PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Just for fun: Favorite race you’ve never played?

Zaq
2019-04-16, 08:52 AM
As the title suggests, what’s your favorite race that, for whatever reason, you’ve never actually played a character of? Flavor, mechanics, whatevs.

I love muckdwellers, but I’ve never brought one to the table. I like the idea of dusklings and skarn, but I’ve never gotten one of them together either. I’m quite fond of neraphim as well and I’ve constructed several neraph characters, but none of them have seen table time. Changelings, too.

Perhaps I’ll circle back around later and discuss the whys behind some of these. For now, though, it’s your turn!

Particle_Man
2019-04-16, 09:00 AM
Stonechild could be interesting but would need to be in a high level campaign. I might even finagle a master of nine out of it.

Segev
2019-04-16, 09:32 AM
I love the concept behind the Dvati, but their mechanics are such a mess (understandably so). But one character with two twin bodies is a neat concept.

liquidformat
2019-04-16, 09:37 AM
I really like poison dusk lizardfolk, I think lizardfolk are a really cool concept and poison dusk are definitely the best of them. Also the war troll they are awesome.

Rebel7284
2019-04-16, 09:38 AM
Dragonborn Mongrelfolk
Mechanatrix
Anthropomorphic Baleen Whale
Gloura

Rijan_Sai
2019-04-16, 09:49 AM
Tibbit.

Normally, I'm not a big fan of cats; however, the idea of playing a Tibbit warlock (https://youtu.be/e5fiBFhf9OQ?list=PLIVZMLywSUho3hUMLURGIznrTagiaE7s L&t=39) is just so much fun!

Bronk
2019-04-16, 10:04 AM
For me, a pixie, as long as I could play it as tiny size as it's pictured. I usually like to play long lived races, I like the smallness, the flight, the illusion magics, at will greater invisibility would be perfect on a thief (or anyone else), and they're a lot like better versions of Earthdawn windlings. It's just a lot of LA to deal with in a normal game, and with a high potential to be a hassle for DMs.

NontheistCleric
2019-04-16, 11:03 AM
Illithid, perhaps. My favorites are often subject to change and my DM just lets us play whatever we want with no regard to LA (even LA: - ), so it may not be 'never played' for long anyway.

Remuko
2019-04-16, 11:41 AM
Petal. Ive played Pixies but Petal is closer to what I wanted to play when playing them, I just didnt know of them at the time.

Cygnia
2019-04-16, 11:53 AM
I've got a Spiker Dervish that's yet to get some long-time play.

Psyren
2019-04-16, 12:16 PM
For me it's Astomoi (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/more-races/race-points-unknown/astomoi/) - my absolute favorite psychic/psionic themed race, I've been dying to play one. In addition to their awesome crunch and fluff, their art is simply faaaaaabulous:

https://66.media.tumblr.com/30937aa59d9fd198867ed3785c73de5b/tumblr_inline_opgoq8miTF1s2vv7d_400.png

GrayDeath
2019-04-16, 12:54 PM
Silver Dragon.

What? ^^

razorback
2019-04-16, 01:18 PM
Thorn's from MM2. Not worth it from a mechanical viewpoint but there's something that was always... appealing about them.

Malphegor
2019-04-16, 03:01 PM
Goliaths look fun. Some of the benefits of being Large, but still with only +1 LA. Plus their fluff is interesting to me. Half giant, half human, blue skinned mountain men, who typically end up barbarians, like orcs and giants.

I dunno, there’s something about ‘yet another barbaric race’ that says to me ‘yes Malphegor you should play a Archivist Goliath just to mess with people’s expectations’... But I doubt I will.

Steel Dragons are something I want to get my hands on either as a character or a cohort, because CITY DRAGON, HOW DO YOU WORK! Steel grey haired bishie dragons who live in cities! who breathe industrial smog! That is so cool!

FaerieGodfather
2019-04-16, 03:09 PM
Doppelganger. I've only managed to play a couple of Changelings, and I've never gotten a Doppelganger into play.

Komatik
2019-04-16, 03:26 PM
There's a pile, and the reason is always the same: LA. **** that mechanic with a rake. I'm a sucker for alternate movement modes and long-lived Mary Sue nonsense, so two races pretty high up on the list would be Avariel and Fey'ri. One more oddball one would be Ogre Mage.

My absolute most wanted would be a good implementation of a Warhammer-style vampire, but that's have to involve a pretty broken homebrew class that'd look a lot like a full-BAB Druid variant casting from the Death Master spell list and could wear steel while doing it.

ExLibrisMortis
2019-04-16, 04:23 PM
Ummm... primordial ogre mage titan. 5 RHD and 13 LA, off the top of my head, so pretty solidly unplayable (besides the whole "must bathe in blood of elves every month" thing), but so cool :smallsigh:.

the_david
2019-04-16, 05:11 PM
A male Kalashtar bonded with a female quori. Class doesn't really matter.
Mongrelfolk or Illumian would be cool too. I briefly played a Spellscale and would love to give it another try.

unseenmage
2019-04-16, 06:30 PM
I love the concept behind the Dvati, but their mechanics are such a mess (understandably so). But one character with two twin bodies is a neat concept.

This. Definitely this.

Elkad
2019-04-16, 07:11 PM
Poison Dusk Lizardfolk I've played several times, one of my favorites.

ThriKreen is the race I want to play but never have.

MisterKaws
2019-04-16, 07:40 PM
I wish I got the chance to play a Buonman Truenamer(opera singer) or a Karsite Sorcerer(Surprisingly decent bruiser).

But really, the one race I wish I could play as...

Yeah, it's a Kender.

Wish I could play one. Being a CN Kender Spellthief. Because stealing items isn't enough, so I'd use spelltheft constantly on my pals.

FaerieGodfather
2019-04-16, 08:01 PM
ThriKreen is the race I want to play but never have.

Thri-Kreen of Athas was the first D&D book I purchased for myself with my own money.

Buufreak
2019-04-17, 12:18 AM
Still gotta give it to wemec. It's taking everything that sucks about a centaur and replacing it with lion. Horse? Nope, lion. Human? You guessed it, more lion.

skunk3
2019-04-17, 12:27 AM
I haven't had the chance to play an enormous amount of races but of the ones I have tried, Pixie is my favorite thus far. It's a steep LA (+4) so it isn't viable in many games, but man is it worth it in higher level and/or gestalt games. My next race will probably be a Whisper Gnome and I might make him some sort of deadly assassin.

Powerdork
2019-04-17, 12:32 AM
Psiforged.
Terrible mechanics. (Seriously? Carry over a handful of power points from your previous day, for a feat? Those power points can't be combined with your standard allotment of power points, since they're in a separate source? One bonus power point?)
Terrible/fine flavour. ("You sure this is the strat to make a living god of war?" "Yeah absolutely, just jam enough gemeralds in there and you'll eventually have enough power to distort reality.")

Alternately, dragonkin. Cursed with ECL 9 before class levels and a full 7 HD without class skills of any sort. Blessed with badass wings and very tall.

Oberron
2019-04-17, 12:36 AM

Yeah I've only played the dvati once in a game that didn't last a full session because the dm bit off way more than they could chew. But I love their idea too.

Maybe not be a playable race but I've wanted to play a gelatinous cube... just because it would be neat to play an intelligent one.

Eldariel
2019-04-17, 01:34 AM
I'd love to play a Chronotyryn to be honest. But they're not that strong for the levels they'd be appropriate on (since we're deep in the full caster ville at the point), but they're bloody cool. Phane (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/abomination.htm#phane) is another of my perennial favourites. If you ever play a game of mine, you can rest assured a Phane will be somehow involved (whether level appropriate or not).

Thurbane
2019-04-17, 02:59 AM
Yakfolk (MM2): weird mystical yak people that can summon an evil Janni, and can phase into and possess humanoids and giants.

The 5RHD and LA +2 mean I'd only ever play one in a game with LA buyoff, and a high-ish starting level...

MisterKaws
2019-04-17, 05:25 AM
Still gotta give it to wemec. It's taking everything that sucks about a centaur and replacing it with lion. Horse? Nope, lion. Human? You guessed it, more lion.

Where the heck is this race from? I'm drawing a blank with my duckduckgo-fu

Oh. It's wemic.

Telonius
2019-04-17, 07:49 AM
Gnome. Somehow I've never gotten around to it.
Sharakim, from Races of Destiny. Love the tension inherent there.
Spellscale, from Races of the Dragon. They're great for the sorts of characters I usually find myself playing.

Vizzerdrix
2019-04-17, 09:07 AM
I've always wanted to try playing a vrill, or be in an entire party of deep gnomes. Enough to do their ritual thingy.

EDIT- oooh! Or a faen spryte from Monte Cooks arcana evolved. Such an interesting concept for a cleric.

Hunter Noventa
2019-04-17, 10:06 AM
Yeah I've only played the dvati once in a game that didn't last a full session because the dm bit off way more than they could chew. But I love their idea too.

Maybe not be a playable race but I've wanted to play a gelatinous cube... just because it would be neat to play an intelligent one.

I'd love to play an intelligent, shape-shifting ooze, but I don't think its in the cards.

I love Warforged, but I've never played an actual one. (I've played similar things, like an Android-like race, but never an actual Warforged).

I think I remember seeing something called a Woodling that would also be neat to play, but it probably had terrible LA.

Segev
2019-04-17, 10:09 AM
I'd love to play an intelligent, shape-shifting ooze, but I don't think its in the cards.Well, the LA-reassignment project has already done the Phasm; maybe you can talk a GM into letting you play one? I forget what LA they assigned it, though.

Elkad
2019-04-17, 11:01 AM
And stolen from that dex0 thread, I now have an urge to play a Psionic Shrieker.

GrayDeath
2019-04-17, 11:48 AM
Psiforged.
Terrible mechanics. (Seriously? Carry over a handful of power points from your previous day, for a feat? Those power points can't be combined with your standard allotment of power points, since they're in a separate source? One bonus power point?)
Terrible/fine flavour. ("You sure this is the strat to make a living god of war?" "Yeah absolutely, just jam enough gemeralds in there and you'll eventually have enough power to distort reality.")

Alternately, dragonkin. Cursed with ECL 9 before class levels and a full 7 HD without class skills of any sort. Blessed with badass wings and very tall.

Thanks for reminding me, had a homebrew Psiforged concept lying around, will finish it these days. :)

Buufreak
2019-04-17, 12:08 PM
Where the heck is this race from? I'm drawing a blank with my duckduckgo-fu

Oh. It's wemic.

I've seen it spelt both ways, depending on exact source.

Remuko
2019-04-17, 01:21 PM
I'd love to play an intelligent, shape-shifting ooze, but I don't think its in the cards.

it might be 3rd party but PF has the Squole as a humanoid slime person: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/3rd-party-races/alluria-publishing/squole/