PDA

View Full Version : Orogs (I need some info, please)

AwfulLawful
2007-10-02, 03:57 PM
I'm currently running a modified version of the Sons of Gruumsh adventure and need to add some extra Orogs... But i simply can't find information about them anywhere (My Google-fu didn't work), could you please tell me which book i need to look in?
I need to know the stats of the basic Orog Warrior, and how to create an Orog with class levels.

-AwfulLawful

Dhavaer
2007-10-02, 04:15 PM
They're in Races of Faerun, I think.

Threeshades
2007-10-02, 04:26 PM
They're in Races of Faerun, I think.

Correct. Races of Faerūn holds some nice information about the drow-version of the orcs:smallwink:

AwfulLawful
2007-10-02, 04:29 PM
Thanks, i'll go get that book:smallsmile:

Thinker
2007-10-02, 04:30 PM
Thanks, i'll go get that book:smallsmile:

Its on page 71. Also, check your PMs.

AtomicKitKat
2007-10-02, 08:23 PM
Meh. Drow orcs. Back in the day, they were the issue of an orc father and an ogre mother, if I remembered right.:smallbiggrin:

Dullyanna
2007-10-02, 08:43 PM
Meh. Drow orcs. Back in the day, they were the issue of an orc father and an ogre mother, if I remembered right.:smallbiggrin:

I'm pretty sure you're right. Then again, my memory is awful. And this is off topic, but whatever happened to ogrillons?

DraPrime
2007-10-02, 08:48 PM
I'm pretty sure you're right. Then again, my memory is awful. And this is off topic, but whatever happened to ogrillons?

They disappeared like many messed up races that should never have existed.

Miraqariftsky
2007-10-02, 08:52 PM
Hooy-ba! Methinks they're still around... only in the writings of R.A.Salvatore--- specifically, in the book "In Sylvan Shadows".

Dullyanna
2007-10-02, 08:55 PM
They disappeared like many messed up races that should never have existed.

Ah, that's right. I just google'd them, and now I remember that they're the offspring of a male ogre and a female orc... ew.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-10-02, 09:04 PM
Ah, that's right. I just google'd them, and now I remember that they're the offspring of a male ogre and a female orc... ew.
Yeah. Orogs and Ogrillions are two different types of Ogre-Orc Hybrids...

But now Orogs are drow-orc hybrids? Why?

DraPrime
2007-10-02, 09:06 PM

What? How? Didn't that hurt? But, but, but, the size difference! OMG DISTURBING MENTAL IMAGE!!!!!!!!

Dullyanna
2007-10-02, 09:11 PM
Yeah. Orogs and Ogrillions are two different types of Ogre-Orc Hybrids...

But now Orogs are drow-orc hybrids? Why?

I'm pretty sure they aren't drow-orc abominations. I think a lot of 'em just emigrated to somewhere in the underdark. Apparently, they're smarter than orcs or ogres... which makes no sense whatsoever.

0oo0
2007-10-02, 09:34 PM
I'm pretty sure they aren't drow-orc abominations. I think a lot of 'em just emigrated to somewhere in the underdark. Apparently, they're smarter than orcs or ogres... which makes no sense whatsoever.

Lack of light helps foster growth in orc brains. It's a strange reverse photosynthesis process I think.

Idea Man
2007-10-02, 09:44 PM
The current orogs make for a pretty cool villain. Emphasis on martial training and battle enhancing magic, with strength and charisma high. Level adjustment for a PC version is a little steep, as I recall, so I've never played one.

But I will... :smallamused:

Lord Tataraus
2007-10-02, 09:47 PM
That's why I don't go for half-breeds. To screwed up and disturbing.

Stormcrow
2007-10-02, 09:58 PM
I've got Races of Faerun and I'm pretty sure it says they are still the offspring of Ogres and Orcs, it just goes further and says this is caused by those two races being prime candidates as drow slaves. Thus why they are living together long term.

_Slightly_ off topic have you considered using Tanaruk? They are in Races of Faerun also. Half-Orc Half-Devil from Hellgate keep. Might mesh nicely in sons of Gruumsh.

AtomicKitKat
2007-10-03, 01:37 AM
To clarify, I didn't mean the current Orogs were the issue of drow+orc. I meant that they were basically "Orcs, but cooler", in the same way that Drow are "Elves, but cooler". With "" around cooler.

Yeril
2007-10-03, 02:20 AM
What? How? Didn't that hurt? But, but, but, the size difference! OMG DISTURBING MENTAL IMAGE!!!!!!!!

Orc women love it rough.

Personaly I hate the whole "Dark -Insert race-" thing.

Sure Dark elves seem preety cool.. oh they have dark dwarves too called Drauger.. and dark.. gnomes.. and halflings.. and humans.. and dark halfelves and dark orcs and dark ogres and dark dragons and dark angels and dark pelors... I could go on.

bosssmiley
2007-10-03, 07:46 AM

Ogres are like gorillas in that respect: big beast, tiny penor (explains why adult male gorillas look so glum all the time). :smallwink:

Orogs were done best in "Birthright", which had them replace Orcs outright (no orcs, one breed of elf, evil halflings, 1/2 dozen unique non-colour co-ordinated named dragons, BBEGs with style - I love that setting). Of course, the Orogs' niche of 'Uruk Hai' lite was then stolen by Hobgoblins in 3.5... :smallamused:

Didn't the Orogs turn up again as the Scro in "Spelljammer" though? In that case DRagon #335 have the stats.

Dullyanna
2007-10-03, 10:25 AM
Lack of light helps foster growth in orc brains. It's a strange reverse photosynthesis process I think.

Problem with that is, their mommies are even more... intellectually impaired than their daddies. As far as I know, stupid + ****ing stupid= pretty damn stupid, more or less.

Ralfarius
2007-10-03, 10:47 AM
I'm pretty sure the orogs in FR as of the printing of the Races of Faerun book aren't a cross-breed. They're, like dark elves, simply orcs that migrated deep underground. The reason they're so superior to a normal orc is that their environment demands more of them.

Fighteer
2007-10-03, 11:18 AM
Didn't the Orogs turn up again as the Scro in "Spelljammer" though? In that case DRagon #335 have the stats.
Technically, the Scro are "slightly smarter" orcs who, in the wake of repeated defeats at the hands of the Elven Imperial Navy, reinvented themselves as a Lawful Evil society and built a huge war machine dedicated to the destruction of the elves. They still keep the lesser goblinoids around as slaves/servants, with the Scro as their military elite. I don't recall any specific reference to ogre ancestry, but it's been a while.

The Scro also feature prominently in the series of novels set in the Spelljammer universe - the general of their armada is a crossbreed with regeneration and magic immunity - quite a nasty chap.

Person_Man
2007-10-03, 11:30 AM
I have a house rule where a player can be a half-anything, but they must choose the racial characteristics of one of their parents. So if you want to be the son of a Storm Giant and a Halfling ("We met in a bar, your mother was very, very drunk") for roleplaying reasons, you can be. But you essentially pop out as a Storm Giant or a Halfling, with an appearance that fits whatever description you want. It also solves the problem of Half-Elves and Half-Orcs being cruddy races.

Dullyanna
2007-10-03, 12:09 PM
I'm pretty sure the orogs in FR as of the printing of the Races of Faerun book aren't a cross-breed. They're, like dark elves, simply orcs that migrated deep underground. The reason they're so superior to a normal orc is that their environment demands more of them.

I've seen that come out of the tubes as well.

Link to a stupid contradiction-http://www.answers.com/orog

Edit:Isn't this discussion off topic? If so, should we bother to move it?

Starbuck_II
2007-10-03, 01:20 PM
Problem with that is, their mommies are even more... intellectually impaired than their daddies. As far as I know, stupid + ****ing stupid= pretty damn stupid, more or less.

Forrest Gump was smart-ish: and his parents were dumb. Matilda movie (little girl with psychic powers) had dumb parents.

Dullyanna
2007-10-03, 01:27 PM
Forrest Gump was smart-ish: and his parents were dumb. Matilda movie (little girl with psychic powers) had dumb parents.

That's very, very true (Although Gump strikes me as more of a high wisdom guy). Only counterargument I can think of is that nearly all ogres and orcs are stupid, while there are enough intelligent humans that both smart and stupid genes exist in large numbers:smalltongue: .

AwfulLawful
2007-10-03, 03:26 PM
_Slightly_ off topic have you considered using Tanaruk? They are in Races of Faerun also. Half-Orc Half-Devil from Hellgate keep. Might mesh nicely in sons of Gruumsh.

I want these guys to be more like LotR Uruk-Hai, and Orogs seem to do the job quite well. In our campaign world (we're not playing in forgotten realms, just using the adventure) these superior orcs doesn't live underground either. They are surface dwellers who have a country of their own and an eeevil nazi-theme going on.

Zare
2007-10-03, 03:37 PM
Ogres are like gorillas in that respect: big beast, tiny penor

Just so you know, you forced me to do the most embarrassing google search ever.

Stormcrow
2007-10-03, 06:17 PM
I want these guys to be more like LotR Uruk-Hai, and Orogs seem to do the job quite well. In our campaign world (we're not playing in forgotten realms, just using the adventure) these superior orcs doesn't live underground either. They are surface dwellers who have a country of their own and an eeevil nazi-theme going on.

*nods* The Tanaruk are more like... the Uruk Hai on Steroids really. They have spell resistance and the whole deal. :P

Closet_Skeleton
2007-10-04, 02:24 AM

Tanaruk are Orc Planetouched, not half-devils. An orc half-devil would be an orc with the half-fiend template. A Tanaruk is to an orc as a tielfling is to a human.

Stormcrow
2007-10-04, 07:57 PM
And teiflings have infernal heritage. I was actually describing the thematic story components rather than the collection of templates applied to the creature. If you actually _read_ the tanaruk entry it goes into it several times that the reason for their nature is infernal or abyssal ancestry, which is precisely what I was getting at. Had I said that they were Orcs with the half fiend template then your correctory tirade would have been well justified. But as I made a thematic statement I feel that you may have jumped to conclusions.

SylverWyrd
2008-04-01, 03:29 PM
I am also looking for stats for Orog npc's since I am running The Sons of Grummsch. This new game module is the only place that has stats, and they are few and far between. Most of the stats in it are for other creaturs, and orcs.

I was kind of disappointed about this.

You can find stats on Orogs, but not the ones in this game.

Using those stats would create a massive imbalance in The Sons of Grummsch. I intend to make up my own.

OOoooooooooooo that smell! Can't you smell that smell? Oooooooooooo that smell! The smell of death around me!

mostlyharmful
2008-04-01, 05:34 PM
*nods* The Tanaruk are more like... the Uruk Hai on Steroids really. They have spell resistance and the whole deal. :P

A better model for Urak-Hai would probably be an orc society with LE as the usuall, no daylight crappiness and no int negs. Throw on an extended life expectancy and a +1 LA and you're golden.