PDA

View Full Version : Boon Option

strangebloke
2019-04-18, 08:43 PM
Had the idea to throw this at a party: They get to pick a boon. The boon is a permanent, undispellable magical buff that makes it such that you're always affected by a second level level spell. The exception here is that you can't have any healing effects, and once again, you're the only target of the spell. You can't pick an AOE spell that effects all targets in a radius from the target. The only creature effected is you.

What ways are there to break this?

What picks are great for various classes?

Is this a boon that you would allow for a relatively high-level party?

Peelee
2019-04-18, 08:57 PM
Had the idea to throw this at a party: They get to pick a boon. The boon is a permanent, undispellable magical buff that makes it such that you're always affected by a second level level spell. The exception here is that you can't have any healing effects, and once again, you're the only target of the spell. You can't pick an AOE spell that effects all targets in a radius from the target. The only creature effected is you.

What ways are there to break this?

Gentle Repose - cleric only ever needs revivify, no poi t in ever casting a higher level resurrecting spell.

Alter Self - steal something, run around the corner, "they went thataway!"

Blur - enemies have permanent disadvantage in attacks.

Invisibility - now Greater Invisibility. Even if you bring in a "you become visible for X minutes after attacking," clause, combat will be the only time anyone will ever see that character again.

Enhance Ability - permanent advantage on checks, possibly also permanent 2d6 HP boost.

Depends on what you think breaks your game, of course.

JNAProductions
2019-04-18, 08:59 PM
Going down the list, on Donjon...

Aid-nice, but hardly breaking anything.
Alter Self-very nice! Great for disguises.
Barkskin-decent for Druids.
Blindness/Deafness-why would you ever...
Calm Emotions-Immunity to Charmed and Frightened. Very useful.
Darlvision-decent, I guess.
Detect Thoughts-another really nifty one.
Enhance Ability-Brutal, dude.
Enlarge/Reduce-Ooh, another good one.
Gentle Repose-For if you plan on being dead a long time.
Invisibility-How does the break clause work?
Levitate-Handy.
Magic Weapon-For Monks, I guess?
Mirror Image-When do they come back, if ever?
Nystul's Magic Aura-Meh.
Pass Without Trace-Rogues say hi.
Protection From Poison-Not bad. Dwarflite.
See Invisibility-Useful.
Shadow Blade-Ooh, good!
Silence-For the mimes.
Spider Climb-Good one.
Spiritual Weapon-Is this allowed?

Rukelnikov
2019-04-18, 09:19 PM
As others said before there are a couple that would need some explanation as to how they work:

Mirror Image - Do I always get 3 images? If so this is likely the best you can get. (Name your character Callistege)
Invisibility - Am I perma invi now? That'd be broken.
Warding Bond - Is anyone taking the other half of the damage? I get resistance to all damage, +1 AC, +1 Saves? I think this may top Mirror Image depending on the character.
Healing Spirit - Is this eligible? 1d6 regen is nice, not broken, but nice.

Others borderline (or fully) broken:

Blur - Always disad on attacks against me
Branding Smite - +2d6 Radiant to all my attacks (works for ranged too!)
Flock of familiars - 1 familiar is awesome and "bist lvl ine spill" blah blah blah? Now you get 3!
Levitate - Poor mans fly

strangebloke
2019-04-18, 09:51 PM
Off the top of my head, I would say that while the boon overcomes any dispel, concentration, or duration limitations, that other text that would end the spell still applies. No permanent greater invisibility or endless mirror image. This rule is in place because you could just as easily argue for a perpetual burning hands or something similar.

Warding bond only applies when you're within 60 feet of the caster so no bueno.

Healing spirit is a healing spell. No bueno.

Personally so far I'd say that blur is the strongest I can think of but that alter self is the most fun. Well actually enlarge/reduce is the most fun, particularly if you're a monk.

Shadow blade and spiritual weapon are very very good too of course.

Sigreid
2019-04-18, 10:19 PM
If I were the party fighter I would want magic weapon. the idea being any weapon I pick up is effectively at least +1. Extremely handy for always being able to bypass resistances and immunities, a cool obvious power, and not going to break the game. There are more powerful things, but being able to beat up a werewolf with any sword, or any random stick would make me smile.

Keravath
2019-04-18, 10:31 PM
You might want to make it an at-will casting of the spell rather than a "non-dispellable permanent magical effect". At-will second level spells that affect yourself are quite powerful already. At least having at-will casting defines how often they can refresh and what has to be done to recreate the spell effect. However, this type of boon might work better than expected for abjuration wizards refilling their wards.

DarkKnightJin
2019-04-18, 11:19 PM
Honestly, I'd grab at-will/always-on Spider Climb and never look back.
Would it come into play very often? Maybe not.
Would it break the game? I might be able to bypass some traps because most trapmakers don't take wall/ceiling travel into account..

But that's about as much as I'd think to do, until I actually have it and can start getting creative in the middle of a session.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2019-04-19, 02:06 AM
Pass without Trace +10 to all stealth rolls permanently... Yes please

strangebloke
2019-04-19, 10:58 AM
If I were the party fighter I would want magic weapon. the idea being any weapon I pick up is effectively at least +1. Extremely handy for always being able to bypass resistances and immunities, a cool obvious power, and not going to break the game. There are more powerful things, but being able to beat up a werewolf with any sword, or any random stick would make me smile.
eh, ymmv. That's fine for you.

Personally unless I was a GWM build I'd prefer shadow blade. Finesse weapon with 2d8 psychic damage? Nice!

You might want to make it an at-will casting of the spell rather than a "non-dispellable permanent magical effect". At-will second level spells that affect yourself are quite powerful already. At least having at-will casting defines how often they can refresh and what has to be done to recreate the spell effect. However, this type of boon might work better than expected for abjuration wizards refilling their wards.
The at-will casting changes things drastically. You can spam hold person or whatever. This boon is more supposed to be a permanent change to what you are not a boon that grants you spellcasting.

Would it break the game? I might be able to bypass some traps because most trapmakers don't take wall/ceiling travel into account..

But that's about as much as I'd think to do, until I actually have it and can start getting creative in the middle of a session.
Spider Climb is definitely a good one for 'fun' value.

I don't think you can really beat Alter Self or Enlarge/Reduce there though. Just being a huge giant that punches people is comedy gold.

Pass without Trace +10 to all stealth rolls permanently... Yes please
definitely fun. I like to think visually how this would work too. Shadows bend around you constantly, even when you sleep. Whenever you consciously try to slip from notice you just sort of... fade out of peoples' conciousness.

Rukelnikov
2019-04-19, 01:33 PM
eh, ymmv. That's fine for you.

Personally unless I was a GWM build I'd prefer shadow blade. Finesse weapon with 2d8 psychic damage? Nice!

The at-will casting changes things drastically. You can spam hold person or whatever. This boon is more supposed to be a permanent change to what you are not a boon that grants you spellcasting.

Spider Climb is definitely a good one for 'fun' value.

I don't think you can really beat Alter Self or Enlarge/Reduce there though. Just being a huge giant that punches people is comedy gold.

definitely fun. I like to think visually how this would work too. Shadows bend around you constantly, even when you sleep. Whenever you consciously try to slip from notice you just sort of... fade out of peoples' conciousness.

I don't think Shadow Blade is that good, Branding Smite is +2d6 to all attacks, a rapier would deal 1d8+2d6, and I can get a magical one later on. The best thing about Shadow Blade is being able to play a soul knife.

MrStabby
2019-04-19, 01:34 PM
Level 2? Or level 2 or lower?

Permanent shield and absorb elements would be good. Wrathful smite on every hit would be obscene.

Armour of Agathys could be fun for always on damage reduction (even if it is just 1st level). Divine favour might not be the best, but always on radiant damage is very flavourful.

strangebloke
2019-04-19, 01:49 PM
I don't think Shadow Blade is that good, Branding Smite is +2d6 to all attacks, a rapier would deal 1d8+2d6, and I can get a magical one later on. The best thing about Shadow Blade is being able to play a soul knife.

Level 2? Or level 2 or lower?

Permanent shield and absorb elements would be good. Wrathful smite on every hit would be obscene.

Armour of Agathys could be fun for always on damage reduction (even if it is just 1st level). Divine favour might not be the best, but always on radiant damage is very flavourful.

Off the top of my head, I would say that while the boon overcomes any dispel, concentration, or duration limitations, that other text that would end the spell still applies. No permanent greater invisibility or endless mirror image. This rule is in place because you could just as easily argue for a perpetual burning hands or something similar.

Quoting my own rules here. Because otherwise you could just say "I pick lesser restoration and therefore am immune to like five conditions" or "I cast misty step and am always teleporting."

NaughtyTiger
2019-04-19, 02:20 PM
i like the narrative with gentle repose.

non-powergamey stuff

enhance ability - fixed type, temp HP recharges per rest
alter self

barkskin
aid (we did this as a charity epic at a con, 2$ bought you 5 extra HP for the game)
find traps
darkvision
beast sense - (should be always on for beastmaster)

detect thoughts? (powerful though, deep scan resets per long rest if target passes saving throw)
see invisibility

nickl_2000
2019-04-19, 02:48 PM
If you allow level 2 or less there are some broken options

Bless - Always on boost of 1d4 to attack and 1d4 to saves. Yes please!
Absorb Elements - Mentioned by others
Comprehend Languages - Pretty nice effect here
Detect Magic - Not broken, but certain quality to always be able to see magical items and effects
Divine Favor - Always do an extra 1d4 radiant damage. With no concentration it makes it worth it
Heroism - Immune to frighten and gain casting mod HP at the start of each turn? YES PLEASE!
Hunter's Mark/Hex - Ohh, and extra 1d6 damage on with a bonus action to move? Yup, also great
Shield - Ya, this is broken good
Shield of Faith - Still really good, but not as broken as shield
Zephyr Strike - Never have an AoO against you again.
Levitate - Pretty quality for someone who doesn't want to be in hand to hand combat
Silence - On a non-caster who can speak with hand-signs? That would be killed against a mage
Zone of Truth - This could be pretty amazing out of combat

Also, the ones others mentioned

strangebloke
2019-04-19, 04:32 PM
i like the narrative with gentle repose.

non-powergamey stuff

enhance ability - fixed type, temp HP recharges per rest
alter self

barkskin
aid (we did this as a charity epic at a con, 2$ bought you 5 extra HP for the game)
find traps
darkvision
beast sense - (should be always on for beastmaster)

detect thoughts? (powerful though, deep scan resets per long rest if target passes saving throw)
see invisibility
My thoughts on your thoughts.

enhance ability is good, although the temp HP does not recharge. CON is likely a bad pick anyway. If you're doing this one for STR, the question is, why not just do enlarge instead? I would go for WIS or CHA here.
Alter Self is fun. It's mask of many faces but with fewer limitations, and you can breath water and give yourself claws!
find traps is great in some campaigns.
Darkvision is kinda eh, honestly. The basic spell lasts a long time and doesn't require concentration. If you aren't casting it as-is, why would you spend a boon on it?
Detect thoughts just doesn't work. you're the only target, so all this spell would do is let the patron read your mind.

If you allow level 2 or less there are some broken options

Bless - Always on boost of 1d4 to attack and 1d4 to saves. Yes please!
Absorb Elements - Mentioned by others
Comprehend Languages - Pretty nice effect here
Detect Magic - Not broken, but certain quality to always be able to see magical items and effects
Divine Favor - Always do an extra 1d4 radiant damage. With no concentration it makes it worth it
Heroism - Immune to frighten and gain casting mod HP at the start of each turn? YES PLEASE!
Hunter's Mark/Hex - Ohh, and extra 1d6 damage on with a bonus action to move? Yup, also great
Shield - Ya, this is broken good
Shield of Faith - Still really good, but not as broken as shield
Zephyr Strike - Never have an AoO against you again.
Levitate - Pretty quality for someone who doesn't want to be in hand to hand combat
Silence - On a non-caster who can speak with hand-signs? That would be killed against a mage
Zone of Truth - This could be pretty amazing out of combat

Also, the ones others mentioned

Bless is great at every level. Only strike against it is that its pretty easy for the party fighter or whoever to cast it as a prayer bead. Also the +1d4 to attacks becomes less relevant over time.
absorb elements doesn't work. Read my posts. I guess technically it lasts until you hit someone with a melee attack, but yeah. Even then, its just resistance to one damage type which IMO isn't that good compared to everything else.
divine favor is almost strictly worse than enlarge person.
heroism doesn't give you more tHP each turn. Overall I'd prefer calm emotions.
shield technically does work according to my rules. Probably would have to rule that one out, although I suppose it isn't much worse than blur.
SoF is good. Just solid.
Zephyr strike only lasts until you make a melee attack so yeah. Not super great.
Read the OP. Silence and ZoT only target you. For this reason they suck. Also, why on earth would you pick a ritual spell? Just have the cleric cast it.

nickl_2000
2019-04-19, 04:40 PM
Heroism

A willing creature you touch is imbued with bravery. Until the spell ends, the creature is immune to being frightened and gains temporary hit points equal to your spellcasting ability modifier at the start of each of its turns. When the spell ends, the target loses any remaining temporary hit points from this spell.

So unless roll20 is wrong , you get temp hp each turn. Sure it doesn't stack, but you ate still getting am extra 3 or 4 hp each round got are hit. That is nothing to scoff at.

As for the comprehend languages, I was thinking it was concentration like the detects... Still not having to stop to cast the ritual could be a niche thing on a character. Especially one who can't cast rituals. The detects are nice in that you can have them on while concentrating on something else.

The nice thing about divine favor is that it's radiant damage and doesn't have the disadvantages of being large in small spaces. It's not perfect, but would be worth considering at least. Still not as good as hex or hunters mark.

strangebloke
2019-04-19, 06:28 PM
Heroism

A willing creature you touch is imbued with bravery. Until the spell ends, the creature is immune to being frightened and gains temporary hit points equal to your spellcasting ability modifier at the start of each of its turns. When the spell ends, the target loses any remaining temporary hit points from this spell.

So unless roll20 is wrong , you get temp hp each turn. Sure it doesn't stack, but you ate still getting am extra 3 or 4 hp each round got are hit. That is nothing to scoff at.

As for the comprehend languages, I was thinking it was concentration like the detects... Still not having to stop to cast the ritual could be a niche thing on a character. Especially one who can't cast rituals. The detects are nice in that you can have them on while concentrating on something else.

The nice thing about divine favor is that it's radiant damage and doesn't have the disadvantages of being large in small spaces. It's not perfect, but would be worth considering at least. Still not as good as hex or hunters mark.

Ah, I see that I was wrong about heroism. A worthwhile consideration! Although it doesn't scale well at all.

Angelalex242
2019-04-19, 09:23 PM
I don't think you need to rule shield out, necessarily.

It eats your reaction, and if there's other things you want you reaction for (Sentinel and Mage Slayer say hi, so does counterspell) than you'd really prefer blur.

As a typical Paladin player, I might be tempted for protection from good and evil (on oath of the ancients, say), but it's...eh. Compare blur.

Peelee
2019-04-19, 10:36 PM
I don't think you need to rule shield out, necessarily.

It eats your reaction
Only if you cast it.

The boon is a permanent, undispellable magical buff that makes it such that you're always affected
As is, it just gives a permanent +5 to AC and immunity to Magic Missile.

RSP
2019-04-19, 11:09 PM
I know you said the tHPs wouldn’t recharge but would a 2nd level casting of AoA as your boon always do 10 HPs of damage to any creature who hits you with a melee attack? That’s be a pretty cool ability to have (pun intended).

NaughtyTiger
2019-04-19, 11:14 PM
My thoughts on your thoughts.

enhance ability is good, although the temp HP does not recharge. CON is likely a bad pick anyway. If you're doing this one for STR, the question is, why not just do enlarge instead? I would go for WIS or CHA here.

don't forget dex - reduces falling damage and advantage on init and escaping grapples.

Hytheter
2019-04-19, 11:39 PM
Invisibility - now Greater Invisibility. Even if you bring in a "you become visible for X minutes after attacking," clause, combat will be the only time anyone will ever see that character again.

Finally! All the drama and coolness of being a poltergeist but without having to die first!

Definitely beats taking nine levels in monk.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-04-20, 03:59 AM
Heroism

Why will you ever want a hex/hunters mark on you?
Will you attack yourself so often in your games that you need the extra damage?

Sparky McDibben
2019-04-20, 09:20 AM
There are are some interesting RP considerations that could come out of these options:

Invisibility: Just think of the problem in "The Invisible Man." If no one can see you, do you really exist? You might consider having them roll a Wisdom save for every full day they spend invisible. Failure might lead to a Wild Magic Surge as the PC desperately tries to reasssert themselves as "real." Or you could have them roll on the Madness table in the DMG.

Alter Self: There was a great episode of "Criminal Minds" where the villain was a con man who had so many identities it triggered a psychotic break. Permanent shapechanging magic would really exacerbate this problem. When you wear a thousand faces....which is your real one? Is there even a "you" anymore, or are you a "we?"

Enlarge/Reduce: "This isn't even my FINAL FORM!!!!" 'Nuff said.

Detect Thoughts: Can you control this? Is it per the spell or touch telepathy? If the answer to either of those questions is "no," how does the PC handle being inundated with psychic "noise?" Can they tolerate being in a city? Although this would be a great way to introduce a plot to your party. Remember in Harry Potter when he could hear the basilisk but didn't realize that it was a snake? What if your party is walking in a town and this character "hears" "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!" but doesn't know who was thinking it!

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-04-20, 06:57 PM
There are are some interesting RP considerations that could come out of these options:

Invisibility: Just think of the problem in "The Invisible Man." If no one can see you, do you really exist? You might consider having them roll a Wisdom save for every full day they spend invisible. Failure might lead to a Wild Magic Surge as the PC desperately tries to reasssert themselves as "real." Or you could have them roll on the Madness table in the DMG.

Alter Self: There was a great episode of "Criminal Minds" where the villain was a con man who had so many identities it triggered a psychotic break. Permanent shapechanging magic would really exacerbate this problem. When you wear a thousand faces....which is your real one? Is there even a "you" anymore, or are you a "we?"

Enlarge/Reduce: "This isn't even my FINAL FORM!!!!" 'Nuff said.

Detect Thoughts: Can you control this? Is it per the spell or touch telepathy? If the answer to either of those questions is "no," how does the PC handle being inundated with psychic "noise?" Can they tolerate being in a city? Although this would be a great way to introduce a plot to your party. Remember in Harry Potter when he could hear the basilisk but didn't realize that it was a snake? What if your party is walking in a town and this character "hears" "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!" but doesn't know who was thinking it!

About the Alter Self, I don't see a warlock with Master of Myriad Forms having a problem.

Sparky McDibben
2019-04-20, 07:11 PM
About the Alter Self, I don't see a warlock with Master of Myriad Forms having a problem.

Nope. WotC did a great job of giving us tools in 5e, and then letting us imagine the narrative implications. It's just an effect I think is cool.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-04-21, 06:04 AM
Nope. WotC did a great job of giving us tools in 5e, and then letting us imagine the narrative implications. It's just an effect I think is cool.

I just gave a different point of view. The more you have the better.
The only thing I disagree is your claim that WotC gave us good toola in 5e. But that doesn't belong here and just an opinion.

8wGremlin
2019-04-21, 05:00 PM
Dragon’s Breath:
Choose acid, cold, fire, lightning, or poison. Until the spell ends, the creature can use an action to exhale energy of the chosen type in a 15-foot cone. Each creature in that area must make a Dexterity saving throw, taking 3d6 damage of the chosen type on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

So you can breath fire, cold etc like dragonborn, all day every day, as an action.
not great, but might be fun.