PDA

View Full Version : Pact of the Killjoy

The Kool
2019-04-16, 10:32 AM
So, I saw the 'pact of the blade' thread listed on the front page with Max_Killjoy as the last poster, and my brain shortcircuited that into Pact of the Killjoy. I have no clue what it is, but it sounds entertaining. Any ideas? I'm sure I could come up with something, but I just want to know what other people think when they hear it.

Max_Killjoy
2019-04-16, 10:39 AM
It probably needs to involve snark, nostalgia, and shadows. :smallwink:

NaughtyTiger
2019-04-16, 10:52 AM
gains the ability:
screw parsing ancient text, i just want reasonable power
can use spells based on casual reading of the description, without resorting to 2 other books, sage advice, twitter, and forums.

Keravath
2019-04-16, 11:02 AM
Pact of the Killjoy ..

Min/max powergamer, rules lawyer extraordinaire ... argues with the DM on every call. Plays a warlock that likes to move between bolts from eldritch blast, takes shield master and always bashes first, loves to use wall of force to block others spells but then changes his argument when he needs to cast spells through it, his bard's cutting words can stop critical hits, his sorcerer has infinite spell slots and will argue with any DM who says no, his wizard has a thousand simulacrums so far and counting. He is the center of attention at the table, his characters RULE!, he is also the DM :) so he wins every argument.

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-16, 12:23 PM
If I were to see a Pact of the Killjoy see play, I'd probably see it as some sort of powerful contract that rewards people power for killing in its name.

Level 1: When you kill a creature, you can spend your Reaction to cast a cantrip as long as that cantrip attacks a creature.

Level 6: You have Advantage against saving throws to resist being frightened or Dying. If you are ever stabilized from dying, you gain up to 1 HP.

Level 10: You curse all enemy creatures within 30 feet of you with a sense of impending doom as a Bonus Action, causing your attacks against them to deal an additional 1d6 necrotic damage for the next minute. You have advantage on any ability checks to track and see these creatures. If any of the creatures are alive after the minute expires, you lose Hit Dice and HP equal to the number of those creatures that are still alive. You can do this once per Short Rest.

Level 14: If you were to hit 0 HP, you can spend your Reaction before becoming unconscious to cast a Warlock spell you know without expending a spell slot. Any attack rolls it makes are made with Advantage, and any Saving Throws it requires are made with Disadvantage. If this kills a creature, you instead take no damage and have HP and THP equal to your Warlock level. You can only use this feature once per Long Rest.

Expanded Spell List:

Inflict Wounds, Guiding Bolt
Alter Self, Hold Person
Speak with Dead, Revivify
Greater Invisibility, Phantasmal Killer
Contagion, Dominate Person

NaughtyTiger
2019-04-16, 12:27 PM
If I were to see a Pact of the Killjoy see play, I'd probably see it as some sort of powerful contract that rewards people power for killing in its name.

When you kill a creature, you can spend your Bonus Action to cast a cantrip as long as that cantrip attacks a creature.

If you were to hit 0 HP, you can spend your Reaction before becoming unconscious to cast a Warlock spell you know without expending a spell slot. Any attack rolls it makes are made with Advantage, and any Saving Throws it requires are made with Disadvantage. If this kills a creature, you instead take no damage and have HP and THP equal to your Warlock level. You can only use this feature once per Short Rest.

You curse all enemy creatures within 30 feet of you with a sense of impending doom, causing your attacks against them to deal an additional 1d6 necrotic damage for the next minute. You have advantage on any ability checks to track and see these creatures. If any of the creatures are alive after the minute expires, you lose Hit Dice and HP equal to the number of creatures that are still alive.

okay, so someone goes for the earnest, answer the question approach...

i like it.
the 2nd ability is [too] strong, but the whole thing is pretty good for a 30 second concept...

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-16, 12:30 PM
okay, so someone goes for the earnest, answer the question approach...

i like it.
the 2nd ability is [too] strong, but the whole thing is pretty good for a 30 second concept...

I meant that 2nd ability to be the capstone, akin to what the Celestial Warlock has. But thanks for the look!

Bloodcloud
2019-04-16, 12:38 PM
Fun isn’t something one considers when balancing the universe. But this… does put a smile on my face.

1st level. The killjoy pact allows you to parse every ability to make it apply in its most underwhelming and useless form. Anytime a creature attempts to use his ability in a way that would be effective and fun, you ruin it. Examples:
-Blade pact warlock are not proficient with their one pact boon. It was a trap.
-Druids cannot wildshape into anything they haven't encountered during the game, and they are not presumed to have ever seen a single animal before the beginning of the campaign
-Summoning animals always summon the least effective critter for the task at hand
-Every suggestion/mind-control like effect is immediately interpreted to be useless and made ineffectual because you didn't choose the absolutely perfect wording.
-Wish is always fulfilled in an ironic and ultimately harmfull result
-Polymorphing your frined into a T-rex makes him immediately decide to eat you
-Guessing that a troll is probably vulnerable to fire gets you instabanished to the evil metagaming dimension because no one living in a world with trolls has ever heard they have a vulnerability and shared that information
And so on...

You are, however, powerless against enlarge/reduce.

6th level: Snap You immediately disintegrate half the creatures on the field, no save.

Out of idea for the rest.

The Kool
2019-04-16, 12:44 PM
I am absolutely enjoying all of these, both serious and jesting alike. I would actually considering playing one if it were statted out, and MOG is onto something that begins to resonate...

Fun isn’t something one considers when balancing the universe. But this… does put a smile on my face.

6th level: Snap You immediately disintegrate half the creatures on the field, no save.

Out of idea for the rest.

Well no kidding... where do you go after that?

Bloodcloud
2019-04-16, 12:58 PM
I am absolutely enjoying all of these, both serious and jesting alike. I would actually considering playing one if it were statted out, and MOG is onto something that begins to resonate...

A verdant happy place?

Yunru
2019-04-16, 01:06 PM

Summon retirement cabin?

sithlordnergal
2019-04-16, 01:17 PM
So, I usually don't make classes, I don't consider myself super skilled with it. I did my best to make the single most annoying class I could think of by making a class that interrupts as many dice rolls as possible and gives them the ability to summon as many buffed up things as possible. That way they can slow the game down to a crawl with their Conjured Animals, turn anyone into a T-Rex with Pixies, and keep those things around for 4 hours. That way they, the party, and the DM have to keep track of the mini-army you're keeping with you.

EDIT: Made it so you only get a max of 2 portents, don't wanna take the place of the Divination Wizard after all

---Pact of the Killjoy---

Level 1: You gain three six sided dice that refresh on a short rest. You may use a reaction to spend one of these dice to interrupt any attack, ability, or damage roll happening within 60 feet of you. Roll one d6 and either add or subtract it from the original roll. The dice increase to d8 at level 6, and d10 at level 10. You also gain 4 dice at level 6, and 5 dice at level 14.

Level 6: You gain one Portent that recharges at the end of a Long Rest. At the start of every adventure, or at the end of a long rest, roll 1d20 and record the roll. At any point you may replace any d20 roll with your recorded roll. You gain two Portents at level 14.

Level 10: You gain the Lucky Feat and the Halfling Lucky racial ability. If you already have the Lucky feat you gain an extra Luck point, and if you already the have Halfling Lucky ability you gain the Bountiful Luck feat. If you have all three, the DM is required to slap you.

Level 14: When you cast Conjure Animals, Conjure Woodland Beings, Conjure Elemental, or Conjure Minor Elemental, their attacks become magical, they gain an attack bonus equal to your proficiency bonus, and their max HP is increased by your Warlock level.

---Spells---

3rd level: Conjure Animals, Animate Dead

4th: Conjure Minor Elementals, Conjure Woodland Beings

5th: Conjure Elemental, Animate Objects

---Invocations---

-Oh god the Dice Rolls-

Requirements: Warlock 5, Pact of the Killjoy, and either Conjure Animals, Conjure Woodland Beings, or Conjure Minor Elementals

Effects: When you cast Conjure Animals, Conjure Woodland Beings, or Conjure Minor Elementals, you get to choose what is summoned. However, you can only summon cr 1/4 creatures when you use this invocation. If you cast Conjure Animals, the cr 1/4th beasts must have multiattack and either pack tactics or an ability to knock a creature prone.

---Why the Beasts---

Requirements: Warlock 7, Pact of the Killjoy, Conjure Woodland Beings

Effects: When you cast Conjure Woodland Beings to summon Pixies, all the attacks of any creature polymorphed by them are considered magical for the purpose of getting through weapon resistances.

--Oh look, 20d20--

Requirements: Warlock 9, Pact of the Killjoy, Animate Objects

Effects: Any object animated by Animate Object have pack tactics, increase their Max HP by your warlock level, and their attacks are considered magical.

---The summons won't leave---

Requirements: Pact of the Killjoy, Warlock 10

Effects: Conjure Animals, Conjure Woodland Beings, Conjure Elemental, Conjure Minor Elemental, and Animate Objects have their duration increased to 4 hours.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-04-16, 01:27 PM
I dunno. There are nine more days until we can find out.

sithlordnergal
2019-04-16, 01:35 PM
I dunno. There are nine more days until we can find out.

Its very simple, you go from insta killing stuff to irritating the hell out of everyone at the table with the subclass I made. >=3

The Kool
2019-04-16, 01:44 PM
Its very simple, you go from insta killing stuff to irritating the hell out of everyone at the table with the subclass I made. >=3

You're not kidding. That's the kind of class that causes rock slides...

Bloodcloud
2019-04-16, 02:53 PM
So, I usually don't make classes, I don't consider myself super skilled with it. I did my best to make the single most annoying class I could think of by making a class that interrupts as many dice rolls as possible and gives them the ability to summon as many buffed up things as possible. That way they can slow the game down to a crawl with their Conjured Animals, turn anyone into a T-Rex with Pixies, and keep those things around for 4 hours. That way they, the party, and the DM have to keep track of the mini-army you're keeping with you.

Why, why?!!? The pain!!!!

sithlordnergal
2019-04-16, 03:01 PM
Why, why?!!? The pain!!!!

Because it will be the ultimate killjoy >=D It is a pact for the player who wants to ruin any game