PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Looking for Good Archery build for Low level Game (Pathfinder)

Nosta
2019-04-17, 03:34 PM
I am looking for Two Archer Build, who would be Good for a level game (Starting level 2 End level 7)

One Build Must be of a None magic class (no spell casting)

Second Build needs to be the Best low level magic Archer

I want to compare and choose what one i would enjoy the most

TheFamilarRaven
2019-04-17, 09:16 PM
Archers are fairly straight forward.

Pick Fighter, (grab the Titan Fighter archetype so you can use big bows for funsies. Or some other archetype, there's plenty.)
Stats look like this (assuming 20 pointbuy) Any race should work as long as they don't have a penalty to strength or dexterity, human works best. I recommend placing the stat boost into Dex.

Str 16
Dex 15
con 12
Int 10
Wis 12
Cha 9

The feats you should grab (more or less in order) are: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Deadly Aim, Multi-shot, Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, Point Blank Master, Rapid Shot

Place you ability score improvement into Dex.

For gear, grab a composite bow to match your strength score. You might want to put the adaptive special property on it in case your strength score varies and some elemental properties. Buy Str/Dex boosting gear depending on whether or not you want to hit more often or deal more damage. As for armor, Mithril breastplate should work fine.

For a spellcasting variant? Pick Paladin (Oathbound archetype with Oath of Vengeance). Again, Human works best here, and may be needed since the archery line is feat intensive. I recommend a boost to strength, but you could also just go with dexterity. +1 to hit and AC may be better than +1 to damage

Str 14
Dex 16
con 12
Int 10
Wis 8
Cha 14

Feats are basically the same: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Deadly Aim, Multi Shot, Extra Lay on Hands. Gear is also the same, except this time you might want to pick up some charisma boosting items as well. Your primary means of destroying things comes through Smite Evil. And Oath of Vengeance gives you the ability to use lay on hands to fuel your uses of that ability. Plus, paladin gets a free magic weapon at level 5.

Eldariel
2019-04-18, 05:25 AM
Eh, for #2:

Samsaran (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/uncommon-races/arg-samsaran/) Cleric. Mystic Past Life. Pick up Named Bullet and Greater Named Bullet from Ranger list; on level 5 you can Abundant Ammunition + Named Bullet to just wreck house. You can also use Litanies or whatever in your 2nd level slot. Litany of Righteousness is pretty brutal on Cleric list for instance; swift action for Save-or-take-double-damage is decidedly not bad on level 3. You can also use Abundant Ammunition without any of the combo spells on a container with special material arrows. Pathfinder has a fair few depending on how deep into the rabbit hole you want to go. First level should probably be Gravity Bow since it's pretty free and a nice buff.

You can further synergise Wis by going with a deity granting Longbow proficiency (Erastil for instance), picking up Guided Hand and go to town. This means you need the bare minimum Dex to pick up Rapid Shot and the rest is just groovy. Sadly Channel Smite is a pretty crappy feat; you'll start with PBS and Rapid Shot anyways and on low level it might almost be preferable to just go Dex and pick up enough Wis to cast your spells (14-16). You'll get damage bonuses from your spells anyways.

You could further go e.g. Evangelist for Inspire Courage. I dunno, maybe add e.g. Feather domain for an animal companion and flight and whatever to go with it, and just go to town. I can't be arsed to think through the domains real close right now but there are lots of good options.

Far as mundane archery goes, Zen Archer (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo-monk-archetypes/zen-archer/) is pretty good, though they really take off on level 3 when they get Wis to hit. But yeah, Flurry with bow and full BAB and all the archery tricks on top of it makes for a pretty darn solid set.