PDA

View Full Version : If the rider of a mount uses disengage does the mount provoke aoo

Shuruke
2019-04-18, 02:09 PM
So I'm mainly wondering this from a hit and run stand point

If a second level rogue , a second level monk spending ki, or a goblin use disengage to back put of melee safely would their mount still provoke attacks

If not would it effect balance to allow it

I am wondering as a DM , one of players wants to buy a warhorse and do a attack +horse trample followed by bonus action disengage

Admael
2019-04-18, 02:21 PM
There are two options for mounted combat, according to the PHB (page 198), you either control the mount directly, in which case it moves on your initiative order and can only take the Dash, Disengage, or Dodge action, no attack option available. The second option is if you have an independent mount, this is where the PC is just along for the ride, so to speak, the mount moves and acts on its own, and hopefully leaves the PC in a good place to attack when their turn in the initiative order comes up.

In both cases, the PC disengaging would not prevent the mount from taking Attacks of opportunity.

Shuruke
2019-04-18, 02:23 PM
There are two options for mounted combat, according to the PHB (page 198), you either control the mount directly, in which case it moves on your initiative order and can only take the Dash, Disengage, or Dodge action, no attack option available. The second option is if you have an independent mount, this is where the PC is just along for the ride, so to speak, the mount moves and acts on its own, and hopefully leaves the PC in a good place to attack when their turn in the initiative order comes up.

In both cases, the PC disengaging would not prevent the mount from taking Attacks of opportunity.

Ok thanks for info ^.^ I wasnt sure of their was any other rules other than phb so thought I'd ask

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-18, 02:23 PM
No, the rider's Disengage does nothing for the mount, in the same way that the Mount using the Dodge action does not make the Rider harder to hit.

The concern here is that you're allowing the Mount to Dash, effectively meaning 80 movement, while also being allowed to Disengage at the same time, while the Rider can attack.

Consider what it would take for a standard Rogue to hit 80 feet. He'd need to use his Cunning Action and either use his Action to Dash or have the Mobile feat.

Or, in other words, allowing the Rogue/Monk to do this on a mount is effectively giving those characters the Mobile feat while mounted. Do keep in mind that the Mobile feat is considered one of the better feats of the game.

VonDragon
2019-04-18, 04:08 PM
I think the mount using disengage should prevent opportunity attacks though due to you being forced to move with the mount and forced movement doesn't provoke if im correct?

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-18, 04:15 PM
I think the mount using disengage should prevent opportunity attacks though due to you being forced to move with the mount and forced movement doesn't provoke if im correct?

That is correct. However, the OP is describing the rider using Disengage for the mount's movement.

Rukelnikov
2019-04-18, 05:43 PM

That is correct, OP is describing the rider using Disengage for the mount's movement.

That's how I rule it too, but I think it's not RAW and it's definitely not RAI

EDIT: Nah, I was remembering wrong it does work like that RAW and RAI

Shuruke
2019-04-18, 06:18 PM
That's how I rule it too, but I think it's not RAW and it's definitely not RAI

EDIT: Nah, I was remembering wrong it does work like that RAW and RAI

So in short I just need to help the player find a way for the mount to take bonus action disengage XD

Time for war horse with 2 rogue levels XD

Rukelnikov
2019-04-18, 06:28 PM
So in short I just need to help the player find a way for the mount to take bonus action disengage XD

Time for war horse with 2 rogue levels XD

In 3e we once played an adventure which centered around a group of teens from a small mountain village having to go thru a coming of age ceremony, one of the points of it was taming horses. They village was known for its riders (kinda like Rohan), so the better the steed they tame the better they would look in the eyes of the village.

They spent 2 whole adventures finding and taming horses, the best one they found was Ftr5, they didn't know this, one of the PCs managed to tame it and many a time Courage, as the horse was named, ended up being the MVP. Great character that horse.

EDIT: In case you are not familiar with it, this is a UA designed for sidekicks, its basically 3 classes for sideckicks, and how and when to lvl them, its designed for this kinda thing https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA_Sidekicks.pdf

JackPhoenix
2019-04-18, 08:46 PM

Technically correct. However, if the mount doesn't disengage, OA can target the rider per specific exception in mounted combat rules.