PDA

View Full Version : How Much Detail Do You Like in a Beastiary/Monster Manual/Threat Guide etc.?

CharonsHelper
2019-04-16, 10:06 PM
I'm currently writing a TTRPG (in signature) and the game is basically done. However before I go on Kickstarter and you all give me your money, I want to have a substantial book of foes - Threat Guide of the Starlanes in my case - as I have a whole theory about how a proper book of foes adds a lot of depth and length of play, and the foes act as inspiration for GMs etc.

My question is - how much detail do you personally like in entries for monsters (or whatever - since Space Dogs is a space western foes are largely various aliens with class levels). I know that some games go super detailed down to what their favorite flavor of ice cream is, while others have very little besides the stats. Where is your happy medium? How much detail are you personally looking for as a GM?

I appreciate any feedback. I currently have about 27k words for The Threat Guide (about 50-60ish pages in 8.5x11 TTRPG format with pics), but I want to AT LEAST double that, and I'm partially trying to decide how many more stat blocks to add relative to going back and adding more details/descriptors/fluff etc.

Though of note: I am also planning to include a bunch of starships & their layouts into The Threat Guide as well - which double as maps to fight on during boarding actions. (The mechanics are designed to make boarding the alpha tactic for PCs.)

Grek
2019-04-17, 08:47 AM
Things I want to know from a monster manual entry:
-What's it look like?
-Where is this thing found?
-Why does it live there?
-How does it live there?
-What does it want? (Ideally, it should want more than one thing.)
-What will it do when it gets what it wants?
-What does it do when the PCs get there?
-What does it do if the PCs bypass it?

Jay R
2019-04-17, 10:52 AM
I want a stat block that is easy to find and to look up details in, and a separate description of types, inclinations, tactics, political leanings, etc.

JNAProductions
2019-04-17, 11:06 AM
I want a stat block that is easy to find and to look up details in, and a separate description of types, inclinations, tactics, political leanings, etc.

I'll second this.

It's fantastic to have lots of details! But the basics of how to use them need to be plain and easy to get to.

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-17, 11:13 AM
Multiple lists and summaries at the end of the book. Give me a list of Mountain-inhabiting creatures, sorted by expected player level. Then give me another list of horror monsters, or monsters you'd find in the desert. That way, I can do a quick scan to supplement my encounter and quickly research what would work best for any particular scenario.

As for the stat blocks themselves, I'd like this kind of information:

Combat actions/tactics
Non-combat actions (what does it do when it's not killing the players).
How is it made
What are its societies like

That way, I'm not researching Nagas on some 3rd party site to figure out what kind of societies they'd have, or what they'd do if they weren't inherently hostile to the players.

LordEntrails
2019-04-17, 11:24 AM
Most of the things listed by others, plus a concise and standardized format. If the first paragraph is appearance, then it should always be appearance. If the third paragraph is combat tactics and strategies, then it should always be the third paragraph or under a sub-heading so I can find it. And the sub-headings should always be in the same order. (Note, I prefer sub-headings!)

Pleh
2019-04-17, 01:01 PM
The best Monster Manual I've seen is 5e. Great balance of fluff to crunch. Fits well on the page, usually.

CharonsHelper
2019-04-17, 08:05 PM
Thanks a bunch for the opinions.

I'll go ahead and put in the most finished chunk of Threats of the Starlanes and see what you think. To warn - the book is halfway between a D&D style monster manual & an NPC guide.

Edit: Apologies for the giant image and mediocre formatting. It's really better than that in the Threat Guide itself - just issues copying it to a message board.

Alanny

http://i63.tinypic.com/29dhbw1.jpg

The alanny are small, usually standing little more than half a meter, though they stand hunched over. They are feathered, their feathers normally a shade of grey or black, but they commonly color some of their feathers brightly and in elaborate patterns. Unlike most feathered creatures from Earth, the alanny have neither beaks for do they have true wings, instead their front limbs, or ‘arms’ for shorthand, are attached to their waist with a thin sheet of flesh, something like that of a flying squirrel. In the same way, the alanny cannot truly fly, though they can jump and glide impressive distances, and they can ride the prevalent thermals and updrafts of their homeworld.

Research DCs Information Found [note: is a table - c/p messed up formatting]
6 These are alanny (name on sight).
12 Alanny cannot fly, but they can glide long distances.
18 Alanny are the species most widespread across the starlanes.
25 The majority of the most powerful information brokers across the starlanes are alanny.
38 Alanny do not have territory or nations, instead they are organized into clans.
50 Proportionally few alanny are involved in any anti-builder or anti-human movements.

Alanny Base Ability Scores
Brawn: -3 (minimum of 1) (Racial tertiary)
Dexterity: -1 (Racial secondary)
Agility: +0 (Racial primary)
Stamina: -2 (Racial secondary)
Sharpness: +0 (Racial primary)
Willpower: -1 (Racial tertiary)
Damage Reduction: 0/0
Base Movement Speed: 2sqs (4 meters) / Run: 3sqs (6 meters) – Nimble /20 sqs Glide)
Morale: Willpower -3
Height: 0.5m-0.7m
Weight: 12kg-20kg
Swarm: Due to their small size, alanny gain an additional +1 Passive Defense bonus and up to four may fit in a single square.

Nimble: Alanny gain +10 to Athletics checks made to climb and may climb any surface with a DC of 20 or below without making a check. In addition, they gain +1 square of movement to their final distance when climbing.

Note: When not making a check, Alanny may climb at ½ speed. This means that normally they may move 3 squares when traveling on a surface with a climb check of DC 20 or below.

Glide: Alanny may not be able to fly, but they can glide from place to place with ease. They may move at their Glide speed when jumping or when ending in a lower location than they began. For the first 5 squares and every 5 squares thereafter they must go down a height of at least ½ a meter. In addition, unless they’re unconscious, Alanny never take falling damage.

Group over the Individual: The alanny do not increase the DC of their Morale Test due to ‘Death’.

Alanny Flock Junior Member (Normal 3)
Threat Rating: 1
Brawn: 1
Dexterity: 2
Agility: 3
Stamina: 1
Sharpness: 3
Willpower: 2
Base Movement Speed: 2sqs (4 meters) / Run: 3sqs (6 meters) – Nimble /20 sqs Glide)
Skills (Scout):
Research – Apprentice (3d8 + 0)
Awareness – Apprentice (3d8 + 5)
Investigation – Apprentice (3d8 + 6)
Stealth – Apprentice (3d8 + 6)
Athletics – Apprentice (3d8 + 4)
Standard Weaponry:
Pistol (two hands) – Attack 2d8+2 (-2 per 5) / 2d6 dmg
Pistol (one hand) – Attack 2d8+0 (-2 per 5) / 2d6 dmg
Knife (one hand) – Attack 2d6+5 / 1d4+1 dmg

Vitality: 0 / Life: 1 / Psyche: 1
PPD: 10 (+1 Racial due to small size)
PDD: 7
PMD: 8
Awareness Spot/Notice DCs: 20/29
Morale: -1 - Group over the Individual
This alanny is a junior member of a flock, though of course various members of the flock will have different skill-sets.

Alanny Flock Senior Member (Normal 6)
Skills (Smuggler):
Presence: Trickery – Journeyman (4d8 + 5)
Presence: Negotiation – Novice (2d8 + 5)
Investigation – Journeyman (4d8 + 6)
Stealth – Journeyman (4d8 + 6)
Piloting – Apprentice (3d8 + 4)
Awareness – Novice (2d8 + 5)
Standard Weaponry:
Knife (one hand) – Attack 2d6+5 / 1d4+1 dmg

Awareness Spot/Notice DCs: 13/21
A more experienced member of the flock, this alanny is an important part of their flock, but no less expendable if for the benefit of the flock as a whole. Like other alanny listed here, their background and skillset may vary, but most alanny have at least a modicum of skill in researching information.

Alanny Doctor (Normal 9)
Skills (Scholar):
Research – Journeyman (4d8 + 0)
Investigation – Journeyman (4d8 + 6)
First-Aid – Maestro (6d8 + 5)
Hacking – Apprentice (3d8 + 5)
Presence: Negotiation – Apprentice (3d8 + 5)
Standard Weaponry:
Knife (one hand) – Attack 2d6+5 (-2 per 5) / 1d4+1 dmg

Awareness Spot/Notice DCs: 9/13
A master of nearly all biologies across the starlanes, this doctor will work on nearly anyone, though he’s not a charity. A doctor such as this may be found on nearly any sizable space station throughout the starlanes, providing care from an infirmary or hospital for anyone who needs it, so long as they can pay the bill.

Alanny Flock Ruffian (Normal 3 / Thug 1)
Threat Rating: 2
Dexterity: 3
Agility: 5
Stamina: 2
Sharpness: 4
Skills (Scout):
Awareness – Apprentice (3d8 + 6)
Investigation – Apprentice (3d8 + 8)
Stealth – Apprentice (3d8 + 9)
Athletics– Apprentice (3d8 + 6)
Standard Weaponry:
Pistol (two hands) – Attack 2d8+3 (-2 per 5) / 2d6 dmg
Pistol (one hand) – Attack 2d8+1(-2 per 5) / 2d6 dmg
Knife (one hand) – Attack 2d6+8 (-2 per 5) / 1d4+1 dmg

Vitality: 2 / Life: 3 / Psyche: 6
PPD: 12 (+1 Racial due to small size)
Awareness Spot/Notice DCs: 21/30
Most flocks of alanny will have at least a few members who know how to fight in order to deal with any potential trouble that they may run into. While not warriors as other species would think of them, in groups these alanny should not be underestimated when forced into combat. Some flocks will have all of their members learn to fight, and a full flock of a dozen or more can be a force to be reckoned with.

Alanny Spymaster (Normal 7 / Thug 2 – Leader Template)
Threat Rating: 4
Agility: 4
Sharpness: 5
Willpower: 4
Skills (Diplomat):
Research – Novice (2d8 + 0)
Investigation – Master (5d8 + 10)
Presence: Intimidation – Apprentice (3d8 + 9)
Presence: Negotiation – Journeyman (4d8 + 9)
Presence: Trickery – Journeyman (4d8 + 9)
Awareness – Novice (2d8 + 9)
Stealth – Novice (2d8 + 9)
Acrobatics – Novice (2d8 + 8)
Standard Weaponry:
Pistol (two hands) – Attack 2d8+3 (-2 per 5) / 2d6 dmg
Pistol (one hand) – Attack 2d8+1 (-2 per 5) / 2d6 dmg
Knife (one hand) – Attack 2d6+7 / 1d4+1 dmg

Vitality: 3 / Life: 3 / Psyche: 8
PD: 11 (+1 Racial due to small size)
DD: 7
MD: 9
Awareness Spot/Notice DCs: 17/25
Morale: +2 - Group over the Individual

A skilled information broker, this alanny is undoubtedly in a flock where several other members know how to defend themselves. He may even have the services of mercenaries such as krakiz or purchased chimera, but a direct conflict is unlikely to be his first course of action when more subtle methods might still work. Unless the payout is huge, a spymaster is unlikely to put himself up against any Space Dogs if he can help it. Space Dogs might find them to be allies if the Space Dogs have either money or valuable information in trade, though they also shouldn’t be surprised if the spymaster is more than willing to sell information about them to their enemies if the price is right.

Alanny Honcho (Commander 1/Elite 6) (human scale)
Threat Rating: 10
Brawn: 2
Dexterity: 4
Stamina: 3
Sharpness: 6
Willpower: 4
Skills (Diplomat):
Research – Novice (2d8 + 0)
Investigation – Master (5d8 + 6)
Presence: Intimidation – Apprentice (3d8 + 8)
Presence: Negotiation – Journeyman (4d8 + 8)
Presence: Trickery – Journeyman (4d8 + 8)
Awareness – Novice (2d8 + 8)
Stealth – Novice (2d8 + 9)
Acrobatics – Novice (2d8 + 8)
Rifle (two hands) – Attack 2d8+4 (-1 per 5) / 2d8+2 dmg
Pistol (one hand) – Attack 2d8+4 (-2 per 5) / 2d6+2 dmg
Shortsword (one hand) – Attack 3d6+9 / 1d6+4 dmg
Rocket Launcher (two hands) – Attack 2d6+2 (-3 per 5) / 1d20+2 dmg (T)

Vitality: 23 / Life: 5 / Psyche: 11
Grit: 10
Damage Reduction: 4/2 (Concealable Kevlar)
Passive Defense: 12 (+1 Racial due to small size)
Durability: 8
Mental Defense: 10
Awareness Spot/Notice DCs: 16/24
Morale: +5 - Group over the Individual

Talents: Once More into the Breach… (max of 3 targets) / Hold the Line
While most alanny aren’t much for combat relative to other species, this alanny is likely the leader of his flock and is more than willing to start a fight if need be, though that likely isn’t their first choice. While the honcho is more dangerous than most other alanny, they still do not deceive themselves into thinking that they are a match for other species in direct combat.

Cerberus Whelp (Jockeys each Normal 3 / Thug 1) (Exo scale)
Threat Rating: 12
Brawn: 3 (with all 3 jockeys’ scores combined)
Sharpness: 4
Base Movement Speed: 3sqs (6 meters) / Run: 4sqs (8 meters)
(Special – Three Heads are Better)
Skills (Scout):
Awareness – Apprentice (3d8 + 6)
Investigation – Apprentice (3d8 + 8)
Stealth – Apprentice (3d8 + 9)
Athletics– Apprentice (3d8 + 6)
Standard Weaponry: (Special – Three Heads are Better)
Pilot 1:
Assault Rifle (two hands) – Attack 2d10+3 (-2 per 5) / 2d8 dmg (Auto-Fire)
Bayonet (two hands) – Attack 2d6+6 / 1d6+4 dmg
Pilot 2:
Pistol (one hand) – Attack 2d8+3 (-2 per 5) / 2d6 (+4 with Aim)
Fencing Blade (one hand) – Attack 2d10+8 / 1d6+3 dmg
Large Bore Rifle (two hands) – Attack 2d8+1 / 2d6 dmg (Mecha Scale / Single Shot)

Vitality: 2 / Life: 10 / Psyche: 6
Damage Reduction: 4/3 (Exo)
Passive Defense: 10
Durability: 11
Mental Defense: 8
Awareness Spot/Notice DCs: 21/30
Morale: +2 - Group over the Individual
Controlled by three rookie jockeys, hence the nickname ‘whelp’, this Cerberus is still nothing to take lightly. With multiple jockeys, it can often move and fight in ways which its foes don’t expect, catching them off-guard.

Alanny Encounters
A Flock of Spies
4 Flock Junior Members
4 Flock Senior Members
4 Flock Ruffians
1 Spymaster
Group’s Awareness Spot/Notice DCs: 31/40
Combat Threat Rating: 20

When a group of Space Dogs want information, an alanny spymaster is likely to have the information that they need, or at least know where to point them to find it out. Of course, their knowing the information and sharing it with the players are two very different things, at least not without a substantial price.
The spymaster will use his high negotiation skill to increase the price of their information as high as they can, though of course the players can always refuse.

Tactics: While the flock will avoid combat when possible, if unavoidable they won’t back down before drawing blood, scattering to time to use Aiming with their pistols at close range
If they think that their chance of victory is slim the Spymaster may start to run before the flock’s morale breaks.
Note: The actual combat threat of this encounter varies greatly depending upon the armor which the PCs are wearing.

A Murder of Crows
12 Flock Ruffians
1 Alanny Honcho
Combat Threat Rating: 34

An alanny murder is a flock which actually expects to be able to hold their own in combat, though they do so with numbers rather than through individual skills. Due to the alanny’s low sense of self, the alanny within a murder think of themselves as individually expendable but the murder as a whole as valuable, so only threats which threaten the whole group are likely to succeed.
As part of their job as security, murders are used by alanny clans to investigate crimes, hunting down criminals within the blurry lines of a clan’s jurisdiction. Criminals who underestimate a murder are commonly overwhelmed, taken down by a hail of bullets.
The prowess of the murder revolves around the Honcho improving rolls and keeping the unit from breaking under the pressure of combat.
However, despite being a combat unit, even a murder of crows isn’t inherently aggressive and can sometimes be convinced to avoid conflict if the reasoning is solid and doing so won’t threaten the murder’s clan.

Tactics: If combat erupts, the ruffians will Aim with their pistols at close range when possible, while the honcho will use Once More into the Breach to increase the accuracy of his allies while using his rifle at longer range to stay out of the fray himself. The honcho will use Hold the Line any time he would need to roll higher than a 5 on the Morale Test.
Note: The actual combat threat of this encounter varies greatly depending upon the armor which the PCs are wearing.

A Flock with Muscle
3 Flock Junior Members
3 Flock Senior Members
3 Flock Ruffians
1 Spymaster
4 Chimera – Razorbacks
Combat Threat Rating: 36

Rather than relying upon themselves for combat, this flock has purchased several chimera to act as their muscle.
A flock such as this might be involved in rather shady dealings. While no clan has laws against it, amongst alanny it is generally considered low class to purchase chimera.
The players might run into such a flock if they cross paths with an alanny criminal element. Not necessarily an enemy, the alanny criminal element might have access to information that even other information brokers don’t have, though the price they ask for may be suspect.

Tactics: In combat with A Flock with Muscle, the alanny will scatter, avoiding combat and only taking pot shots from cover. The chimera will use their strength at close range to try to deal with any sort of threat.

Techno Flock
3 Flock Junior Members
3 Flock Senior Members
4 Flock Ruffians
1 Alanny Honcho
2 Cerberus Whelps
Combat Threat Rating: 48

Using the latest and greatest of alanny technology, this flock has a pair of Cerberus to do their fighting, supported by the rest of the flock. Generally the rest of the flock will hang back taking pot shots while the two mecha do the bulk of the heavy lifting, though the rest are not above swarming a target if the situation calls for it.

Tactics: In a fight, the Cerberus Whelps will try to use their close range mobility to use cover to their advantage, though they’re not above closing to melee against human scale foes, especially if they can both attack the same target, giving them a -3 penalty to melee rolls due to being in melee against four foes.

Cluedrew
2019-04-19, 07:44 PM
I would definitely want more information on the cultural background of this race and how they fit into larger setting. Simple example, if I needed information and decided that an Alanny spymaster was the way to get that information. How would I track one down?

CharonsHelper
2019-04-19, 09:04 PM
I would definitely want more information on the cultural background of this race and how they fit into larger setting. Simple example, if I needed information and decided that an Alanny spymaster was the way to get that information. How would I track one down?

I do have more information about the alanny in the core book, but I'll agree that more of it should be in there too since I plan to make it a separate book. GMs shouldn't be forced to flip chapters & books to get the info they need. The trick will be to avoid being too repetitive.

Thanks much.

NRSASD
2019-04-20, 07:28 AM
Love the art!

But I agree, I'd want way more information.

How does "civilization" (PCs' culture) interact with them. Why?
Why would this species fight, in general?
How is their society organized?
Any weird details that could be potential plot hooks? i.e. their medical tech is very advanced, they reproduce like xenomorphs, they worship a weird god, etc.

The Jack
2019-04-20, 09:19 AM
For humanoids I want both base templates and specific kinds of character types that pop up (Gnoll Hunter, gith gish, orc claw, your typical hobgoblin grunt)

That way we can work out what happens when X becomes a ghoul, vampire or half ogre-dragon, when I transform into an ice giant or we train a xvart or my cambion child into an elite warrior, or so that I can run an ogre archmage.

Cluedrew
2019-04-20, 03:43 PM
I posted a small rant about another topic in which I did some number crunching you might want to look at (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/images/sand/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23858175&postcount=49)). I actually used Space Dogs as an example and although I missed something the results are a bit worrying to me.

CharonsHelper
2019-04-20, 04:08 PM
I posted a small rant about another topic in which I did some number crunching you might want to look at (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/images/sand/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23858175&postcount=49)). I actually used Space Dogs as an example and although I missed something the results are a bit worrying to me.

Gotcha - I did a quick response. I think that the confusion was that you thought that the Research check was an Investigation check.

And no - psychics can't do anything as a replacement for research. I actually built the mechanics & fluff to have the The Psychic class be somewhat un-worldly, as they have to burn a chunk of their skill points just to be able to do their psychic schtick.

I appreciate you looking into my system though. I'll try to make it clearer that that's a Research check.

Kaptin Keen
2019-04-21, 03:12 AM
I want the opposite. Everyone seems to want stats - all I want to know is how a thing fits into the ecology of the universe you're building. I want meaning and context, background and fluff. Stats I can easily invent on my own.

Composer99
2019-04-21, 07:41 AM
In my view:

Any monsters/NPCs that aren't ordinary Earth animals need to have sufficient default setting information - ecology, society, that sort of thing - so that when I'm GMing I can fit them in, whether I'm running default setting or not, with as little or as much modification as needed. Even animals probably need a paragraph of detail.

All monsters/NPCs/beasts/aliens need to have a stat block so we know how they and their capabailities interact with the game mechanics, and, for those who are intended to be combat antagonists for PCs, some details of how they fight - typical tactics, that sort of thing.

CharonsHelper
2019-04-23, 07:30 AM
Well - I just finished adding more details to the first entry - the Junior Flock Member. Please tell me if you think it's an improvement, and if I still have some work to do.

Looking at this alanny makes you feel the need to squint due to the clashing mix of purples and pinks she’s wearing and how they clash with the pastel rainbow of feather hues dyed in complex patterns. She ***** her head at you curiously, looking you up and down and looking as if she wants to ask you something.
Junior flock members can often be spotted by the bright colors which they dye their feathers, and how the dye many more feathers than their elders. This alanny is a junior member of a flock, though of course various members of the flock will have different skill-sets.

Encounter: Junior Flock Members can be found throughout the starlanes, and they will virtually always be found in the company of others of their flock, including more experienced members who will often take the lead. In some ways you can think of them as apprentice members of the flock, as junior members will either follow in the footsteps of one of the senior members of their flock, or they’ll find a new flock to join in which there is a senior member who has the profession which they want to follow.

Tactics: Junior Flock Members don’t like to fight; often not carrying weapons at all. If they are armed, they will fight when their flock is threatened, though that doesn’t really make them combatants. If they do fight, juniors will form in groups of 3-4 in the same square and fire away with their pistols at the nearest enemy. They are intelligent, and they will use cover and basic tactics as the situation dictates.

Edit: lol - it censored her cocking her head

OverLordOcelot
2019-04-23, 11:15 AM
An easy to find description and basic personality and behavior. When PC's are encountering this thing that I set up weeks ago or that was set up by someone else, I don't want to have to dig past a bunch of ecology and society fluff to make sure I'm telling them what they see and having it react. I'm not really a fan of huge blocks of 'ecology' information in the monster's entry, I'd prefer an overview text for a batch of new monsters that tells me how they work. If I'm building an environment using your new monsters then I'd rather see information about multiple creatures fitting together to get ideas than to look through each stat block to see where each one lives.

JNAProductions
2019-04-25, 08:56 PM
Word of advice: If you want to use phrases like "She cocked her head," you can bypass the filter by using some kind of code on a letter to interrupt it.

Now, a follow-up piece of advice: Be 100% certain that your bypassing of the filter is acceptable. Because you're INTENTIONALLY BYPASSING IT. There's no mercy for cussing unfiltered when you put in effort to make it past the filter.

Endarire
2019-04-28, 07:02 PM
Greetings!

I'd like to have game rules and culture/aesthetics sections clearly distinct (if they can be) so I know where to focus. Maybe I just care about dropping some trolls on the party. Maybe I want to make a culture about trolls.