PDA

View Full Version : Question about Bounding Assault/Rapid Blitz

Roderick_BR
2007-10-02, 03:23 PM
I was re-reading the PHB2, trying to understand better the rules before messing more with it.
There's the feats Bounding Assault (that I "borrowred" for my custom fighter), and Rapid Blitz.
Basically, when you are moving and attacking (not charging), you can do your second attack (bab -5) with Assault, and the 3rd attack (bab -10).
It means that instead of charging, you can move and get almost all your attacks/round. Not bad really, being that it's high level (bab 14 and bab 18 respectively)

Then there's the Slashing Fury, that gives you one additional attack with a slashing weapon.
As a full attack, you get an extra attack at your highest BAB, and a -5 to all attacks.
As a standard attack, you attack with your normal attack at -5, and does a 2nd attack at -10.
Compared to Bounding Assault, it's not so good, but it's supposed to work better with a full attack.

So, here's the math, with a level 20 fighter:
Normal full attack: +20/+15/+10/+5
Bounding Assault/Rapid Blitz: +20/+15/+10
Slashing Fury as default: +15/+10
Slashing Fury as full attack: +15/+15/+10/+5/+0

Now, what happens if I attack with all these, while moving?
First attack: +15 (-5 because of Slashing Fury)
Second attack: +10 (-10 because of Slashing Fury)
Third Attack: +10 (Base 15(after Slashing Fury) -5 for Bounding Assault)
Forth Attack: +5 (Base 15(after Slashing Fury) -10 for Rapid Blitz)

So, I can always move and attack 4 times, a bit worse than a normal full attack, but better than a normal Slash Fury.
And if I wanted to be more cheesy. I could say that the -5 and -10 from Assault/Blitz are based on the original +20, instead of the modified +15.
And finally, with Weapon Supremacy, you can give a +5 to one of your attacks (as long it's not the first), so your final modifier is +15/+15/+10/+5.

Is that correct? You can't add Power Attack/Shock Trooper/Leap Attack cheese because you can't charge and spring attack at the same time, but for a non-power attacking fighter, would that work, since it doesn't say you can't combine these feats?

And since you won't be using Power Attack that much, you could use two weapons with Dual Strike (complete adventurer) to get an extra attack: +13/+13/+13/+8/+3
Maybe Snap Kick with Superior Unarmed Damage for a 6th attack: +11/+11/+11/+11/+6/+1, but that is already getting silly as you are pilling too many penalties to the to-hit (maybe add Monkey Grip? lol. And a Warmace! An additional -3 to deal 3d6 in each hit)

PS: I'm aware of the ways to get more attacks/round and the TigerClaw maneuvers. This idea is for a max of attacks/round while moving without ToB.

AtomicKitKat
2007-10-02, 08:21 PM
And since you won't be using Power Attack that much, you could use two weapons with Dual Strike (complete adventurer) to get an extra attack: +13/+13/+13/+8/+3

Not familiar enough with the PHB2 stuff, but the reason Dual Strike generally sucks is because you need a standard action. And you don't get some of the modifiers on the second weapon's damage.

Guy_Whozevl
2007-10-02, 08:46 PM
Bounding Assault tree + the Slashing Fury shouldn't stack as when you move to Spring Attack, it is a full round action, not a full attack. Thus, Slashing Fury shouldn't apply here. Also, isn't the Bounding Assault tree suboptimal in terms of overall damage output, compared to you just Leap Attacking/Shock Trooper-ing? The feats you free up can most certainly be put to better use. Also, Dual Strike requires a single attack roll; it does not give multiple attacks.

My suggestion if you want damage without using ToB is to go Barbarian and Frenzied Berserker (using Rightous Wrath from BoED) while utilizing Power Attack, Leap Attack and Shock Trooper. Weapon should have Valorous and Wrathful Healing.

Why do you want a high attack-per-round build anyway? It seems pointless to just land a flurry of misses. ToB allows you to best use such a build, but you stated you aren't using it.

dyslexicfaser
2007-10-02, 09:30 PM
Presumably, the OP wanted a way to deal good damage that didn't involve a Power Attack charge.

Roderick_BR
2007-10-03, 02:25 PM
True, I was just curious as I was reading the entries again. Thanks for the replies.

@Guy_Whozevl: Slashing fury allows you to get an extra attack as a standard attack.