PDA

View Full Version : Circle of the Beast spell options.

kbob
2019-04-18, 07:33 PM
I have a level 2 Druid that is taking the Circle of the Beast that has been published outside of WotC. Link here: https://www.scribd.com/document/316112515/Druid-Circle-Circle-of-the-Beast
I am looking for spells right now and I知 not sure what would be optimal for such a subclass. The char is a wood elf, if that helps. For cantrips I知 leaning toward guidance and shillelagh. For level one I知 looking at entagle and goodberry. However, I am not sold out to any of those. From there I知 not sure where to go. I am open to use anything that is official DnD but not outside of it (with exception of circle itself) and it has to be Forgotten Realms compatible. Ideas?! Thank you!

Griswold
2019-04-19, 07:44 AM
It depends on what you want to do with your beast companion. I'm going to assume you're going for a combat-focused form, since druids can already just wildshape into a utility form themselves.

First Level Spells:

Entangle and Faerie Fire are great; give your companion advantage on attacks. I usually prefer Faerie Fire just because big scary monsters tend to have low Dex saves and high Str saves.
Healing Word will let you heal your companion (or other people) and still use your action to have it attack.
Speak with Animals can be useful if your DM won't otherwise let you give complex commands.

Second Level Spells:

Barkskin is usually not great as a self-buff, since its concentration. But on someone else, it's great. Well, until the bonus to AC means your companion doesn't need it anymore.
Darkvision if you need to stealth through a dark dungeon with your companion.
Flaming Sphere and Heat Metal. Upkeep on these spells is a bonus action, leaving you free to have your beast attack.
Hold Person is crits for days.
Spike Growth can be a huge damage increase if you've got a flying, grappling companion who can drag people around. A pteranodon or giant owl could be passable here.
Wind Wall gives your beast defense against ranged attacks while it closes distance.

kbob
2019-04-19, 08:58 AM
Yes. I am focusing on the animal being combat oriented. And this helps. Thanks