PDA

View Full Version : Hexblade level 6 ability

MThurston
2019-04-16, 10:27 AM
I do not want to use this feature. Any ideas from DMs for an alternate ability?

Just so I know, how are people using this ability? Ie a spectre from the monster manual plus my bonuses given in the ability.

Or do I just have the souls be pulled into my weapon and never use the spectre ability?

My next invocation will be to make minor illusions at will. My thoughts are to have my character look all dark and sinister during combat. Then all the time.

It's a concept that my sentient weapon is taking over my good alignment character.

Wildarm
2019-04-16, 10:49 AM
If you have nothing to use your bonus action on then maybe replace it with something like your Pact Weapon can act as a dancing weapon 1/SR?

A minor DPS increase, thematically similar to getting a specter minion for the day and fits the concept of a pact with a sentient weapon.

Skylivedk
2019-04-16, 10:53 AM
I refluffed mine to being a swirl of lost memories. I wasn't too keen on raising undead with my good character either and would have loved more flexibility in the options.

Keravath
2019-04-16, 11:08 AM
It could also be fluffed as atonement rather than raising. Before the spirit is allowed to pass into the afterlife, your character requires their service to atone for their evil deeds. Mechanically similar, just different reasoning which might work depending on your character.

I personally don't like the raising undead aspect either since there is nothing inherently evil in the hexblade fluff and abilities until you get to the specter at level 6 where I find that some work is required to explain why some characters would use a raise dead ability in the first place.

MThurston
2019-04-16, 11:52 AM
I had thought about making it a once a day Spiritual Weapon but it would use a bonus action to direct but I think it's the same way for the spectre

Zaltman
2019-04-16, 11:57 AM
An interesting replacement could be the UA hexblade 6th level shadow hound feature instead. It does not seem to OP to me and is in keeping with your sinister vibe. Does anyone know why it did not make the final cut?

I also think you could refluff the Archfey's Misty Escape to be shadow/darkness effects or replace it with the Way of the Shadows monk 6th level shadow step and put a 2 times per short rest cap on it.

KyleG
2019-04-16, 11:59 AM
I'm flavouring the spectre as a shadow. Should be fun to have two shadows.

MThurston
2019-04-16, 12:00 PM
An interesting replacement could be the UA hexblade 6th level shadow hound feature instead. It does not seem to OP to me and is in keeping with your sinister vibe. Does anyone know why it did not make the final cut?

I also think you could refluff the Archfey's Misty Escape to be shadow/darkness effects or replace it with the Way of the Shadows monk 6th level shadow step and put a 2 times per short rest cap on it.

I didn't think of looking at the other abilities.

MThurston
2019-04-16, 12:10 PM
I think the Undying one that allows you to roll a d8 + con mod for temp HPs when you make a death save would be good.

As in the sentient weapon must have me alive to take over.

Vogie
2019-04-16, 01:01 PM
Give them a bonus invocation. Doubly so if it's something they normally wouldn't pick up themselves, such as the "invisible while in dim light" or 1/day freedom of movement.

I also like the idea of using an animated sword/spiritual weapon clone that allows the weapon to occasionally duplicate itself.