PDA

View Full Version : TV The Boys

t209
2019-04-17, 09:27 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hDGFseoTb4
Basically, if Boku No Hero Academia/My Hero Academia is a celebration of super heroes, then this is the polar opposite.
While My Hero Academia and The Boys do have issues of superhero celebrity culture, the former explained that Super Hero acting altruistically as a positive rather than conflating every superheroes as selfish egomaniac.
Also replace the Boys with Marshal Law too.

An Enemy Spy
2019-04-17, 09:46 PM
I can't stand The Boys. It's just crass "deconstruction" with nothing cogent to say about superheroes other than they're bad and you're bad for liking them.

Magic_Hat
2019-04-17, 10:02 PM
I can't stand The Boys. It's just crass "deconstruction" with nothing cogent to say about superheroes other than they're bad and you're bad for liking them.

Wait I thought this thread was about The Boys. Why are you bringing up the MCU?

Rynjin
2019-04-17, 10:42 PM
Wait I thought this thread was about The Boys. Why are you bringing up the MCU?

Do you...do anything besides bitch about the MCU? Is this just your meme throwaway you use for that, because I've never seen you post about anything else.

Are you a bot invented by Warner Brothers to stalk the internet and jam unfunny, uninsightful "criticisms" of the MCU even where it's not relevant to the discussion?

What's the scoop?

D-naras
2019-04-18, 02:54 AM
First Preacher and now the Boys. Is Amazon Prime is going through Garth Enis' comicbooks?

I've read the Boys a few years back, not because it was good, but it was fun in a very gory, ham-fisted, the-world-is-a-terrible-place-y way. I hope the show keeps the wanton violence and gore. It also looks like the leader Boy is played by Karl Urban which is always a plus for me.

I'm definitely going to see this the moment it drops.

-edit: Just checked the wikipedia page of the series. Simon Pegg has a part as Hughie's father. Hughie is the audience's surrogate character of the comics, that was designed to look like Simon Pegg so that's a cute nod.

Wraith
2019-04-18, 03:06 AM
I read The Boys when they were a monthly comic - they are ridiculous in a very entertaining and outrageous kind of way, but very definitely full of Garth Ennis' usual heavy-handed nonsense. Full of "shocking" imagery and nihilism, saying that it was "enjoyable" to read was based entirely on the requirement of a very dark sense of humour... and possibly quite a juvenile one, too.

75% of whats in the comics is probably unbroadcastable. I'll be interested to see what has survived from the original, and I love the look of the cast and what they sound like, but quite a lot of it has potential to be VERY cringeworthy.

Case in point. It could have a lot more to say, but if the script only follows The Boys as they go around kneecapping other superheroes for being hypocrites then it could end up being very one-dimensional gorn.

GloatingSwine
2019-04-18, 03:35 AM
It’s interesting that the OP brings up My Hero Academia because in that series supers are trained and regulated professionals and one of the central reasons the supers in The Boys are so bad is that they aren’t.

Supers in the world of The Boys are the product of corporate irresponsibility, created as a weapon to try to sell them to the US government and given no training for anything. Meanwhile they’re too powerful for anyone to meaningfully apply consequences to them for their own irresponsible actions so they have, over time, become terrible people because nobody can tell them otherwise.

The Jack
2019-04-18, 07:05 AM
The comics were a farce. Everything's Worst Possible (but improbable) scenario.

Dude's a hack.

Vizzerdrix
2019-04-18, 11:51 AM
Ooooh! I've been hoping The Boys would get a show. This is some darn good news. :smallsmile:

Dragonus45
2019-04-19, 10:31 AM
I remember quite liking this comic when I was about 15 or so. Nowadays I just find it over edgy and kind of boring with a side of ham fisted pushiness. Also I don’t see how you could really adapt about 75% of it without triggering half the audience into a coma unless you cut so much it out it effectively just stops being The Boys to begin with.