PDA

View Full Version : Look for a good Build for me (

Nosta
2019-04-18, 08:44 PM
A little about me and my Group. I prefer combat as I even as a player am not good at social Stuff, and do Better and Battle. However My Gm for 5e well they do include combat like more of a social flare and as my one friend says "the Character can't make up for what player lacks"

I am looking for a build that has good combat power (and more than just hit till it die) But as some Non-social skills that i can still be useful out battle
I am ok will any race

I just need some ideas

Melee , Range or Magic is all ok
I just want a good strong build that can Be verstile on and off the field of battle

Starting level 5 and no clue how far it could go

BarneyBent
2019-04-18, 08:54 PM
If you’re not comfortable with lots of social stuff, you could play something that supports others in their social stuff? Use buffs and stuff to support your party face and others with social checks, like the guidance cantrip.

Something that could be fun is a Ghostwise Halfling Druid. Guidance cantrip, and can communicate telepathically with the party even when in wild shape form. Use inconspicuous wildshape forms to scout out situations, make insight and perception checks and report findings to party members without anybody realising.

Tons of social utility without any need to be actually social!

Zhorn
2019-04-18, 09:12 PM
My personal favourite is always Eldritch Knight Fighters, as spell casting on top of a fighter chassis is a neat way to boost utility both in and out of battle, with a spell-casting feat to add that little extra flavor option.
Either Ritual Caster to open up your spell book options a bit so the utility spell needn't eat into your spells known for combat stuff, or Magic Initiate for a few extra cantrips and one long-term spell like Find Familiar.
Mage Hand, Message, Light, Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation and Friends are all fine picks that can offer creative versatility is many situations.

Nosta
2019-04-18, 09:17 PM
My personal favourite is always Eldritch Knight Fighters, as spell casting on top of a fighter chassis is a neat way to boost utility both in and out of battle, with a spell-casting feat to add that little extra flavor option.
Either Ritual Caster to open up your spell book options a bit so the utility spell needn't eat into your spells known for combat stuff, or Magic Initiate for a few extra cantrips and one long-term spell like Find Familiar.
Mage Hand, Message, Light, Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation and Friends are all fine picks that can offer creative versatility is many situations.

Range or Melee?

Zhorn
2019-04-18, 09:30 PM
Range or Melee?

Either works, Str gives to better melee presence in the long run, but Dex is a good all rounder from early on letting you go either range or melee, cheaper path to a decent AC with leather armor, used in more skills, multi class with rogue for added damage, survivability, skill monkeying (Arcane Trickster fits the utility model well, but overall I still favour pure builds over multiclassing).

Dex + Int build, leaves a lot of options open to change things up to fit the direction of the game in case the campaign changes tone/theme/style. note: This is more about versatility over optimization.

Rukelnikov
2019-04-18, 09:37 PM
You could be a ranger or scout, be your party's eyes, move stealthily, get your party from point A to point B, while also dealing good damage. If that appeals to you, there are a couple build to be made there.

Nosta
2019-04-18, 09:38 PM
Either works, Str gives to better melee presence in the long run, but Dex is a good all rounder from early on letting you go either range or melee, cheaper path to a decent AC with leather armor, used in more skills, multi class with rogue for added damage, survivability, skill monkeying (Arcane Trickster fits the utility model well, but overall I still favour pure builds over multiclassing).

Dex + Int build, leaves a lot of options open to change things up to fit the direction of the game in case the campaign changes tone/theme/style. note: This is more about versatility over optimization.

Race:???
Thinking Range

Nosta
2019-04-18, 09:40 PM
You could be a ranger or scout, be your party's eyes, move stealthily, get your party from point A to point B, while also dealing good damage. If that appeals to you, there are a couple build to be made there.

Ranger Dose sound Fun as I Do have an Elf Archer oc

Whats a good build for such?

Zhorn
2019-04-18, 09:52 PM
Race:???
Thinking Range

I'd rather pick race+background for story reasons over build optimizing, but if you was something that will pair well:
Varriant Human (Extra feat), High Elft (cantrip, darkvision), Halfling (lucky, nimble, brave), Forest Gnome (darkvision, cantrip, saving throws), plus they all have the stats that align with the suggested build.

Nosta
2019-04-18, 09:59 PM
I'd rather pick race+background for story reasons over build optimizing, but if you was something that will pair well:
Varriant Human (Extra feat), High Elft (cantrip, darkvision), Halfling (lucky, nimble, brave), Forest Gnome (darkvision, cantrip, saving throws), plus they all have the stats that align with the suggested build.

well I do want to build for story i would like it if somethings line up
so i am more effective lol

But I think Human

care to Recommend my Feat for Human
and my 4th level Asi/Feat?

Zhorn
2019-04-18, 10:16 PM
care to Recommend my Feat for Human
and my 4th level Asi/Feat?

If going ranged, then I'd favor Ritual Caster over Magic Initiate. Magic initiate's a good way to get booming blade and/or Green-Flade Blade without sacrificing on utility cantrips, but if you're going to be at range with a bow, then you needn't worry about that. Ritual Caster, with Find Familiar (Owl for Flyby) and either Detect Magic or Identify (avoid overlap if another player has either). The second feat (lvel 4 ASI) I'd suggest doing something less spell-castery and more in line with how YOU want to play your character, or just take the +2 stats. If you do want to go for the other Spell Caster feat for additional cantrips and a once per day spell, Warlock has a few of the utility cantrips and Hex pairs well with when you want to go ham on an enemy with the amount of attacks fighter can do. Concentration can be drawback, but being at range you can rely on it being up for a bit longer than in melee (and if your DM lets you cast it without being noticed, hexing an npc in a social event is a good way to tie up a silver tongued opponent or make them a bit less perceptive when you're wanting to pull a fast one on them).

Rukelnikov
2019-04-18, 10:38 PM
Ranger Dose sound Fun as I Do have an Elf Archer oc

Whats a good build for such?

Well, was gonna go for a Wood Elf archer with Observant, but you already have one, so for something different maybe:

Vhuman Ranger5(GloomStalker)

18(15+1+2)
16(14+1+1)

Skills: Perception, Stealth, Survival, Nature, ??, ??
ASIs: Observant, +2 Dex

Spells:
1st- Hunters Mark, Goodberry
2nd- Pass Without Trace, ?? (Healing Spirit maybe for out of combat?)

You could go S&B with dueling style:

Rapier: Att +7, Damage 1d8+6
AC 18

You could go for dual weilding scimitars alla Drizzt if that's your fancy, it is mechanically inferior, but not prohibitively so, only problem will be first round you won't be able to do second attack if you wanna set up Hunter's Mark.

Notice that since you are Dex based, and haven't gotten any combat feats yet, you are pretty good with a bow if necessary.

From here there's a couple things you can do, get a 2 Fighter levels for action surge giving you an even stronger first round, get 2 more levels of Ranger for proficiency in Wis saves, get 2 lvls of rogue for expertise in 2 skills (Perception and Stealth) and Cunning Action.

2D8HP
2019-04-18, 10:47 PM
Wood Elf Fighter2/Rogue3(Scout)

For stats standard array plus ASI and racial adjustments yields:

STR: 12

DEX: 18

CON: 14

INT: 10

WIS: 14

CHA: 8

Skills: Perception (Expertise), Stealth (Expertise), Nature (Survivalist), Survival (Survivalist), Athletics, Insight, and Investigation - that's right four skills with boosts!

Tool Proficiencues: Thieves tools and Woodcarvers tools (so you may make your own arrows) - plus one other tool proficiency or language

Background Feature: Wanderer

Fighting Style: Archery

Nosta
2019-04-18, 11:29 PM
Wood Elf Fighter2/Rogue3(Scout)

For stats standard array plus ASI and racial adjustments yields:

STR: 12

DEX: 18

CON: 14

INT: 10

WIS: 14

CHA: 8

Skills: Perception (Expertise), Stealth (Expertise), Nature (Survivalist), Survival (Survivalist), Athletics, Insight, and Investigation - that's right four skills with boosts!

Tool Proficiencues: Thieves tools and Woodcarvers tools (so you may make your own arrows) - plus one other tool proficiency or language

Background Feature: Wanderer

Fighting Style: Archery

what would be a good way to progress this say for 5 to 6 levels?

2D8HP
2019-04-18, 11:47 PM
what would be a good way to progress this say for 5 to 6 levels?

Both Fighter to level 11 ( for two Extra Attacks) and then more Rogue levels, or Rogue to level 9 (for Superior Mobility) and then Fighter levels, are good - it depends on whether you're shooting arrows or running away more, an advantage of Fighter first is the more hit points you'll get, an advantage of Rogue is more Sneak Attack damage.

If you have a comrade that often gets within 5 feet of the foes, then that makes doing more sneak attack damage more enticing, but if opportunities to Sneak Attack are seldom then Fighter levels seem better.

As to which type of Fighter sub-classes I really don't have advice, I go Champion because I like the simplicity, and the Rogue levels already give me enough to keep track of, plus I don't like having to plan for naps a lot.

Zhorn
2019-04-19, 01:14 AM
As to which type of Fighter sub-classes I really don't have advice, I go Champion because I like the simplicity, and the Rogue levels already give me enough to keep track of, plus I don't like having to plan for naps a lot.

I'll agree with that, if you're doing a fighter multiclass with anything else that's more than a dip, keep it simple and go champion. It's bare bones basic, but it's a subclass that'll work with pretty much any martial build.

Unoriginal
2019-04-19, 02:34 AM
as my one friend says "the Character can't make up for what player lacks"

So, no one is allowed to be proficient in Sleight of Hand unless they can steal someone's wallet? No one can take healing spells because players don't have those?

Corran
2019-04-19, 06:42 AM
A little about me and my Group. I prefer combat as I even as a player am not good at social Stuff, and do Better and Battle. However My Gm for 5e well they do include combat like more of a social flare and as my one friend says "the Character can't make up for what player lacks"

I am looking for a build that has good combat power (and more than just hit till it die) But as some Non-social skills that i can still be useful out battle
I am ok will any race

I just need some ideas

Melee , Range or Magic is all ok
I just want a good strong build that can Be verstile on and off the field of battle

Starting level 5 and no clue how far it could go
Play a low charisma rogue. Plenty of stuff to do outside of combat. Your group wants to spy on someone? They sent you. They/you want to steal something? Done. Heck, pick expertise in intimidation too, so you can do the threatening as well, no need to be the most social person to be good at threats and insults. That means that your character has their place in social encounters too. You are essentially the backup option.

Rukelnikov
2019-04-19, 01:47 PM
So, no one is allowed to be proficient in Sleight of Hand unless they can steal someone's wallet? No one can take healing spells because players don't have those?

If your PC has charisma 20 but the player is very shy and doesn't like to talk to people, or trying to convince them, unless the DM skips conversations alltogether, inclusding those with important NPCs, the player may not even try.

If the PC has Int 20, but the player doesn't, he's not gonna come up with many outside the box solutions for problems unless the DM hints/tells the player one.