PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Maenads (PEACH)

sandmote
2019-04-19, 10:30 PM
This page on the Homebrewery. (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SJXlTG-uqV)

Maenad
Coastal sea dwellers, maenads are often considered emotionless and stalwart. This perception is wrong however; maenads have powerful emotions, and so train to control themselves whenever possible. In this manner, they see themselves in the ever-changing sea. Believed to originate from a human nation from a now flooded land, these physically imposing and naturally psionic peoples are covered in small crystals.

Maenad Traits
Ability Score Increase
Your Constitution score Increases by 2 and your Wisdom score increases by 1.

Wisdom as a bonus toward being battleminds. Would a Str bonus work better than a Con bonus for that?

Maenads age similar to humans, although they tend to reach old age slightly sooner.

Alignment
Training to keep their strong emotions in check often leads meanads toward lawful alignments, but there is otherwise little in common among them.

Size
Maenads are slightly taller and stockier than humans. Your size is Medium.

Speed
Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

Warscream
You know the Energy Beam Ray talent. Unless you learn the talent from another source, your Energy BeamRay only deals thunder damage. Wisdom is your psionic ability for this talent.

Outburst
Starting at 3rd level, a maenad can unleash their inner madness. When you do so, other creatures within 10 feet of you that can hear you must each succeed on a Constitution saving throw (DC 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Constitution modifier) or become deafened until the end of your next turn. When deafened in this way, they are unable to cast spells or manifest powers.

This ability lasts for 1 minute or until you end it as a bonus action. During it, once on each of your turns, you can deal extra psychic damage to one target when you deal damage to it with an attack or a spell. The extra psychic damage equals your level.

Once you use this trait, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.

Based on the aasimar transformation. As deafening doesn't really do much in 5e, I figured it would a good idea to stack an additional effect on that.

Languages
You can speak, read, and write Common and Maenad.

Trained Control
You have advantage on saving throws against being frightened or charmed.

Maenad Feats
Crystalline Shield
Prerequisite: Maenad

Among Maenads, you have particularly dense crystals covering your skin, reinforcing your defenses and unleashing light in certain circumstances. You gain the following benefits.

You gain resistance to Acid damage.
You learn the Beacon talent
You learn the Brilliant Creation Discipline, and can gain it's psychic focus.
You can manifest the Repulsing Beam power without needing to spend psi points. You regain this ability at the end of a long rest.

Wisdom is your psionic ability for the talent and powers you gain from this feat.

Deafening Shriek
Prerequisite: Maenad

Your psionic warscream is powerful, even among other Maenads. You can empower your warscream. When you do so, creatures in a 30 foot cone must make a Constitution saving throw against a save DC of 8 + your proficiency modifier + your Wisdom modifier. On a failed save they take damage equal to your regular warscream. On a success, they take half as much damage. You can use this ability once, and regain it at the end of a long rest.

Additionally, when you use your outburst ability, you can choose a number of creatures up to your proficiency bonus to automatically succeed on the initial saving throw.

A pair or racial feats for maenads, based on each of their main characteristics.

Energy Beam
Psionic Talent

As an action, you target one creature you can see within 90 feet of you. The target must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 1d8 acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder damage (your choice). The talent’s damage increases by 1d8 when you reach 5th level (2d8), 11th level (3d8), and 17th level (4d8).

Beacon
Psionic Talent

As a bonus action, you cause bright light to radiate from your body in a 20-foot radius and dim light for an additional 20 feet. The light can be colored as you like. The light lasts for 1 hour, and you can extinguish it earlier as a bonus action.

Brilliant Creation
Shaper Discipline

Psychic Focus. While focused on this discipline, you can use your bonus action to create a pair of torch-sized lights within 120 feet, making them appear as torches, lanterns, or glowing orbs that hover in the air for the duration. Whichever form you choose, each light sheds dim light in a 10- foot radius.

Repulsing Beam (3 psi). As an action, you unleash a beam of repulsing light. One creature within 20 feet of you must make a Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, that creature takes 3d6 radiant damage and is pushed 10 feet away from you. On a sucessful save, that creature takes half as much damage and isn't pushed.

JNAProductions
2019-04-20, 08:43 PM
Explain what Energy Ray does. I assume it's similar to a Cantrip?

Strength saving throw is odd choice. Con would make more sense.
Also on that ability, it NEEDS to allow a new saving throw at the end of each of their turns. One failed save shutting down casting for an entire minute is far too good.

No comment on feats, yet.

sandmote
2019-04-27, 07:34 PM
Explain what Energy Ray does. I assume it's similar to a Cantrip?

Yes, it'ts a cantrip dealing 1d8 on a failed dex save.

Strength saving throw is odd choice. Con would make more sense.
Sure, I'll change that.

Also on that ability, it NEEDS to allow a new saving throw at the end of each of their turns. One failed save shutting down casting for an entire minute is far too good.
It is meant to shut down casting until the end of your next round. An suggestion for clearing up the language?

No comment on feats, yet.
Well, thank you for responding about the race. Sorry for taking so long to reply.

JNAProductions
2019-04-27, 07:35 PM
It used to say for a minute, on the deafness, didn't it?

I coulda sworn it did.

As-is, lasting one round is fine.

sandmote
2019-04-27, 07:38 PM
It used to say for a minute, on the deafness, didn't it?

I coulda sworn it did.
I don't recall changing it, but I was fairly burnt out when I posted this. I'm not 100% sure either way.

As-is, lasting one round is fine.
Okay, glad to hear the mechanic I intended isn't blatantly broken.