PDA

View Full Version : Putting Variants Together: The Force of Nature Druid

Fax Celestis
2007-10-02, 03:36 PM
Coupling a few variants together, one can come up with a druid class that I like to call the "Force of Nature." It fits a very different role than the Druid presented in the PHB, being much more of an intended melee-monster. Despite spellcasting not being on the table, it is there and unchanged, but for the lack of ability to spontaneously convert summon nature's ally spells. Here's what it looks like:

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|AC Bonus|Speed Bonus

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|AC Bonus, Nature Sense, Wild Empathy, First Favored Enemy, Track, Rage (1/day), Pounce|+0|+0

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Woodland Stride|+0|+0

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3|Trackless Step|+0|+10

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Resist Nature's Lure|+0|+10

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Second Favored Enemy, Rage (2/day)|+1|+10

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+5|-|+1|+20

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+5|-|+1|+20

8th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+2|
+6|Swift Tracker|+1|+20

9th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+3|
+6|Venom Immunity|+1|+30

10th|
+7/+2|
+7|
+3|
+7|Third Favored Enemy, Rage (3/day)|+2|+30

11th|
+8/+3|
+7|
+3|
+7|-|+2|+30

12th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+4|
+8|-|+2|+40

13th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+4|
+8|A Thousand Faces|+2|+40

14th|
+10/+5|
+9|
+4|
+9|-|+2|+40

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+9|
+5|
+9|Timeless Body, Fourth Favored Enemy, Rage (4/day)|+3|+50

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10|-|+3|+50

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10|Tireless Rage|+3|+50

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+11|-|+3|+60

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+11|-|+3|+60
20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+12|Fifth Favored Enemy, Rage (5/day)|+4|+60
[/table]

Skills: 4+Int, As druid plus Intimidate.
Proficiencies: As druid, less armor and shield proficiencies.
Wild Empathy: As druid, but with a -4 penalty.
Rage: As barbarian. Does not gain the greater rage, indomitable will, or mighty rage abilities.
Tireless Rage: As barbarian.
Track: As ranger.
Swift Tracker: As ranger.
AC Bonus: As monk.
Speed Bonus: As monk.
All others: as druid.

This does make one assumption: that one can use the barbarian fast movement gained from one of the variants to qualify for the Lion Totem alternate class feature from CCham. If not, increase the speed bonus by 10' for all levels.

Another good option to use in this instance is to replace Favored Enemy with Favored Environment, though I decided to leave it as-is in this instance for that "hunter" feel.

tainsouvra
2007-10-02, 03:43 PM
Seems like a lot squeezed into that first level. It's not bad even before Rage and Pounce are on there, maybe you'd want to spread it out a little.

Qooroo
2007-10-02, 03:49 PM
If this is too much of a threadjack, let me know and I'll branch it into a new thread. I've been tinkering with this same kind of massive hybrid, and I've been trying to figure out a way to put the Shapeshift and Avenger variants together. The inherent problem is that they both replace Animal Companion. Now, it's well accepted that Shapeshift is weaker than Wild Shape, much less Wild Shape + AC, but I recognize that AC is eliminated to not make the class too topheavy. So, basically, I'm trying to figure out what the best level one ability to scrap from the Druidic Avenger to give it Shapeshift would be.

Any thoughts?

Fax Celestis
Seems like a lot squeezed into that first level. It's not bad even before Rage and Pounce are on there, maybe you'd want to spread it out a little.

Actually, like I said, I'm just putting (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#druid) variants (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#druidVariantDruidicAve nger) together.

Lemur
(You'll probably want to move this to Homebrew)

It's definitely too frontloaded. Pounce, especially, has no need to be there at level one. Wait at the very least until level 7,

Also, it would be better to split up the gains of Favored Enemy and Rage, to cut down on dead levels. For example, have the second favored enemy at level 5, then the the second rage at level 6, and like so for the other levels.

Edit: ^Ahhh, I see what you're getting at now. Pounce is a barbarian variant, not a class feature variant, however. It might be kosher to turn rage into whirling frenzy (which is a variant of the rage mechanic, not the barbarian class) but I don't think it's a good idea to assume you can mix class variants just because two classes have the same abilities, or it would set precedent for some crazy stuff.

Jasdoif
2007-10-02, 03:52 PM
Druidic Avenger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#druidVariantDruidicAve nger) plus simple Druid variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#druid), I take it? (If so, remember that the Druidic Avenger doesn't have Diplomacy as a class skill, Intimidate replaces it)

I like it. It really adds to Favored Enemy/Environment, as you've got the speed and Survival bonuses and such to track anything of your preferred type or terrain exceptionally well. And even better, now you can pounce and rage, so you can do something once you've tracked whatever it is down.

EDIT: Oh look, ninja'd by a confirmation of my first guess. Answering my question before I ask it, that's impressive....

Leon
2007-10-02, 06:50 PM
Its a good mix, ive been playing one for a while now.
Ive added a couple of more small changes from the standard 2 variants - Arcane favoured Enemy from Complete Mage and Heat Endurance from Sandstorm

My only real problem has been with having a spell that whould have been useful out of combat take up a slot when i need something else - and a Feat will fix that for me at Lvl 6 (Spont healer) as Instant Animals dont really save the day whenthe **** hits the fan

Ive a couple of Flaws that Modify my Rage ability (Slow to Anger and Blind Rage)

Other than that my only real problem stems from my dice rolling and not the class..... sigh, can roll brilliant out of combat but once it starts i cant hit the broadside of a Mekillot

Dr. Weasel
2007-10-02, 09:22 PM
I've played something similar with Ferocity instead of Rage and no Pounce.

I had a lot of fun with it. The biggest problem I had is that Druids don't get Hide/Move Silently as class skills, which interfered with the concept of my character (I probably should have just used a Swordsage, but I didn't have ToB then).

It's neat though and it at least gives the illusion of playing a unique character.

Gralamin
2007-10-03, 12:37 AM
Permission to steal your idea, and post a sorcerer Variant mix?

Fax Celestis
2007-10-03, 11:23 AM
Permission to steal your idea, and post a sorcerer Variant mix?

Go right ahead.