PDA

View Full Version : Question on attack sequence

Hunterx
2019-04-19, 09:10 AM
I am still working on my replacement char and I first thought about a bad touch cleric that with the spontaneous domain casting ACF to get destruction domain spells while still having healing spells. This however will give us 3 divine casters with 2 of them being druids. So I though and though on this and came up with something I have always wanted to play and never had the chance a thrower build. So here is the build first off and than the question

Strongheart halfling
Classes: Rogue 3 Swashbuckler 3 Master Thrower 5
Dex stat 22 (+6)+1 from size +1 for halfling throw weapons
Feats:
Lv1 Point Blank Shot
Lv1 Bonus feat; Precise Shot
Lv3 Weapon Focus Kukari
Lv6 Rapid Shot
Lv9 Darling Outlaw
Bonus Feat Snatch arrows
Bonus Feat Quick Draw
Bonus Feat Improved critical kukari

This is the build as of now but I plan on getting the gloves of the balanced hand to get two weapon fighting.

So the question is this what is the attack sequence for this guy with the two weapon fighting using palm throw trick

I think it is as follows
Base attack 10 +6 +1 +1 =18
so full attack would be I think
+14+14+14+14 main +14+14 off hand +9+9 second attack

Is this correct or am I missing something ? and if I add in haste some how it would be
+14+14+14+14+14+14main +14+14 off +9+9 second attack

PS: is there away for me to get all these attacks without carrying around a crap load of kukuries

Telonius
2019-04-19, 10:02 AM
I am still working on my replacement char and I first thought about a bad touch cleric that with the spontaneous domain casting ACF to get destruction domain spells while still having healing spells. This however will give us 3 divine casters with 2 of them being druids. So I though and though on this and came up with something I have always wanted to play and never had the chance a thrower build. So here is the build first off and than the question

Strongheart halfling
Classes: Rogue 3 Swashbuckler 3 Master Thrower 5
Dex stat 22 (+6)+1 from size +1 for halfling throw weapons
Feats:
Lv1 Point Blank Shot
Lv1 Bonus feat; Precise Shot
Lv3 Weapon Focus Kukari
Lv6 Rapid Shot
Lv9 Darling Outlaw
Bonus Feat Snatch arrows
Bonus Feat Quick Draw
Bonus Feat Improved critical kukari

This is the build as of now but I plan on getting the gloves of the balanced hand to get two weapon fighting.

So the question is this what is the attack sequence for this guy with the two weapon fighting using palm throw trick

I think it is as follows
Base attack 10 +6 +1 +1 =18
so full attack would be I think
+14+14+14+14 main +14+14 off hand +9+9 second attack

Is this correct or am I missing something ? and if I add in haste some how it would be
+14+14+14+14+14+14main +14+14 off +9+9 second attack

PS: is there away for me to get all these attacks without carrying around a crap load of kukuries

A couple of things about the attack number. First, TWF gives you -2/-2 to light weapons. Second, Kukris are not designed for throwing (no range increment on the weapon description), so you'd take a -4 penalty to it as well. (The "Throw Anything" feat from Complete Warrior will get rid of this). Rapid Shot (if you decide to use it) gives you an extra attack at range, but gives you another -2 to everything. So you're starting out at +10, not +14. (EDIT): Also, bear in mind that as a weapon not designed for throwing, the Range Increment of a Kukri is only 10 feet. You take a -2 for each full range increment of distance you are from the target. Point Blank Shot and Far Shot can help with this; but it can get really nasty, really quickly if you don't watch out for the increment. Maximum thrown distance is 5 range increments (50 feet without further modifications), which would give you a -10 to hit.

If you didn't have any of the Master Thrower abilities, and just using Rapid Shot, you'd be throwing at +12/+12/+7, assuming none of them were magical or masterwork, you're not getting Point Blank, and all that stuff. Two-Weapon Fighting gives you 10/10/10/5. (10/10/5 for the main hand, and 10 for the offhand). Palm Throw means you're getting two attacks for each one, so it would be 10/10/10/10/10/10/5/5. (10/10/10/10/5/5 for the main hand and 10/10 for the offhand). (I'm assuming the DM has ruled that a kukri counts as a tiny weapon; I'd think it's reasonable to rule that).

Haste interacts kind of strangely with thrown weapons. The usual shorthand of what the spell does, is that you get an extra attack at your highest BAB. But the text of the spell actually reads:

When making a full attack action, a hasted creature may make one extra attack with any weapon he is holding.

After you've thrown the kukri, you can't actually make another attack with it. With any luck it's sticking in the target, or it's on the ground somewhere; either way you're no longer holding it. So a strict reading of the spell means it wouldn't be helpful for a character using only thrown weapons. Totally unofficial answer here, but I'd handwave that as a DM; thrown weapons are a really, really edge case and I don't think they were considering it at all when they wrote the spell. In this case I'd allow it to give you a single extra attack at +10.

Hunterx
2019-04-19, 01:38 PM
A couple of things about the attack number. First, TWF gives you -2/-2 to light weapons. Second, Kukris are not designed for throwing (no range increment on the weapon description), so you'd take a -4 penalty to it as well. (The "Throw Anything" feat from Complete Warrior will get rid of this). Rapid Shot (if you decide to use it) gives you an extra attack at range, but gives you another -2 to everything. So you're starting out at +10, not +14. (EDIT): Also, bear in mind that as a weapon not designed for throwing, the Range Increment of a Kukri is only 10 feet. You take a -2 for each full range increment of distance you are from the target. Point Blank Shot and Far Shot can help with this; but it can get really nasty, really quickly if you don't watch out for the increment. Maximum thrown distance is 5 range increments (50 feet without further modifications), which would give you a -10 to hit.

If you didn't have any of the Master Thrower abilities, and just using Rapid Shot, you'd be throwing at +12/+12/+7, assuming none of them were magical or masterwork, you're not getting Point Blank, and all that stuff. Two-Weapon Fighting gives you 10/10/10/5. (10/10/5 for the main hand, and 10 for the offhand). Palm Throw means you're getting two attacks for each one, so it would be 10/10/10/10/10/10/5/5. (10/10/10/10/5/5 for the main hand and 10/10 for the offhand). (I'm assuming the DM has ruled that a kukri counts as a tiny weapon; I'd think it's reasonable to rule that).

Haste interacts kind of strangely with thrown weapons. The usual shorthand of what the spell does, is that you get an extra attack at your highest BAB. But the text of the spell actually reads:

After you've thrown the kukri, you can't actually make another attack with it. With any luck it's sticking in the target, or it's on the ground somewhere; either way you're no longer holding it. So a strict reading of the spell means it wouldn't be helpful for a character using only thrown weapons. Totally unofficial answer here, but I'd handwave that as a DM; thrown weapons are a really, really edge case and I don't think they were considering it at all when they wrote the spell. In this case I'd allow it to give you a single extra attack at +10.

Ok so kuk is maybe off the table, might have to go daggers ugggg yuk

Hunterx
2019-04-19, 06:18 PM
So with your points I went in a different direction with this the same basic idea of it being a thrower.

Goliath
Barbarian 1 Ranger 2 Fighter 2 Master thrower
Stats Str24 Dex 15 Con 20 int 16 Wis 15 Cha 14

Feats: point blank shot, precision shot, weapon focus dagger
Power attack Brutal throw Power throw Rapid shot

From Master thrower: quick draw snatch arrow improved critical dagger.

Two weapon fighting: gloves of balanced hand

Throw trick
Weak shot, Palm throw X

So this shoul be
Base+10 +7 str +1 focus +1 point blank shot (30 feet) total +19

So full attack Should be with palm throw and no magic or master work weapons
+15+15+9+9
Rapid shot +15+15
Two weapon fighting +15+15
For +15+15+15+15+15+15+9+9
If I add haste and make a full attack to should be
+13+13+13+13+13+13+13+13+9+9+9+9

Now I think this is all correct if it is not should be close now with power throw being able to take off as high as 10 to add to damage this could be 120 points of damage +1D6x12 for a max of 72 for 192.

Looks right to me how close or am I correct on this build.

Mike Miller
2019-04-19, 07:56 PM
Palm throw is two thrown weapons with one attack roll.

Hunterx
2019-04-19, 08:49 PM
[QUOTE=Mike Miller;23856884]Palm throw is two thrown weapons with one attack roll.[/QUOTE

You are correct it is the damage that is resolved separate.