PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder pathfinder furious focus or weapon focus

huginn
2019-04-17, 05:15 AM
Has anyone done any theory crafting to see if one is better or how much of a difference either makes at high level?

I have a ranger switch hitter and I am deciding what feat to get at level 7. Both will help when I go into melee and I also have boots of speed which has some bearing on this decision

the_david
2019-04-17, 05:35 AM
Weapon Focus will give you a +5% bonus to hit on every attack roll with a kind of weapon. Furious Focus will decrease the penalty Power Attack gives you by 5 to 30% but only on the first hit.

Ofcourse, it depends on the weapon you're using, your strength, your other feats, etc. In other words, you haven't provided enough information for me to calculate which would be the better choice.

Kurald Galain
2019-04-17, 05:47 AM
Furious Focus is better if you make standard action attacks and/or get lots of OAs; Weapon Focus is better if you make full attacks with boots of speed. That said, for a level 7 ranger, neither is a particularly good feat. You've got much better options than just getting +5% to something.

noob
2019-04-17, 05:53 AM
Do you do anything out of battles?
Did you try delving in construct building?
At high levels with an animated object with the right modifiers your ranger base attacks becomes utterly irrelevant(unless you are the kind of ranger which dish out 50 attacks all dealing around 60 damage).
Also does weapon focus apply to ranged and melee weapons at once?

huginn
2019-04-17, 06:06 AM
Weapon Focus will give you a +5% bonus to hit on every attack roll with a kind of weapon. Furious Focus will decrease the penalty Power Attack gives you by 5 to 30% but only on the first hit.

Ofcourse, it depends on the weapon you're using, your strength, your other feats, etc. In other words, you haven't provided enough information for me to calculate which would be the better choice.

Sorry bout that

18 strength
feats
1) power attack,quick draw
2)rapid shot
3)fleet
5)deadly aim
6)many shot
I only plan on picking up 3 more archery feats at levels 10,14 and 18

Currently I am using a +2 halberd. I know other weapons are probably better but I like the flavor and this isn't a camping with a high level of optimization

Furious Focus is better if you make standard action attacks and/or get lots of OAs; Weapon Focus is better if you make full attacks with boots of speed. That said, for a level 7 ranger, neither is a particularly good feat. You've got much better options than just getting +5% to something.

I am not that experienced with pathfinder so I am a little unclear what option is best.
I know this DM likes to use things that are immune to crits so getting a Falchion and critical feats may not be my best option

Psyren
2019-04-17, 10:07 AM
Has anyone done any theory crafting to see if one is better or how much of a difference either makes at high level?

I have a ranger switch hitter and I am deciding what feat to get at level 7. Both will help when I go into melee and I also have boots of speed which has some bearing on this decision

Furious Focus definitely makes more of a difference at high levels (effectively ending up as a +5 to your first attack instead of +1 to all of them.) However, Weapon Focus is a prerequisite for many other feats. But the Ranger's combat style clouds the issue further. Could you post your full build? Everything matters, not just feats - including your Hunter's Bond, Combat Style, favored enemy, archetypes etc.

For example, a really powerful feat for rangers with an animal companion is Coordinated Charge, which lets them immediate-action charge any target that your companion charges, effectively letting both of you pounce.

Kurald Galain
2019-04-17, 10:20 AM
Furious Focus definitely makes more of a difference at high levels (effectively ending up as a +5 to your first attack instead of +1 to all of them.)
Mathematically, that is incorrect: getting +5 to one attack is not superior to getting +1 to five attacks. Once your primary attack starts hitting on a 6 or better (which is very likely on a full-BAB character at higher levels) then the +5 bonus becomes even less important.