not attempting to steal it! :smallsmile:

Yuki Akuma
2007-10-02, 12:10 PM
Those aren't useless. They're actually very useful, even to adventurers.

Now, a true useless item would be, say, the Amulet of Extra Amulet Slot.

SoD
2007-10-02, 12:16 PM
Yeah, know that they're not completely useless, but you know the sort of thing I mean. And I like the amulet idea, very nice.

The thing I'm more looking for, however, is things such as what I mentioned. Things that are 'useless'.

Drglenn
2007-10-02, 12:16 PM
a bendable greatsword

BRC
2007-10-02, 12:17 PM
The cloak of billowing
The invlunerable ring (note, the RING is invulnerable, the person wearing it is just a shmuck)
Tome of potential Knowledge: Capable of containing any information that could possibly exist! (a blank book)

SoD
2007-10-02, 12:25 PM
Ooh, these are going straight into the book!

And they're also perfect for my party, I've got a cleric who weilds a greatsword (although 'bendable' could be applied to a great number of weapons), a sorcerer who is constantly seeking knowlege and has a thing for cloaks...and the ring could go to anyone.

BRC
2007-10-02, 12:28 PM
For the record the cloak of billowing has no effect except that it billows dramatically behind you.

SoD
2007-10-02, 12:30 PM
Thanks, I did sort of guess though. Any more brilliant ideas (I'm hoping this thread will stay alive for at least a day or two)?

kamikasei
2007-10-02, 12:31 PM
It's not mine, but you've got to love:

The Goggles
They do nothing.

valadil
2007-10-02, 12:33 PM
I've always wanted to run an NPC shopkeep who is a little hard of hearing. For instance if the PCs commission a bag of holding they're likely to receive a bag of molding, scolding, or folding, depending on my mood. You could probably do something similar. Just read through the list of items, rhyme one of the words in that item, and figure out what such a device would do.

Attilargh
2007-10-02, 12:35 PM
The Deck of Summoning: A regular, joker-less deck of playing cards. Whenever it is used to play a game of solitaire (also known as patience) in a public place, it will summon an NPC to advice with the game. Strangely enough, it doesn't detect as magical.

Coin of Occasional Divination: When you ask this coin a simple question with two possible answers, it will tell you the truth 50% of the time when flipped. Oddly, this won't detect as magical either.

internerdj
2007-10-02, 12:35 PM
key of locking the open lock- skeleton key will resize itself to fit any lock, can engage the locking mechanism but only while the lock or object intended for the lock(eg. door) is opened (whichever is more useless at the time). Using the key will do nothing if the action will result in an object or door being secured.

Prism of holding - small wooden prism that when placed under a door will hold it in an open position. Closing the door when held by the Prism of Holding is a DC 3 strength check. Or may be circumvented by a DC 2 dex check to remove the Prism.

Bayar
2007-10-02, 12:44 PM
How about a Fire pillow...it burns the guy wanting to use it.
Or the amulet of idiocy...wearing it will drop your int/wis to 2-3.
Or a vampire ring...drains your HP when worn...
Maybe a potion of leprosy, or a disintegrating wand (it disintegrates itself when used).

Ashtar
2007-10-02, 12:47 PM
Figurine of wondrous power : Pauper
Summons a level 1 commoner clothed in rags, excluding a disagreeable stench. This pauper will take orders from the figurine owner for up to 10 minutes per day. The pauper has Bluff +2 and Hide +2 as skills.
If killed, will revert to a figurine after the 10 minutes, the figurine will not be able to change to a pauper for a full week.

Xuincherguixe
2007-10-02, 12:47 PM
Ring of Ringing- Hit it and it rings like a tuning fork for a few turns.
Sword of Shouting- When withdrawn it yells very loudly.
Omninous Amulet- When worn, it seems like something big is about to happen to the wearer. It doesn't though.
One hand clapping- When poked, the hand somehow manages to clap
Shinny Coin- A coin which is much shinier than it really should be
Dragon Irritater- A pair of nice looking boots, that when worn will cause the wearer to be irritating towards dragons for some reason said dragons will not be able to place.
False Party Invitation- An invitation to a party that is never going to happen.
Belligerent Mace- A mace causes the person using it to be mildly antagonistic.
Flowering Shoes- Causes flowers to grow in the wearers footsteps.
Vague Staff- When examined one finds that it does something, but they can't figure out what exactly. This impression of doing something is in fact it's magical property.
Empty box of existentialism - If looked at for too long, one questions their own existence (an alternatively scarier version actually makes them cease to exist)
Mime machine - A machine that makes mimes. You can decide on the stats, and sanity damage of the mimes yourself.
Stick of stickiness - When grabbed, it is slightly difficult to get the stick off.
Bracelet of Non Sequiturs - When worn, and the wearer attempts a response roll 1d6. If a 1 they must reply in a way that doesn't make much sense.
Idol of Squiggy- bears the image of an evil looking squid thing. It detects as slightly evil, on the same degree as someone who pokes kittens for a minute or two. It serves no purpose but to give players the wrong idea.
Porpoise of purpose - A dolphin shaped figure that while one touches, has their resolve for some task increased mildly.

Kaelaroth
2007-10-02, 12:48 PM
-Pencil of Power:
Never runs out.

-Inkwell of Doooooom:
Changes colour on command.

-Hat of Ooobisquiity:
You can identify mind-flayers while flying at over forty miles an hour in the Outlands.

-Lipstick of Truth:
It really does make your lips stick together; it's really glue.

Hope the were slightly helpful,
Kaelaroth

SoD
2007-10-02, 12:51 PM
Some of those are more like cursed items than 'useless' or useless items, but a slight modification to the pillow (now a pillow of light), and the disintergrating wand is perfect, as are most other things that have been suggested. I'm going to have so much fun!

I've always wanted to run an NPC shopkeep who is a little hard of hearing. For instance if the PCs commission a bag of holding they're likely to receive a bag of molding, scolding, or folding, depending on my mood. You could probably do something similar. Just read through the list of items, rhyme one of the words in that item, and figure out what such a device would do.

I've been in a party where that happened. An old forgetful man who owned an armoury, along with his cat. Our barbarian spent about 10 minutes (real time) trying to sell a single peice of armour.

NPC: ''Why would I want armour? I already have lots. Would you like to buy some armour?'' ''Allright, lets see...sorry, I've only got copper peices, does that matter?'' and, after counting out enough copper peices to buy a half-plate: ''Oh, no, wait, I've found some gold now. It was at the bottom of the copper peice tray.'' and finally: ''OK, that's the half-plate, is there anything else you would like to sell?'' *PCs look at the dozen or so weapons, peices of armour and other miscelaneous equipmet* ''No. That's all.''

truemane
2007-10-02, 12:57 PM
Ring of Solitary Invisibility
-Confers Invisibility on the wearer, but only when they're alone

Ring of Cubic Zirconia
-This ring, adorned with a HUGE fake gem, confers a +2 Circumstance bonus on all Perform (Singing) Checks, but only when singing cheesy lounge tunes.

Wooly Vest of Warmth
-This thick vest, made from heavy yak's wool makes the user warm, even when it's cold outside.

Amulet of Infinite Atonement
-Prevents Fighters from losing their Bonus feats when they perform actions outside of their alignment.

Pablo's Phylactery of Pugnaciousness
-This floral-coloured phylactery confers upon the wearer a +5 Jerk Bonus on all attacks. The user must hit the target at his regular, unmodified attack bonus in order to gain the benefit of the bonus. If the user misses at his regular attack bonus, the phylactery has no effect on that attack roll.

Skippy's Rapier of Lofty Pummelation
-This rapier, when used by a character with the Weapon Finesse feat, allows the user to use their Strength Bonus instead of their Dexterity Bonus on all attack rolls.

Ling Chow's Cursed Placebo
-This potion is in all ways indistinguishable from ordinary water, even to Divination magic. When imbibed, it causes Monks to become less effective than other classes of the same level of experience and optimization. Its effects can not be removed by any means, even through use of Miracle or Wish.

Suspar's Sceptre of Superfluity
-This plain, unadorned iron rod grants Fighters, Paladins, and Rangers a +1 Base Attack Bonus on attack rolls. This bonus does not stack with any other attack bonuses.

Ringu's Magic Ring of Ringness
-This ring, when worn, grants the user a +20 Competency Bonus on all Use Magic Device checks made to use Ringu's Ring of Ringness.

I'll see if I can come up with more...

internerdj
2007-10-02, 01:00 PM
Wonderous Items:
Eyes of the badger - These items are made of special crystal and fit over the eyes of the wearer. These lenses grant a -5 competence penalty on Spot checks. Wearing only one of the pair causes a character to become dizzy and, in effect, stunned for 1 round. Thereafter, the wearer can use the single lens without being stunned so long as she covers her other eye. Of course, she can remove the single lens and see normally at any time, or wear both lenses to end or avoid the dizziness.

Faint divination

Bag of Fuzzy Balls - This small sack appears normal and empty. However, anyone reaching into the bag feels a small, fuzzy ball. If the ball is removed and tossed up to 20 feet away, it sits there and does nothing. The ball serves the character who drew it from the bag for 10 minutes (or until sundered or put back into the bag), at which point it disappears. It can follow not follow any commands.

Faint or moderate conjuration

Beads of farce - This small black sphere appears to be a lusterless pearl. You can throw it up to 60 feet with no range penalties. Upon sharp impact, the bead explodes, sending forth a burst that causes all creatures within a 10-foot radius to make a DC 10 charisma check or make a sarcastic remark.

Freelance Henchman
2007-10-02, 01:13 PM
Greatclub of Mouse-Slaying: +1 vs. mice, will slay any normal, non-dire mouse in 1 hit. Does not work on anything but bog-standard field mice. You know, the totally harmless, small ones that *any weapon* could kill in 1 hit.

Mirror Shield: A shield that has a very shiny, mirrored front. Unfortunately it shatters as easily as any normal mirror and is therefore completely useless as a shield. It will magically reconstitute itself on the next day if shattered.

Wand of Light and/or Darkness: will cast either Light, Darkness or *both spells at once* with 33.3% probability each. You can not tell what it will cast before activating it. Has 50 charges.

Potion of Barkskin-Head: upon quaffing will cause the effects of the Barkskin spell, but only on the users head. Also available as Potion of Barkskin-Feet.

Drunken Lout Figurine: Will summon a very drunk, very obnoxious commoner who will pick a fight with anyone, including the summoner, in the vicinity for 10 rounds.

Exploding Dagger: does fire damage; 1d4 to the enemy, 1d8 to the wielder. 50% probability to lose the wielding hand on successful strike.

Gem of Myopia: Related to the Gem of True Seeing, this trinket gives the user mild shortsightedness for 5 rounds 1/day.

Crystal Ball of Daydreaming: shows the user wildly optimistic visions of his future, which are *very obviously* completely impossible to achieve.

Pouch of Lint: a small leather pouch that can create 10 grams of pocket lint 1/day.

Zim
2007-10-02, 01:16 PM
small metal wheel that spins around on command
chunk of jade that makes a faint humming sound all the time
hammer that drives nails without bending them
rock that makes sparks when struck
playing cards with magically animated drawings
self lacing boots (command)
wand of summon monster 0 (CR - creatures only)
flat rock/disk that flips over on command
comb that doesn't pull at your hair
waterskin that keeps contents slightly cool and fresh tasting
simple self-winding toys
a spiffy vest that changes patterns by wearer's mood

How's that?

Drglenn
2007-10-02, 01:16 PM
Potion of Unarmed combat: no attack of opportunity for unarmed combat, only works for monks

Wand of Ice: tip of the wand is encased in permanent ice, any attempt to melt the ice destroys the wand

Ball of bouncing: this normal looking metallic ball can bounce of any hard surface, does no damage if it his something, may cause annoyance in others

Yuki Akuma
2007-10-02, 01:20 PM
Lenses of True Seeing - Corrects the user's eyesight. Anyone with perfect vision instead sees everything as blurry and indistinct, causing all of his attacks to have a 20% miss chance.

Mysticforce
2007-10-02, 01:24 PM
Ring of Natural Regeneration
- Allows the wearer to regenerate health at a normal rate after a full night's sleep. Negative penalties from certain status effects such as poison, disease, curses, and spells apply.

Belt of Breathing
- Allows the wearer to breath under any circumstances where he/she is surrounded by breathable atmosphere.

Bottle of Happiness
- After drinking enough of its contents, the imbiber will temporarily gain tremendous confidence in his/her abilities on everything and eventually fall asleep. Smells suspiciously like moonshine.

Blade of Piercing
- A small weapon with a 4-inch blade, double edge. It does piercing damage upon impact.

Morningstar of Fuzziness
- A morning star made of soft and bendy material. Plus it's fuzzy.

Sword of Lethality
- Upon dealing lethal damage, this sword kills the target.

Statuette of Summoning: Debt
- Upon activation, the user's debt(s) increases by 100%. If the user is previously debtless, he/she now owes a debt of 500 <insert appropriate denomination> to the last sentient being he/she had seen.

Draz74
2007-10-02, 01:25 PM
Scent Crystal: This small piece of rock has the magical power to smell strongly like the spice jasmine.

Potion of Frost Giant Breath: Giants don't have breath weapons. Or good hygiene. So drinking this potion makes your breath smell like rotten meat.

continuumc
2007-10-02, 01:49 PM
This topic is great, i'm so going to use some of these to annoy players. bwahahaha..Let's see if I can come up with some..

Set: Gear of Safety

Padded Helmet: This helmet grants the wearer damage reduction of 5 against any self inflicted head injuries.

Cup of Protection: This metallic codpiece confers a 75% protection against accidental critical hits.

Snorkle of Hope: This wooden snorkle enables the wearer to breath underwater, so long as they are under no more than 2 feet of water.

Gloves of Cooling: These gloves enable the wearer to hold really hot objects for a short span of time. Useable 1/day for up to 1 minute.

Safety Line: This five foot magical cord attaches two party members together once the command word "safety" is spoken, and two people are holding it. From that point on, either person gains a +20 to survival checks made in order to find the other person.

Drglenn
2007-10-02, 01:51 PM
Wand of feathers falling: creates feathers
Staff of instantaneous summons: Special spell (see below)

Instantaneous summons
School: Conjuration (Summoning)
Level: Sor/Wiz 0
Components:V,S
Casting Time: free action
Range: Close (25ft+5ft/2 levels)
Effect: One Summoned Creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

Summon any monster

(note the Instantaneous duration, the monster dissapears as soon as it is created)

Storm Bringer
2007-10-02, 01:57 PM
items, with a few suggestions for useful uses for them.

Tobi's Teriffic Self-Topping Tankard: At will: tops up with a pint of a non-magical liquid of your choice. Alchemical stubtances may not be summoned with the Tankard.
(I'd let them summon oil if they think of it. Or very expensive wines.....or just to get pastered.)

Gem of reading: when placed on a book and the command word spoken, this quatz gem will begin to read the text in either a loud, clear voice, or telepathically to the activator of the gem. It will speak the text in the language it is written in. the book does not have to be open to be read. once a day, the user may ask a question to the gem about the contents of the book (for example. 'the cell of prisioner named Tordek Steelson' on a jail register), which it will reveal, provided it is stated in clear uncoded text. (a barbarians best mate...or in the dark)

hmmm, those are actually quite useful non combat items....

Bindfold of blindsight: when worn, the user gians blindsight 5'. however, he cannot see at all(as he;s got a blindfold on) so may not see or make spot checks to detect anything more than 5 feet away (but very useful if an invisable person turns up)

necklace of deeds: this necklace, will, when commanded, recite in a annoucers voice the full name and title of the wearer, along with any notable deeds the wearer chooses. (e.g. "His Grace, the Duke of Alem, Defender of the Palorain Faith, Wielder of the Solar Sword, Deafeater of the Great Dragon Azgal, and Heir presumtive to the Throne." )
(Because having someone else recite your deeds is so much more baddass than doing it yourself)

Telonius
2007-10-02, 02:00 PM
Some slightly less useless items.

Courteous Chairs
This set of table and chairs will pull themselves out for guests. They follow all local rules of etiquette for who gets to sit first, and will not allow anyone to sit before their turn.

Comb of Styling
This item will comb your hair for you. However, upon speaking the command word, you must roll a percentile, and add or subtract your charisma modifier as appropriate. If the result is 10 or less, you suffer a Bad Hair Day (-1 to all charisma-based skills and abilities) for the rest of the day. If the result is 90 or more you get a Good Hair Day (+1 to all charisma-based skills and abilities).

Staff of the Mongoose
This staff is fitted with the carved wooden head of a mongoose. While holding it, you gain a bite attack, 2d10+STR damage, but only against snakes and snake-like enemies. The bite attack overcomes all forms of damage resistance. Should you encounter a snake while holding the Staff of the Mongoose, you must make a DC 20 will save, or attack the snake (to the exclusion of all other foes) using only your bite attack.

Iku Rex
2007-10-02, 02:10 PM
Similar thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53798 .

Mewtarthio
2007-10-02, 02:18 PM
Candle of Solar Invocation--When lit, this candle immediately summons a Solar, which serves the candle loyally for 3d6 rounds.

Alex12
2007-10-02, 02:31 PM
Cloak of Breezeless Billowing
While wearing the cloak, if the effects of wind of a certain strength in a certain direction would make the wearer look more impressive/dramatic, the cloak will simulate the appropriate wind. This is superior to the cape of billowing, since the simulated wind also affects hair and loose clothing. No actual wind is created, nor are any non-visual effects of normal wind canceled.

Golden Key of Rust Resistance
Gold doesn't rust, you see.

Dehydrated water
a small bag containing some amount (DM decides) of a whitish-gray dust. For every gram sprinkled into a volume of potable, nonmagical water, one gallon of potable, nonmagical water will come into being in the same container. This actually would be useful for travellers, but not so much in combat. Actually, that could even be something sold by some shops. Buy one pound of dehydrated water and you've got enough for a decent-sized caravan.

Blindfold of Gorgon Immunity
While wearing the blindfold over your eyes, you are totally immune to gaze attacks.

Wand of Tarrasque Summoning
When used, summons a Tarrasque at the closest place to the summoner that has sufficient space. It cannot appear above any sentient creatures, and it's position will be altered so as not to disturb logal topography. The summoned Tarrasque is hibernating, and will not wake up for 2d6 months, even if attacked. The spell lasts for 5 minutes. 2 charges.

Drglenn
2007-10-02, 02:48 PM
Tobi's Teriffic Self-Topping Tankard: At will: tops up with a pint of a non-magical liquid of your choice. Alchemical stubtances may not be summoned with the Tankard.
(I'd let them summon oil if they think of it. Or very expensive wines.....or just to get pastered.)
Thats just like the Anymug (http://goblinscomic.com/d/20060424.html)

To contribute more:
Helm of Opposition: unless the wearer passes a DC25 will check, the helm changes the alignment of ALL of the character's class features to its polar opposite (i.e. good<=>evil, chaos<=>law) e.g. paladins smite good and good clerics can command/rebuke undead. This does not change any alignment restrictions for classes (e.g. paladins still have to be LG).

kieza
2007-10-02, 02:50 PM
Staff of Staff

Once per day on command, summons a butler, a housekeeper, or a secretary. This staff serves for 8 hours in their stated capacity. The butler has livery, a cool drink, and 8 ranks in knowledge (history, nobility and royalty). The secretary has a notebook, pen and inkwell, and appointment book. The housekeeper has all items necessary to clean a house (broom, mop, bucket, universal solvent for those really tough stains, etc.).

Yuki Akuma
2007-10-02, 03:21 PM
Staff of Staff

Once per day on command, summons a butler, a housekeeper, or a secretary. This staff serves for 8 hours in their stated capacity. The butler has livery, a cool drink, and 8 ranks in knowledge (history, nobility and royalty). The secretary has a notebook, pen and inkwell, and appointment book. The housekeeper has all items necessary to clean a house (broom, mop, bucket, universal solvent for those really tough stains, etc.).

This is, actually, a very useful item. Especially the infinite Universal Solvent.

BardicDuelist
2007-10-02, 03:28 PM
Lenses of True Seeing - Corrects the user's eyesight. Anyone with perfect vision instead sees everything as blurry and indistinct, causing all of his attacks to have a 20% miss chance.

Ha! Now I can take the Murkey-Eyed flaw and have no penalty.

andux
2007-10-02, 05:43 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/andux/Avatars/NagOfHolding.png
Nag of Holding
Originally fashioned at the request of an adventuter's mother, this magical sack functions as an ordinary bag of holding in most respects; however, this particular bag is able to speak, and will periodically dispense unsolicited advice and reminders to its holder.

sefiru
2007-10-03, 12:07 AM
Cup of spilling: as soon as this cup's handle is released, it will tip over and spill its contents on the nearest person.

Replacement
2007-10-03, 01:16 AM
Belt of Breathing
- Allows the wearer to breath under any circumstances where he/she is surrounded by breathable atmosphere.

This actualy counters the spell Drown! Man..... how much?

Machete
2007-10-03, 01:39 AM
Cup of spilling: as soon as this cup's handle is released, it will tip over and spill its contents on the nearest person.

There has to be something horrible that can be put in this cup to spill on someone or use them like liquid splashing mines full of acid or disease ridden something or other. Or dire something musk.

Vay
2007-10-03, 01:41 AM
For the macho or those plagued by overzealous swashbucklers:
Shirt of Mending:
No matter what damage is done to this shirt, it repairs itself to new condition in 1d3 rounds.

Sheathe of prestidigitation:
Any weapon put away into this sheathe is automatically cleaned, or has its color changed.

This next one is inspired by a special someone's game.
Magic Token: Grapplegoat
A small figurine of a goat with a rope around its waist, when activated, the goat becomes the size of a normal goat, the rope bound around the goat becomes a normal hempen rope of 50 ft in length, and the goatgrapple lasts for one hour. It constantly makes noise and responds to the name "buzzer". (Myeeeeeeeehh)

SoD
2007-10-03, 09:48 AM
These are all great, I can hardly wait until Sunday to start putting them in!

Kurald Galain
2007-10-03, 10:22 AM
Has anyone seen the Armoire of Invincibility, from 8-bit Theatre?

TK-Squared
2007-10-03, 11:38 AM
Anybottle
The Anybottle is a plastic bottle that can hold 500ml of liquid. The top is a sports cap and no other liquid can be forced into it. The Anybottle is full of a clear liquid which replenishes whenever some is used.

When held in two hands by sentinent creature, the Anybottle's liquid changes into any other magical liquid (Including magical liquids) that the user may desire. However, when the liquid is removed from the bottle, it turns into highly flammable urine.

streakster
2007-10-03, 12:16 PM
Half-Brick of Immovability - can be moved only by magic. No force but magic affects the half-brick, and the half-brick cannot be destroyed.

Harmonic Metal - This metal may be molded like clay while the molder is singing, but is hard as steel otherwise.

Greater Bag of Holding - anything fits in, nothing comes out.

Demonic Staff of Necromantic Slaying - A broken off demon's arm, holding a black orb. When used, kills someone, with no chance to save. There is no way to target it, however - someone in the world just dies. Anyone. Might be the enemy you're facing, you're best friend, a dirt farmer in the next country...anyone.

Tome of Lies - when opened, contains a page full of lies about whatever the holder was thinking about.

Helmet of Clarity of Thought - makes your thoughts perfectly clear to others. Everyone within 50 ft of you hears the helmet loudly narrate what you're thinking, with sarcastic comments added.

The Doom Bell - when rung, everyone, everywhere, on every plane, will hear it. The demons in hell, the angels in heaven, all the elementals, every human being, all the animals -everyone. Said to be the alarm the gods left for the end of the world.

Portable Hole Amulet - creates a hole below and a hole above the wielder, linked. The wielder will fall into the bottom hole, fall out of the top hole, and infinitely repeat.

CockroachTeaParty
2007-10-03, 12:27 PM
Tome of Lies - when opened, contains a page full of lies about whatever the holder was thinking about.

That sounds like most textbooks I own.

Whistling One
2007-10-03, 01:52 PM
Mirror of the Dawn - When the user views him(her)self in the mirror, they will instead see what they had for breakfast that morning. Any other object or person viewed in the mirror appears normally.

Rapunzel's Reprisal - These simple shears function as normal scissors until used to cut hair, at which time they cause an equal length of hair to grow from a random location on the haircutter's body.

Wagon of the Beaten Path - Although appearing to be a normal 10ft wagon of rough hewn timbers, this wagon is capable of transporting cargo up to 25ft in any dimension and weighing 10000lbs. The wagon is also unable to be moveduntil the proper command word is given. When the command word is given, it prompts the wagon into self-propelled movement in a continuous 25ft circle.

Black Kettle Fatestone - When boiled in a large black kettle filled with fish stew for three hours, anyone who does not eat any of the stew, but instead scrapes all of the remains from the sides of the pot and casts them into the cookfire will be granted with a vision of how their life would have been that day had they chosen to spend their life as a kitchen scullion instead of their current career. If the Black Kettle Fatestone is used thusly by anyone who IS a kitchen scullion, no vision will appear, although the user will suffer from a profound sense of deja vu. Anyone eating the soup will be unaffected in anyway, other than swearing that they tasted potato in the soup, even if none were added. The Black Kettle Fatestone is not affected by the boiling and may be reused.

The Scoundrel's Forfeit - A set of 1000 matching platinum coins commissioned to pay a wager made with a rival, each coin of the set has been enchanted to prevent the owner from being able to spend it. The coin will instead find a way to either become lost of given away in a manner that brings no gain to the owner. Over the years since the set was commisioned, the coins have become scattered, and none of their locations are known, as no one has found a way to retain possession of a coin for more than a tenday's time.

Rex Blunder
2007-10-03, 02:01 PM
I really like some of these - some of streakster's seem like they could actually encourage creative thinking by the players, which I think was the OP's intent. The Whistling One's seem less useful, but they're funny.

So was the scoundrel able to use the platinum coins to pay his rival? Did they ever get into his hands at all, or did the platinumsmith lose them before delivery?

Whistling One
2007-10-03, 02:03 PM
Folklore has it that it was a contingency that took effect when his rival received them, but no one knows for sure.

And there is probably some use for the scissors, tho I'd be hard pressed to think of what it would be

Runolfr
2007-10-03, 02:08 PM
Handy Staff

If the owner of this staff holds it upright and speaks the command word, it will remain floating upright. If the owner moves, the staff will float along behind him or her, remaining in the same relative distance as long as it can do so in a horizontal plane; it can not go up stairs, follow the owner down into pits, or otherwise move vertically. It cannot move through solid objects, and will stop if its path is obstructed. If the owner gets more than ten feet from it for any reason, it falls to the ground. The owner can end the effect by simply taking hold of the staff.

Apart from remaining nearby when the owner's hands are full, the staff has no other magical properties. Despite its appearance, this item should be considered a wondrous item.

Faint conjuration; CL 3rd; Craft Wondrous Item, unseen servant; Price 5400 gp.

Rex Blunder
2007-10-03, 02:16 PM
Basically most items that provide convenience or comfort are useless to D&D players, except to sell.

A bedroll that's as comfortable as a super-comfortable bed. A spice that adds a +4 deliciousness bonus to all your meals. A coin belt that always provides you with exact change, without you having to pick through all your copper and silver pieces. A bandage that doesn't heal any HP, but makes your wounds not hurt as much. A ring of never having to go to the bathroom.

They wouldn't be useless to the characters. Just the players.

Alex12
2007-10-03, 02:43 PM
Anybottle
The Anybottle is a plastic bottle that can hold 500ml of liquid. The top is a sports cap and no other liquid can be forced into it. The Anybottle is full of a clear liquid which replenishes whenever some is used.

When held in two hands by sentinent creature, the Anybottle's liquid changes into any other magical liquid (Including magical liquids) that the user may desire. However, when the liquid is removed from the bottle, it turns into highly flammable urine.

That could actually be useful. Hold it upside down, and an infinite amount of highly flammable liquid comes out. Coat a floor in it, lure someone in, toss a match in, they get torched. For that matter, put it at the entrance of a dungeon for a few days, so that the liquid really starts filling it up, then set it on fire. For extra evil, cover the entrance so the monsters inside suffocate.

Zim
2007-10-03, 08:13 PM
For that matter, put it at the entrance of a dungeon for a few days, so that the liquid really starts filling it up, then set it on fire. For extra evil, cover the entrance so the monsters inside suffocate.

Yeah, because NO dungeon has...I dunno...drainage or a secondary entrance/egress. :smallwink:

empty wand
grey ioun stone
any exhausted charged item

Krugg
2007-10-03, 08:30 PM
Fuzzy slippers/Ug boots

+1 on Fort saves to resist effects of "Cold Dangers"

They can find them in a desert or any other boiling hot area

Mewtarthio
2007-10-03, 09:33 PM

The Doom Bell - when rung, everyone, everywhere, on every plane, will hear it. The demons in hell, the angels in heaven, all the elementals, every human being, all the animals -everyone. Said to be the alarm the gods left for the end of the world.

I actually like these two a lot. The Tome could be handy hidden at the end of some nasty dungeon: The players read it and mistakenly believe that they have just learned something valuable about whatever major thing they were going for. The Doom Bell looks like a Major Artifact. I imagine some sort of construct standing next to it, ready to ring away once the MacGuffin of Doom is compromised.

reorith
2007-10-03, 09:37 PM
boots of walking and ambling
while wearing these boots and while not carrying a heavy load and wearing light or no armour, the wearer can move at their base land speed as long as the terrain or environment doesn't impede them.

Rinquist
2007-10-03, 09:39 PM
Ethereal Umbrella -Functions as a normal umbrella, except that rain falls right through it.

Ralfarius
2007-10-03, 09:43 PM
or a disintegrating wand (it disintegrates itself when used).
Well... Whaddya know? It dithintegrated.

Brawls
2007-10-03, 10:20 PM
These are not useless magic items, they just have very specific and limited uses.

Self-Cleaning Boots
These traveling boots will shed themselves of all dirt, stains, and debris prior to entering a dwelling or place of business (including dungeons).

Bracers of Reflection
Multi-faceted steel bracers, polished to a high shine. Confer no bonuses, but cast reflections of any light source in all directions like a disco ball (including at the wearer). No reflection is bright enough to blind anyone affected.

Hat of Weather Sense
A felt hat that if worn, becomes sodden one hour in advance of an approaching rainstorm or snowstorm. Similarly, the hat will become dry (and remain so) one hour before the storm passes.

Hatchet of Splitting
A camp hatchet suitable for splitting wood, The hatchet will always split wood into equal pieces, even if intentionally directed otherwise. Branches cut lengthwise must first be cut in half, then each half must be cut in half, and so on. Log rings will be split precisely in half; halves will be quartered, and so on. Does not decrease the number of strokes needed to cut the intended wood.

Campware of Cleaning
Bowl, plate, cup, knife, fork, and spoon. All made of sturdy, non-descript metal. When a command word in spoken and they are shaken, all material attached to the item falls off, leaving the campware perfectly clean.

Tankard of Buzzkill
Any alcoholic beaverage poured in the tankard will become lighter in color, taste watered down, and have roughly 1/3 the original alcohol content. (great for winning drinking contests and gather information attempts).

Comb Ammulet
A bronze-colored ammulet in the shape of a tear drop (approximately 1-inch across) designed to resemble a honey comb. When held close to one's ear a faint buzzing, as if from a hive can be heard. When worn, will keep all normal insects at least 10' from wearer.

Enjoy,

Brawls

Freelance Henchman
2007-10-04, 05:56 AM
I actually like these two a lot. The Tome could be handy hidden at the end of some nasty dungeon: The players read it and mistakenly believe that they have just learned something valuable about whatever major thing they were going for. The Doom Bell looks like a Major Artifact. I imagine some sort of construct standing next to it, ready to ring away once the MacGuffin of Doom is compromised.

If every silly adventurer who happened to amble by could ring that bell I think Ao would have destroyed it at some point because the noise got on his nerves :smallsmile:

Serpentine
2007-10-04, 06:45 AM
I think the word SoD's looking for is "unuseless".

Decanter of Endless Water ...with a leak.

Roderick_BR
2007-10-04, 07:10 AM
Easiest way: Itens that mimic prestidigitation effects. Not the prestidigitation spell itself, a specific effect for each item.
They can actually be useful outside of combat, like the "mug of coffee heating" (rise temperature of an object) or the "mug of cold beer" (lowers temperature of an object), or "pigments of temporary coloring" (casts a illusion on a surface, to make it look cool, like making the banner of a holy order show up on the surface of a shield, or change a person's hair or skin color).
And the always useful "magic comb", that always helps to comb those mangled hairs in the morning, or the "magic clothes washer", a big box that you put clothes in, and it gets cleaned of mundane dirty (helps to make the smelly barbarian less smelly).

Dullyanna
2007-10-04, 08:03 AM
If every silly adventurer who happened to amble by could ring that bell I think Ao would have destroyed it at some point because the noise got on his nerves :smallsmile:

I think he'd just have a PPDC and its cult guard it:smallwink: . Oh, and Ralfarius should get a cookie or something.

Waspinator
2007-10-04, 10:14 AM
Mice-Nine:
This grey powder is actually a highly complex magical catalyst that causes a chain reaction in any mouse it touches, causing it's chemical structure to alter so that it will freeze at room temperature. Further, the mouse gains the properties of Mice-Nine itself and will itself cause any other mice it touches to freeze. If abused, this highly valuable artifact could cause a Muridae apocalypse, so the gods created a counter to it, the Cat's Cradle. If any adventurer would be so bold as to seek it, the Cat's Cradle can be found in the Castle Vonnegut in the land of Slaughterhouse-Five.

Zim
2007-10-04, 10:40 AM
[QUOTE=Roderick_BR;3290553]Easiest way: Itens that mimic prestidigitation effects. QUOTE]

I think you hit the nail on the head there! Useful household items and tools that do a specific minor magical trick would use that spell as a base.

Self-twirling pasta fork
Bedsheets that stay fresh and clean
Paintings with animated subjects (thanks Harry Potter!)

SoD
2007-10-04, 12:07 PM
A rope of knots. It is found in a complicated knot, and, when untied (use rope DC-20) it remains a normal rope...until you let go, at which point it ties itself up again (if possible) unraveling and tieing up over a period of 1d6 rounds.

Alex12
2007-10-04, 12:31 PM
A rope of knots. It is found in a complicated knot, and, when untied (use rope DC-20) it remains a normal rope...until you let go, at which point it ties itself up again (if possible) unraveling and tieing up over a period of 1d6 rounds.

Then have a city decide to elect their leader based on who could untie the knot and have it stay untied for at least 60 seconds.

The way to win, of course, is the Alexander solution. Choppy- chop. :smallbiggrin:

Telonius
2007-10-04, 01:13 PM
Alchemist's Pouch

This pouch seems to be an ordinary pouch, with the alchemical symbol for gold embroidered on it. The pouch opens to an extradimensional space, but will only allow fingernail or toenail clippings to be placed within it. If 3 tons of fingernail or toenail clippings are placed within the pouch, the pouch will produce a single gold piece.

Zim
2007-10-04, 01:22 PM
Alchemist's Pouch

This pouch seems to be an ordinary pouch, with the alchemical symbol for gold embroidered on it. The pouch opens to an extradimensional space, but will only allow fingernail or toenail clippings to be placed within it. If 3 tons of fingernail or toenail clippings are placed within the pouch, the pouch will produce a single gold piece.

Ummm....Ewwww?

Telonius
2007-10-04, 01:54 PM
Well, toenails and fingernails actually contain trace amounts of gold. We can blame this one on a Gnome wizard, I think.

The Great Skenardo
2007-10-04, 02:12 PM
Magic Coo Ball
This featureless white sphere of stone makes a loud mooing noise when rubbed and then again every twenty seconds afterwards until rubbed once more.

Ghost Chalk
This luminescent stick of white chalk enables its bearer to draw ghostly Images, just as marvellous pigments, except that the created items are incorporeal.

Featherweight Anchor
This black iron anchor is in fact light as a feather. However, when submerged in any liquid, it instantly becomes as heavy as a real anchor and remains so until the command word is spoken.

Roll of Endless Toilet Paper
'Nuff said.

Dwarven Charm
When worn, this charm causes the wearer's hair to grow at twice the normal rate.

The Talking Bust of Caman-Kree
This stone statue is carved in the shape of the head of a fat, wealthy-looking merchant. When the accompanying amulet is worn, anything the wearer says is instantly repeated by the statue in a deep gravelly voice.

Ilmen Darkflame
2007-10-04, 02:13 PM
The Orb of Tuesday.

When the wearer clasps the orb with both hands and utters the command word, the orb projects an aura of Tuesday in a 10' emenation from itself. Within this aura, it is (for all intents and purposes) Tuesday.

Overwhelming Transmutation. CL 17, Time Stop Market Price: -

reorith
2007-10-04, 02:14 PM
gloves of self doubt and loathing
these fancy looking gloves are made from some exotic hide(dragon,dark mantle, beholder etc). when worn they make the weilder realize how much he or she sucks at life. every one within a 30 foot radius agrees if they fail a dc15 will save. these feelings impose a -2 morale penalty to everything until the character's deathor until they receive a remove curse spell.

moderate enchantment; cl 6th; craft wondrous item, bestow curse; price 200 gp.

Runolfr
2007-10-04, 02:55 PM
Featherweight Anchor
This black iron anchor is in fact light as a feather. However, when submerged in any liquid, it instantly becomes as heavy as a real anchor and remains so until the command word is spoken.

I can actually see where certain ship captains might want one of these.

The Talking Bust of Caman-Kree
This stone statue is carved in the shape of the head of a fat, wealthy-looking merchant. When the accompanying amulet is worn, anything the wearer says is instantly repeated by the statue in a deep gravelly voice.

This would make a good long-range communication system, especially if you had two sets.

Telonius
2007-10-04, 03:26 PM
The Orb of Tuesday.

When the wearer clasps the orb with both hands and utters the command word, the orb projects an aura of Tuesday in a 10' emenation from itself. Within this aura, it is (for all intents and purposes) Tuesday.

Overwhelming Transmutation. CL 17, Time Stop Market Price: -

:smallamused: I'll finally be able to collect payment on all of those hamburgers!

Shas aia Toriia
2007-10-04, 04:29 PM
Bag of Holding 0 This bag can contain any normal item that fits within. If something puctures the outside, all the contents that fit through immediately tumble out.

Hakola
2007-10-04, 06:24 PM
Hmm let's see, how about these (pseudo)powerful items of (possibly) arcane nature?

Moneybag of the beggarking - A quite large moneybag that will exchange all money that is stored in it into copper pieces of equal value (10 sp will transform into 100 cp). The moneybag can only hold about 200 coins, so filling it to the brim with platinum pieces is probably a baaad idea.

Knife of ill fate - This blackhandled knife allow the character to perform a coup de grace on an opponent that is considered helpless. The knife of ill fate can't deliver a coup de grace on a creature that is immune to critical hits.

Alex12
2007-10-04, 06:37 PM
Ultimate Temporal Rift Antimatter Grenade of DOOM!!!

Throwing it activates the delayed temporal effect first. Then it opens a direct portal to the Antimatter Plane. You may describe the effects to your pleasure, but suffice to say it will be exceedingly destructive.

Once the planet you're on is destroyed, the temporal effect activates, and sweeps everything back to just before the grenade was armed. The thrower, and nobody else, remembers the effects.

Roderick_BR
2007-10-04, 06:49 PM
Handy Staff

If the owner of this staff holds it upright and speaks the command word, it will remain floating upright. If the owner moves, the staff will float along behind him or her, remaining in the same relative distance as long as it can do so in a horizontal plane; it can not go up stairs, follow the owner down into pits, or otherwise move vertically. It cannot move through solid objects, and will stop if its path is obstructed. If the owner gets more than ten feet from it for any reason, it falls to the ground. The owner can end the effect by simply taking hold of the staff.

Apart from remaining nearby when the owner's hands are full, the staff has no other magical properties. Despite its appearance, this item should be considered a wondrous item.

Faint conjuration; CL 3rd; Craft Wondrous Item, unseen servant; Price 5400 gp.
Good to hang clothes to dry, or to hang umbrellas. :smallwink:

Yeah, because NO dungeon has...I dunno...drainage or a secondary entrance/egress. :smallwink:
Make it a natural cavern, and you have a good chance that it has no back exit, and water can't drain (being usually absorbed by the earth). Find one full of monsters, and XP galore. Making it just become normal (dirty) water is good to tease players though. "Dude, this thing is detecting as healing magic" "Ptuu... it tastes awful... and I don't feel healed" :smalltongue:

Ethereal Umbrella -Functions as a normal umbrella, except that rain falls right through it.
But it protects you against incorporeal rain :smallbiggrin:

Bag of bottomless holding: A bag that you can put anything in, and it never gets full. Oddly enough, the itens appear on the ground after you lift it.

Dairun Cates
2007-10-04, 06:58 PM
I have actually used the following

Arrow of Light- Single Arrow. Lighting Spell Cast on it.

Rod of Welding-Upon touch, attaches itself to any metal it touches. Requires a power word that is commonly said to detach (like "it"). Anything touching metal that touches the rod of welding is also stuck to the group.

Flute of Unicorn Summoning-Summons a Unicorn. However, only the pure of heart can see it. To most adventurers, it does nothing.

The Cape of Greater Damage-Increases the crit modifier of anyone that wears it, but also increases the crit modifier of anyone that hits them while wearing it.

More Later. Have class.

Alex12
2007-10-04, 08:31 PM
Flute of Unicorn Summoning-Summons a Unicorn. However, only the pure of heart can see it. To most adventurers, it does nothing.
So, not only does it summon a Unicorn (and summoned creatures obey the summoner, right?) but the Unicorn's invisible? That's not useless at all!

Also, does the "pure of heart" thing have to be pure good? That's always bugged me. I would laugh if I saw a scene in a movie or something making fun of that.
BBEG:*Tries to use McGuffin. Nothing happens*
Hero:*Stands up triumphantly*Hah! Only the pure of heart can use that! It's useless to you!
BBEG:*Grins evilly*Oh, I know only the pure of heart can use it. I was just faking that so you'd abandon your cover so I could do THIS! *zaps Hero*
Hero:*dying*How...did you?...
BBEG:"Pure of heart" doesn't specifically mean good. I just so happen to be pure evil. That works fine.
Hero:...
Crap.
*dies*

Toric
2007-10-05, 01:21 PM
Potion of Greater Fortitude - Upon imbibing this potion, the user attempts a DC 80 Fortitude save. If the save is successful, the user gains +2 Fortitude for 24 hours.

Potion of Cat's Taste - Upon imbibing this potion, the user develops an appetite for mundane vermin for 8 hours.

Rainbow Robe - This exquisite red robe has a scroll of Prestidigitation sewn into each arm. When each scroll is read, the robe's color continuously changes, shifting through each color of the rainbow in order repeatedly for one hour.

This last one isn't useless at all, but it makes the wearer seem useless by comparison.

Ring of Heart - This ring was crafted by a priest of the now-dead goddess Gaia. When first worn, this ring confers a permanent Speak With Animals effect upon the wearer, while at the same time permanently granting one 3/day Spell-Like Ability each to five random commoners within 1000 feet. The Spell-Like Abilities are Delayed Blast Fireball, Earthquake, Control Winds, and Control Water, all at Caster Level 15. The original wearer of the ring constantly hears about the heroic exploits of these commoners but never meets any of them. This ring's effects are only granted one time (three people cannot wear this ring and remove it, each gaining Speak with Animals) and continue whether or not the ring is removed or the commoners remain within 1000 feet of the user. Only the user's death, a Wish, or a Miracle may end the effects of this ring, removing its benefits from everybody involved and freeing the ring to be used by another individual.

Telonius
2007-10-05, 01:51 PM
Heroine's Tiara
Placed on the head of a female (CHA 15+), this tiara will summon a swarm of 2d8 + (Charisma modifier) songbirds, rodents, small forest creatures, or fish (if in an aquatic environment) 1/day. The wearer can speak with them as per the "Speak with Animals" spell. The wearer must decide upon summoning whether the creatures will aid in a perform check, or do a minor task.

If she chooses "aid," the summoned creatures provide a +4 bonus on a Perform (Dance) or Perform (Song) check, and disappear after the performance stops.

If she chooses "minor task," the creatures perform some minor task specified by the wearer. This task cannot be any directly offensive action, such as, "Attack the guard." However, it can be an indirectly harmful action, such as "Distract the guard," or "Steal the key and bring it here." The summoned creatures always succeed at their task, usually in the cutest and/or most humorous way possible. They disappear after the task is complete.

However, either use of the tiara comes with great risk. Upon summoning the creatures, all of the wearer's allies become Nauseated for 2d10 minutes, due to the sickening cuteness of it all (DC 25 Fortitude save negates). All characters are potentially affected, no matter what - even if a character is immune to magical disease, is a construct, does not eat, etc. The DC is increased by 5 if a character is of Evil alignment.

Chaos Bringer
2007-10-05, 02:39 PM
Potion of Cat's Taste - Upon imbibing this potion, the user develops an appetite for mundane vermin for 8 hours.

This is going in my campaign!

Ring of Heart - This ring was crafted by a priest of the now-dead goddess Gaia. When first worn, this ring confers a permanent Speak With Animals effect upon the wearer, while at the same time permanently granting one 3/day Spell-Like Ability each to five random commoners within 1000 feet. The Spell-Like Abilities are Delayed Blast Fireball, Earthquake, Control Winds, and Control Water, all at Caster Level 15. The original wearer of the ring constantly hears about the heroic exploits of these commoners but never meets any of them. This ring's effects are only granted one time (three people cannot wear this ring and remove it, each gaining Speak with Animals) and continue whether or not the ring is removed or the commoners remain within 1000 feet of the user. Only the user's death, a Wish, or a Miracle may end the effects of this ring, removing its benefits from everybody involved and freeing the ring to be used by another individual.

Simple, start a game with one person with this ring and 5 other commoner players. go out in the middle of nowhere and use it. He just wouldnt be able to associate with the other players due to the ring. A pocket wish spell could also end the effects for the commoners at humorous times too :smallbiggrin:

Nerdanel
2007-10-06, 09:32 AM
Hat of Anachronistic Politeness
This well-made gray felt hat of otherworldly design (unless you are playing d20 Modern) enforces a strange code of politeness upon its wearer. Every time the wearer comes within 20 feet of a female, the hat levitates itself ten inches above the wearer's head for one round. The hat cannot levitate if it's held physically in place by an item or a person.

Self-illuminating Crystal
When a command word is spoken, this crystal (and only this crystal) will be illuminated as if by bright daylight for 1 minute. The light in question is illusory. This makes the crystal easier to see in the dark, with no effect on the crystal's surroundings. All characters will be able to see or not as they would without the crystal.

Extremist Dagger
This dagger looks like a normal dagger, but instead of doing 1d4 damage, it does either 1 or 4 points, with 50% chance of each.

Very Chaotic Longsword
This weapon appears to be a standard chaotic longsword, but every time the wielder scores a critical hit, the damage is either tripled (instead of standard double damage on a critical) or made negative, in essence healing the target. Both effects have a 50% chance of happening.

Serpentine
2007-10-06, 12:15 PM
Damn. I was just given a better name for my magic item. v.v

Holey Decanter of Endless Water

Don'cha hate when that happens.

WitchSlayer
2007-10-06, 12:27 PM

No ability to summon a high level druid? By your powers combined...

Tengu
2007-10-06, 12:49 PM
No ability to summon a high level druid? By your powers combined...

I always thought Captain Planet is more of an outsider.

There, I said it. Now please forgive me, I am going to kick myself in the head.

Yuki Akuma
2007-10-06, 01:40 PM
I always thought Captain Planet is more of an outsider.

There, I said it. Now please forgive me, I am going to kick myself in the head.

With druid spellcasting and plant traits.

And regeneration, which is overcome by pollution.

Toric
2007-10-06, 03:35 PM
Simple, start a game with one person with this ring and 5 other commoner players. go out in the middle of nowhere and use it. He just wouldnt be able to associate with the other players due to the ring. A pocket wish spell could also end the effects for the commoners at humorous times too :smallbiggrin:

Good luck finding a player to play the poor sap wearing the ring. Even Batman wouldn't be able to compare to Mr. Delayed Blast Fireball for a LONG time.

And now suddenly I'm imagining DnD stats for Captain Planet and the Planeteers.

de-trick
2007-10-06, 04:53 PM
twig of power

this finely made twig is a +100 twig it causes 1 nonlethal damage