PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good system for sea-faring rules

Kol Korran
2019-04-16, 07:27 AM
Hey there folks.

A long time ago I tried running a sea faring campaign. The system was D&D 3.5, with some modifications. At the time, I tried using Stromwrack (with a few minor modifications to fit the game), but it was... an immensely cumbersome system, a headache both for me a a GM and for the players.

I recently though up that game again, but the prospect of dealing with that mess doesn't appeal to me. I'm still undecided on the system. I was looking for rules on handling sea-faring:

1- I noticed the Pathfinder system, and I definitely like it's simplified combat system, though it's overall reliance on just the Profession (Sailor) skill is a bit TOO simplified for me. One thing that worried me though, is about when it comes to actual fight between the crews- the system have the PCs fight the other ship's captain and major characters, and kind of ignores the fight between the other crew members. I do like the combat to focus on the PCs, and being smaller and more manageable, but dislike utterly ignoring the other crew. I think force disparity (If by numbers, abilities or skill) should matter. What worries me more is the approach to crew casualties- the system assumes that the crew replenishes it's numbers from those of the defeated crew... Now, while this may be all and well for the Adventure Path it was designed for (I understand it comes from Skulls & Shackles? A pirate campaign?) It doesn't necessarily fit other types of sea faring. What if the two crews don't fit together? (Sworn enemies, don't speak the same language, one crew is made out of mindless undead which collapse once the necromancer dies?) How do you deal with crew casualties?

2- I heard that D&D 5E was supposed to publish a sea faring expansion book. Has it come out yet? Has anyone had any experience with it?

Any advice, ideas and such from people who ran or played sea faring campaigns are appreciated. I'm mostly interested in the following aspects:
- Naval combat, both between ships and boarding.
- Running a ship: Both the ship itself, it's supplies and crew.
- Handling sea voyage: Mostly weather and navigation.

Looking for a mostly simplified system, which runs fairly smoothly, with small- moderate level of complexity. Enough to make the choices meaningful and exciting, not enough to make it an almost separate system to learn.

Thanks in advance,
Kol.

Lord Torath
2019-04-16, 12:29 PM
I suppose the question really comes down to what sea-faring mechanics are important to you? Ship to Ship combat? Crew Combat? Getting lost? Avoiding sinking?

The Spelljammer boxed set War Captain's Companion had some decent rules for crew combat. Ship-to-ship combat also, but maneuvering in Wildspace is very different from maneuvering on the top of an ocean, where wind direction plays a much greater role, so those rules will probably not be useful to you. The Adventures in Space boxed set also had crew combat, but it was kind of clunky, and required a lot of work calculating HD ratios and relative Armor Classes and such. Seemed like more effort than it was worth. You could also try BattleSystem rules.

The D&D Expert rule book had rules for sea travel, including weather and storms.

The 2E AD&D Sourcebook Of Ships and the Sea might be worth checking out. It had seaworthiness ratings for the different ships.

Something that is important to plan for (for Spelljammer campaigns as well) is what happens when the PCs lose? When their ship sinks, does the campaign end? What kinds of rescues will you use? How often can they be used before they become stale?

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-16, 12:37 PM
You could look at 7th Sea, which is all about a fantasy world of pirates and swashbuckling. The combat system has a lot of adapting and feinting, but it is a bit different than something like DnD.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-04-16, 03:57 PM
Are you looking for a stand-alone ruleset you can use with the system of your choice (3.5?), or a new system that includes good vehicle rules?

Mordar
2019-04-16, 05:06 PM
You could look at 7th Sea, which is all about a fantasy world of pirates and swashbuckling. The combat system has a lot of adapting and feinting, but it is a bit different than something like DnD.

...and it appears Chaosium is releasing a new version...though they did also bring along John Wick, so YMMV

- M

Thinker
2019-04-16, 07:10 PM
...and it appears Chaosium is releasing a new version...though they did also bring along John Wick, so YMMV

- M

The second edition of 7th Sea is already out. It is a very different game where the only thing tying it to the original is the setting. Second edition is much more narrative-focused. I found some of the mechanics distracting and less-enjoyable than when I played the first edition all those years ago.