PDA

View Full Version : A goblin, of sorts

Driderman
2007-10-02, 07:00 PM
I'm thinking of building a setting and have decided to modify goblins somewhat since they will possibly play a major role.

The gist of it is that instead of being lurking bags of xp for low-level adventurers my goblins are a thriving race that originated in the cold northern lands, growing from a tribal culture into many petty kingdoms and eventually, an empire.
Although still of a somewhat evil-ish persuasion, these goblins aren't petty thieves or sneaks in the night, although they still can do these things very well.
They control a large portion of the trade in metal and ores, their kingdoms lying in the mountainous northern regions, and many are cunning traders or skilled craftsmen. They share a kinship with the numerous wild orcs populating the mountains and plains of the north, and also probably common origins, many orcs serving in the armies of the Goblins kingdoms as common labourers, slaves and even soldiers.

I modified the stats for a goblin a bit, among other things making them medium size, although still of slighter build and smaller stature than humans. Also, they're green, as goblins should be :D

This is what the stats look like:

-2 Str
+2 Dex
Medium size
Darkvision 60ft
Speed: 30
+2 Move Silently
+2 Hide
Favoured class: Rogue
LA: +0

I'd like to hear your comments about the stats, and anything else really. I'm thinking someone might say something clever that inspires me

Oh yeah: The setting is a large continent of isolated smaller kingdoms and city states, mainly. A long time ago, the Gods got involved in a war that grew so large that it engulfed the entire continent and in the end, destroyed the gods and many of the large illustrious kingdoms and empires. Now, some hundred years after, most settlements are small and isolated partly due to other troubles arising after the death of the gods and partly due to the fact that they've been busy trying to survive in a new, strange world where kingdoms have crumbled and whatever infrastructure that once existed has long decayed.

Also: No halflings, no gnomes. Elves and dwarves are myths, but possibly real, I like my elves nice and isolationistic, with a fervent dislike towards humans but no particular bias against dwarves seeing as they rarely occupy the same spheres of interest

tahu88810
2007-10-02, 07:08 PM
The goblins originated in the cold north, right?

So maybe something reflecting that? Maybe they get a +2 to save against (natural) cold damage?

its really good. :)

Driderman
2007-10-02, 08:08 PM
I had thought of it, but it's only the 'cold' north, not the frozen north :)
Still, the idea has some merit...

Dullyanna
2007-10-02, 08:33 PM
These buggers look rather cunning when it comes to trading. Maybe you should give 'em a little bonus to skills related to that (i.e. appraisal, bluff, and/or diplomacy).

Collin152
2007-10-02, 08:47 PM
I had thought of it, but it's only the 'cold' north, not the frozen north :)
Still, the idea has some merit...

+2 to fortitude saves and survival checks relating to cold enviroments?

The Neoclassic
2007-10-02, 10:25 PM
They sound cool (no pun intended). The idea of properly green-skinned goblins in furry parkas is very amusing and almost cute. OK, I know you said just cold north, not frozen, but random thoughts aren't always rational... Yeah, give them a +2 to Fort saves against natural cold hazards and they're all balanced and stuff. Good work; I like goblins.