View Full Version : 3rd Ed [3.5] 5th Level spells for Paladins

liquidformat
2019-04-16, 11:16 AM
Hi I was looking to expand paladin casting from level 1 to 20 giving them access to 5th level spells similar to mystic ranger. I was wondering what might be some good spells to give them as I don't want to give them free range to use any 5th level cleric spell for example.

Kish
2019-04-16, 12:04 PM
My recommendations would be:

Atonement
Dictum
Disrupting Weapon
Hallow
Holy Word
Life's Grace (Spell Compendium)
Mass Restoration (Spell Compendium)
Revivify (Spell Compendium)
Righteous Might

gorfnab
2019-04-16, 06:48 PM
In addition to Kish's list:
Break Enchantment
Commune
Cure Critical Wounds
Cure Light Wounds, Mass
Dismissal
Flame Strike
Geas/Quest
Raise Dead
True Seeing

Zaq
2019-04-16, 08:34 PM
In addition to Kish's list:
Break Enchantment
Commune
Cure Critical Wounds
Cure Light Wounds, Mass
Dismissal
Flame Strike
Geas/Quest
Raise Dead
True Seeing

Honestly I'd rather give them heal than cure critical wounds. This is the pinnacle of a paladin's career, after all. Capstone stuff. Hell, isn't cure critical wounds already just a level 4 spell? Bizarre that they don't get it in the first place.

To just pluck a couple choice level 5 cleric spells from SpC, I think we can justify revivify and righteous wrath of the faithful without too much effort.

Zancloufer
2019-04-16, 08:40 PM
Made a Paladin tweak while ago and in updating them to 5th level spells I included (just off the SRD):

Atonement
Bear’s Endurance, Mass
Bull’s Strength, Mass
Dispel Magic, Greater
Eagle’s Splendor, Mass
Forbiddance
Glyph of Warding, Greater
Hallow
Plane Shift
Heal
Owl’s Wisdom, Mass
Planar Ally
Raise Dead
Spell Resistance
Undeath to Death
Word of Recall

I also added a single domain of choice to them so they would have one extra based off that but unless you grant them domain access I don't know how to represent that.

Biggus
2019-04-16, 11:32 PM
My recommendations would be:

Atonement
Dictum
Disrupting Weapon
Hallow
Holy Word
Life's Grace (Spell Compendium)
Mass Restoration (Spell Compendium)
Revivify (Spell Compendium)
Righteous Might

It seems we're thinking along the same lines here, back in 3.0 I tried giving Paladins spells right up to 9th level as an epic variant, at 5th level they had:

Atonement
Commune
Cure Critical Wounds
Disrupting Weapon
Hallow
Righteous Might

I'd agree with the addition of Life's Grace and maybe Revivify. Not much point giving them Dictum and Holy word unless you're using the Pathfinder variant for caster level though (caster level=class level -3 rather than half class level).

Other possibilities from the Spell Compendium: Blistering Radiance, Righteous Wrath of the Faithful and Zone of Revelation.

Kaleph
2019-04-17, 05:46 AM
I wrote down some ideas here (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rtObUs-CwfD3UdzIuLRmreleNHFS2JCF/view?usp=sharing). I have some 5th level spells, but possibly also added some spell to the levels 1-4 (not sure anymore).

EDIT: wrong link corrected

liquidformat
2019-04-17, 08:59 AM
Thanks a lot for all the good comments!