PDA

View Full Version : Class and subclass features as Epic Boons.

Menelik
2019-04-18, 12:12 PM
I have heard and read quite a few people suggesting to give epic characters class and subclass features as Epic Boons, and while that sounds very good to me, I was wondering what kind of class features would be considered acceptable.

For example, Extra Attack (2) and Extra Attack (3) would be something every warrior would want, but it sounds unfair to the Fighters, since just one or two Epic Boons would give the other characters one of their best advantages.

I think the same about letting other characters learn Wizard, Cleric, Bard, Sorcerer or Druid casting levels... It is too powerful...

And I would not give other classes trademark features like a Bard's Song, a Paladin's Auras, Smites or Lay of Hands, a Barbarian's Rage, a Druid's Shapechanging, a Rogue's Sneak Attack... etc.

A watered down version of those would be acceptable, however. like a Sneak Attack that only goes up to 3d6 (and it would take three Epic Boons to reach that), or Rage like a 1st level Barbarian (and can't be raised beyond that), Extra Attacks that can be used only once per day...

Some other stuff I think would maybe be appropriate:

Paladin, Ranger, Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster casting levels.

More Fighting Styles.

An Eldritch Knight's Weapon Bond, War Magic, Improved War Magic and Eldritch Strike, if the character has both Extra Attack and is a spellcaster.

An Horizon Walker's Planar Warrior, Portal Lore, Ethereal Step, Distant Strike and Spectral Defense, if the character is a spellcaster and a planeswalker.

An Arcane Trickster's Mage Hand Legerdemain, Magical Ambush and Versatile Trickster, if the character can cast Mage Hand.

What do you think about it? What class features do you think would be fine to give as Epic Boons, and what wouldn't?

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-18, 03:27 PM
I have heard and read quite a few people suggesting to give epic characters class and subclass features as Epic Boons, and while that sounds very good to me, I was wondering what kind of class features would be considered acceptable.

For example, Extra Attack (2) and Extra Attack (3) would be something every warrior would want, but it sounds unfair to the Fighters, since just one or two Epic Boons would give the other characters one of their best advantages.

I think the same about letting other characters learn Wizard, Cleric, Bard, Sorcerer or Druid casting levels... It is too powerful...

And I would not give other classes trademark features like a Bard's Song, a Paladin's Auras, Smites or Lay of Hands, a Barbarian's Rage, a Druid's Shapechanging, a Rogue's Sneak Attack... etc.

A watered down version of those would be acceptable, however. like a Sneak Attack that only goes up to 3d6 (and it would take three Epic Boons to reach that), or Rage like a 1st level Barbarian (and can't be raised beyond that), Extra Attacks that can be used only once per day...

Some other stuff I think would maybe be appropriate:

Paladin, Ranger, Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster casting levels.

More Fighting Styles.

An Eldritch Knight's Weapon Bond, War Magic, Improved War Magic and Eldritch Strike, if the character has both Extra Attack and is a spellcaster.

An Horizon Walker's Planar Warrior, Portal Lore, Ethereal Step, Distant Strike and Spectral Defense, if the character is a spellcaster and a planeswalker.

An Arcane Trickster's Mage Hand Legerdemain, Magical Ambush and Versatile Trickster, if the character can cast Mage Hand.

What do you think about it? What class features do you think would be fine to give as Epic Boons, and what wouldn't?

I think that virtually every subclass feature should be fine, as long as they aren't dependent upon a main class feature. Obviously, you can't get the Bear Totem benefits if you can't Rage.

At level 20, it doesn't really matter too much in what direction you grow in. When a Wizard has 3 or so ways of teleporting to another plane each day, what difference is a telekinetic hand going to make?

Menelik
2019-04-18, 05:55 PM
I think that virtually every subclass feature should be fine, as long as they aren't dependent upon a main class feature. Obviously, you can't get the Bear Totem benefits if you can't Rage.

At level 20, it doesn't really matter too much in what direction you grow in. When a Wizard has 3 or so ways of teleporting to another plane each day, what difference is a telekinetic hand going to make?

What about class features? Is there any class feature you would allow to become an Epic Boon? Like Fleet of Foot (Revised Ranger), Blindsense, Evasion, Elusive or Slippery Mind...?

Yuroch Kern
2019-04-18, 06:02 PM
A mild take on that was my DM granting features from your primary class'es other path. My Valor bard gained Cutting Words. My Champion fighter gained Weapon Bond. Keeps it thematic.

Vulsutyr
2019-04-18, 06:22 PM
Well the higher level features should probably not be given out. Things like the Magical Secrets (dont give druids a chance to cast wish), Survivor (Regeneration), Diamond Soul (Prof with ALL saves), Mystic Arcanum (6-9 lvl spells as a feature), Spell Mastery (Unlimited Shield and Invisibility), and Spell Resistance are too powerful compared to normal Epic Boons. Also, probably don't give out features that are especially flavor-connected with the class. Wizards can't just start getting divine blessings without a god, for example.

Also probably don't give out features to one player that are important to another player. For instance, if the party druid loves wildshaping don't let the rogue start doing it. That's not fun.