PDA

View Full Version : Anyway to cast gathering of maggots on yourself?

AthasianWarlock
2019-04-16, 10:25 PM
We recently reached epic levels and I was trying to turn myself into a worm that walks. The issue at hand is the DM bans custom epic spells and gathering of maggots targets a dead body. My intial thought was craft contingency, but epic spells can't be cast by items. I thought about eidolon but the spells takes 7 days to cast so that's out. At this point the only thing I can think of is true mind switching into a different body, killing the old body to cast the spell then switch back. Any advice?

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-04-16, 10:38 PM
We recently reached epic levels and I was trying to turn myself into a worm that walks. The issue at hand is the DM bans custom epic spells and gathering of maggots targets a dead body. My intial thought was craft contingency, but epic spells can't be cast by items. I thought about eidolon but the spells takes 7 days to cast so that's out. At this point the only thing I can think of is true mind switching into a different body, killing the old body to cast the spell then switch back. Any advice?A spellblade that directs it back at you? Get yourself a fiend of possession minion and have it possess the body before you cast it, using the spellblade and whack it back at you like the multiverse's maggotiest tennis ball. Or you could be the fiend of possession, if you like.

You could be a psionic sandwich, only replace 'sandwich' with 'dead body.' You could also use metamorphosis or a psionic skin of proteus to transmute yourself into a mimic, and from there into a(n animated) corpse.

AthasianWarlock
2019-04-16, 10:50 PM
This spell is permanent. Does that mean you die if dispelled?

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-04-16, 10:52 PM
This spell is permanent. Does that mean you die if dispelled?Have you checked the errata? It should be Instantaneous.

Otherwise, yes, you would.

Silva Stormrage
2019-04-16, 10:53 PM
This spell is permanent. Does that mean you die if dispelled?

RAW yes. The writer of the ability probably didn't know the difference between "Instantaneous" and "Permanent" I would ask your DM for a sensible houserule to change that.

Saintheart
2019-04-16, 10:59 PM
We recently reached epic levels and I was trying to turn myself into a worm that walks. The issue at hand is the DM bans custom epic spells and gathering of maggots targets a dead body. My intial thought was craft contingency, but epic spells can't be cast by items. I thought about eidolon but the spells takes 7 days to cast so that's out. At this point the only thing I can think of is true mind switching into a different body, killing the old body to cast the spell then switch back. Any advice?

Maybe argue physics?

https://i.stack.imgur.com/gnsYa.jpg