PDA

View Full Version : Fire genasi fighter

Dankus Memakus
2019-04-17, 08:14 PM
So I’m playing a solo game in my free time and after much thought I have decided on a fire genasi fighter as my character. He is essentially a half azer, I wanna play a hammer swinging fire dwarf. I have however hit a dilemma. Should I go eldritch knight and get some fire spells or should I go champion/battle-master. I want him to be both thematic and decently powerful so I could use some help. One of my concerns is that I like shields and I don’t think eldritch Knight meshes well with them

Grod_The_Giant
2019-04-17, 08:25 PM
You do need War Caster if you want to make sword, shield, and spell work together nicely (A Ruby of the War Mage might help too). Either that or some form of Blade Pact Warlock.

Or... well... in Grod's Guide I've got a Fighter subclass called the Balefire Knight, which is all about mixing a little fire in with your normal Fighter stuff, and which might be exactly what you're looking for...

Dankus Memakus
2019-04-17, 08:27 PM
You do need War Caster if you want to make sword, shield, and spell work together nicely (A Ruby of the War Mage might help too). Either that or some form of Blade Pact Warlock.

Or... well... in Grod's Guide I've got a Fighter subclass called the Balefire Knight, which is all about mixing a little fire in with your normal Fighter stuff, and which might be exactly what you're looking for...

I would absolutely love to buy your guide but considering I just spent a decent chunk of my paycheck on prom I don’t think it’s an option right now lol

Edit: What kinda warlock patrons do you have in that book if you don’t mind me asking

Grod_The_Giant
2019-04-17, 09:24 PM
Only one, but it's a doozy. The Dragon replaces your Eldritch Blast with an at-will breath weapon, with Invocations to add more options and power-- it's designed to emulate the Dragonfire Adept from 3.5.

(There are also a couple Invocations available for any Warlock.)

Dankus Memakus
2019-04-17, 09:26 PM
Only one, but it's a doozy. The Dragon replaces your Eldritch Blast with an at-will breath weapon, with Invocations to add more options and power-- it's designed to emulate the Dragonfire Adept from 3.5.

(There are also a couple Invocations available for any Warlock.)

I could get into that. I personally hate eldritch blast. When my money recovers I may grab a copy. Path of the fist, steelsworn and summoner are good looking too

Grod_The_Giant
2019-04-18, 06:24 AM
I could get into that. I personally hate eldritch blast. When my money recovers I may grab a copy. Path of the fist, steelsworn and summoner are good looking too
Thanks! :smallredface:

Unoriginal
2019-04-18, 06:47 AM
So I’m playing a solo game in my free time and after much thought I have decided on a fire genasi fighter as my character. He is essentially a half azer, I wanna play a hammer swinging fire dwarf. I have however hit a dilemma. Should I go eldritch knight and get some fire spells or should I go champion/battle-master. I want him to be both thematic and decently powerful so I could use some help. One of my concerns is that I like shields and I don’t think eldritch Knight meshes well with them

You don't think the Fire Genasi got enough fire spells?

CTurbo
2019-04-18, 11:06 AM
Solo campaign? I'd go Dex based EK Fighter and grab Magic Initiate for Firebolt, another fire based cantrip, and Find Familiar. Familiars are awesome in solo campaigns because they double your perception making it much much harder to get surprised. Also help with scouting and stuff. I would even be tempted to grab 3 levels of Warlock (Fiend) and take Chain pact for an Imp for even more power and flavor. You don't even need a a big Cha investment really.

Dankus Memakus
2019-04-18, 11:45 AM
Solo campaign? I'd go Dex based EK Fighter and grab Magic Initiate for Firebolt, another fire based cantrip, and Find Familiar. Familiars are awesome in solo campaigns because they double your perception making it much much harder to get surprised. Also help with scouting and stuff. I would even be tempted to grab 3 levels of Warlock (Fiend) and take Chain pact for an Imp for even more power and flavor. You don't even need a a big Cha investment really.

I actually debated a warlock dip in all honesty although I doubt this character would be very partial to demons

Dankus Memakus
2019-04-18, 11:47 AM
You don't think the Fire Genasi got enough fire spells?

I mean, they have two but for a spellsword two isn’t very much

Grod_The_Giant
2019-04-18, 02:13 PM
Especially given that Burning Hands is 1/day and doesn't scale.

I actually debated a warlock dip in all honesty although I doubt this character would be very partial to demons
You don't have to make a pact with demons-- the Celestial is pretty decent at fire. Not as good as the Fiend, admittedly, but the options that are available (Green Flame Blade, Hellish Rebuke, Flaming Sphere) aren't bad for someone who's primarily dependent on weapons. And if you want a really fiery gish, Draconic Sorcerer is not at all a bad choice. Con save proficiency, 13+Dex AC, extra health, Cha-to-fire-damage (including both hits of Green Flame Blade) make for a solid start, especially if you pick a race/dip a class that gives you a decent weapon and/or armor proficiency*. And the Sorcerer spell list has all the fire spells you could ask for, from Firebolt to Meteor Swarm.

*Drow work really well; Mountain Dwarves are good for a more Str-focused build. And, of course... Hexblade grumble grumble Hex Warrior too good grumble

Unoriginal
2019-04-18, 05:31 PM
You could also say that your Fiend Patron is actually your Azer grandparent.

Would taking Magic Initiate give you enough?

Dankus Memakus
2019-04-19, 08:07 PM
You could also say that your Fiend Patron is actually your Azer grandparent.

Would taking Magic Initiate give you enough?

Fiend patron=Azer grandparent. Thank you that’s awesome. Should I take one or two levels of fighter?

Or straight blade lock?

Grod_The_Giant
2019-04-19, 08:58 PM
Fiend patron=Azer grandparent. Thank you that’s awesome. Should I take one or two levels of fighter?

Or straight blade lock?
I'd probably start with Fighter 1, yeah-- since you're not going the Hexblade route, you'll want to pick up armor and Con save proficiencies somewhere, and Fighter is the best way to do that.

ImproperJustice
2019-04-19, 10:33 PM
Azer’s have Dwarven origins right?

If so, could a Dwarven Thrower be in your future?

I have a buddy with a level 12 Dwarven Champion who tears stuff up with a Thrower.

Crits hit big, and he can still pack a shield.
He often used shield master to shove foes to give more space for hammer tosses.

Nhorianscum
2019-04-20, 10:00 AM

For the concept?

EK (I'd toss in a forge cleric dip... Or a deep dive past 11Fi) all the way. More so in solo play. Just drop your hammer as a totally free action when you need to cast things and recall it with a BA or item interaction until you can snag a ruby or warcaster.

Dankus Memakus
2019-04-20, 10:23 AM
Azer’s have Dwarven origins right?

If so, could a Dwarven Thrower be in your future?

I have a buddy with a level 12 Dwarven Champion who tears stuff up with a Thrower.

Crits hit big, and he can still pack a shield.
He often used shield master to shove foes to give more space for hammer tosses.

I’m technically playing a fire genasi so technically I don’t think I could use it sadly

Unoriginal
2019-04-20, 12:26 PM
Azers may somewhat look like dwarves, but they're not related to dwarvenkin. The Thrower wouldn't work.

Fiend patron=Azer grandparent. Thank you that’s awesome.

You're welcome!

Should I take one or two levels of fighter?

Or straight blade lock?

Well, a Bladelock is still more a caster than a martial. For an actual spellsword, I'd say the level(s) in Fighter would be better.