PDA

View Full Version : DM Help I need a gift for a level 7 Kobold Shadow monk

Forever-Fused
2019-04-18, 09:09 AM
I'm currently running a game for my Fiance, who is playing a level 7 Kobold Shadow Monk. In this last game she just freed a level 20 necromancer who had been trapped in a book for centuries. He wants to do or give her something as gratitude, and also to get her to tell anyone asking that she sold the book to a traveling merchant. Maybe he'll make it a part of the deal that he casts modify memory on her so she thinks that's what actually happened.

I'm not sure what he could give her, being a level 20 wizard allows for some options. For example I read about True Polymorph, which would allow him to turn an object into a cr 9 creature. If he keeps concentration for an hour it becomes permanent. But giving the group a cr 9 npc at level 7 would be too much. Does anyone have any other suggestions for me?

Shuruke
2019-04-18, 09:30 AM
I'd recemend a ring of spell storing

Up to 5 levels worth of spells in it with highest allowed being third

Would allow shadow monk to spend ki and store things like darkness and pass without trace for later use

If u go this route when they get it have it have haste and invisibility in it

Wildarm
2019-04-18, 09:50 AM
I'm currently running a game for my Fiance, who is playing a level 7 Kobold Shadow Monk. In this last game she just freed a level 20 necromancer who had been trapped in a book for centuries. He wants to do or give her something as gratitude, and also to get her to tell anyone asking that she sold the book to a traveling merchant. Maybe he'll make it a part of the deal that he casts modify memory on her so she thinks that's what actually happened.

I'm not sure what he could give her, being a level 20 wizard allows for some options. For example I read about True Polymorph, which would allow him to turn an object into a cr 9 creature. If he keeps concentration for an hour it becomes permanent. But giving the group a cr 9 npc at level 7 would be too much. Does anyone have any other suggestions for me?

True polymorph works but instead use it on her to turn her into a Urd - A winged Kobold. Bring her one step closer to becoming a true dragon. Huge boost for mobility options on a monk. Not necessarily overpowering as players have multiple ways to get flight at level 7. She's a shadow monk anyway so can teleport easily. This lets her melee with fliers now.

Galithar
2019-04-18, 07:42 PM
True polymorph works but instead use it on her to turn her into a Urd - A winged Kobold. Bring her one step closer to becoming a true dragon. Huge boost for mobility options on a monk. Not necessarily overpowering as players have multiple ways to get flight at level 7. She's a shadow monk anyway so can teleport easily. This lets her melee with fliers now.

I think this is a great gift. Kobolds typically want to be more dragon like and this is a way to give that to her character. It's a slight boost in power, but a huge boost in cool factor in my opinion.

DarkKnightJin
2019-04-19, 04:42 AM
I think this is a great gift. Kobolds typically want to be more dragon like and this is a way to give that to her character. It's a slight boost in power, but a huge boost in cool factor in my opinion.

There is an 'Expanded Racial Feats' PDF on DM's Guild, I think. It's as official as '3rd party' stuff gets, and has racial Feats for the Volo's Guide races.
Urd Wings is literally what the Kobold one is called, and gives +1 Dex and I believe a 30ft fly speed if they aren't wearing Medium or Heavy armor.
Perfect for a Monk.

stoutstien
2019-04-19, 11:18 AM
Sunglasses.

Moltenbrisingr
2019-04-19, 11:54 AM
Honestly i think it would be pretty funny to cast clone on her and then mod her memory. That way she doesn't know she has an extra life but can still come back if the worst happens.

MikeRoxTheBoat
2019-04-19, 01:15 PM
There is an 'Expanded Racial Feats' PDF on DM's Guild, I think. It's as official as '3rd party' stuff gets, and has racial Feats for the Volo's Guide races.
Urd Wings is literally what the Kobold one is called, and gives +1 Dex and I believe a 30ft fly speed if they aren't wearing Medium or Heavy armor.
Perfect for a Monk.

I might also recommend adding a trait that lets her see in magical darkness. Kind of a lesser version of a real dragon's true sight. I know as a Shadow Monk myself, I almost never use the darkness spell 'cause I can't see in it and don't want to multiclass in Warlock just for it.