PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Changing hexblade weapon

sleepyhead
2019-04-18, 02:12 PM
So let's say I was playing a hexblade warlock and my patron also had a deal with my characters father and was bounded to his sword, then passed down to me. Then I find a better magical sword. How should it be explained with the my hexblade patron changing weapons?

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-18, 02:25 PM
So let's say I was playing a hexblade warlock and my patron also had a deal with my characters father and was bounded to his sword, then passed down to me. Then I find a better magical sword. How should it be explained with the my hexblade patron changing weapons?

You're your father's caretaker. Your Hex Warrior feature is actually you placing your father's soul into the new weapon. Since your Patron was able to bind your father's soul into a weapon, it'd only make sense that you can do the same (or at least transfer your father's soul from blade to blade). Perhaps the more powerful the magical weapon, the better his residency is, so you have a non-mechanical reason to seek out magical weapons.

NaughtyTiger
2019-04-18, 02:31 PM
or... you pleased the Patron so much that it upgraded your weapon, stealing the new abilities and merging it into your pappy's sword, now with sparkles.

sleepyhead
2019-04-18, 02:56 PM
Sparkles are nice, but the idea of an extra goal I could squeeze into my character would be nice for my limited role-playing experience.

Sparkles are nice though
Of course I could always use sparkles in another character.

MikeRoxTheBoat
2019-04-18, 03:03 PM
Just have the Hexblade sword absorb the new sword, then the next time you summon it, it's still your sword, but with characteristics of the new one. Or the other way around, with the sword appearing like the new one, but with characteristics of your pact blade. Maybe ensure your pact weapon has some distinguishing mark, engraving, or ornamentation that every other sword you use then acquires.

Lupine
2019-04-18, 03:16 PM
Just have the Hexblade sword absorb the new sword, then the next time you summon it, it's still your sword, but with characteristics of the new one. Or the other way around, with the sword appearing like the new one, but with characteristics of your pact blade. Maybe ensure your pact weapon has some distinguishing mark, engraving, or ornamentation that every other sword you use then acquires.

I'd agree with that. On the other hand, if the blade already had a magical effect (i.e. it is already has a magic blade) the other blade should pop out when you absorb the new one.

Aimeryan
2019-04-19, 06:39 AM

You are the hexblade, the patron is an entity that empowered you. You then touch a weapon (after a long rest) and channel your will through it. The weapon is just a weapon.