PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Building an Neutral/Evil Bard

Mercurias
2019-04-20, 01:21 PM
So I'm in the beginning stages of a new campaign with a lot of intrigue and empire-building attached. I've been told there WILL be combat and dungeoning, but that it will be split at least evenly with the intrigue and spy stuff.

We currently have a V. Human Paladin aiming for Conquest, a High Elf Rogue aiming for Arcane Trickster, a V. Human Tempest Cleric, and a Feral Tiefling Divination Wizard.

As the Bard, I would be roleplaying as a minor member of the Paladin's house who acts as his herald/ambassador while angling for a way to climb up to a higher noble status. In terms of gameplay, I'd like to run as a back-line support character with emphasis on social interaction and stealth.

I was aiming to play a Half-Elf because there are already two V. Humans in the party, one of them being the Paladin. I would prefer to single-class this character if possible.

The DM says he plans on going to 20, but I suspect 12-15 is more likely in practice.

I was wondering:
1) Should I focus more on Dex or Con in the long haul?
2) What Feats/Skills I should look out for?
3) What spells you would recommend?
4) Are there any magic items I should look out for or talk to the DM about?
5) Should I stick with a Rapier or use a different weapon?
6) Would you personally stay with the Lore Bard or would you pick a different College?

Sparky McDibben
2019-04-20, 01:57 PM
5) Whip would be subpar damage but great thematically.

6) Have you looked at whisper bard?

stoutstien
2019-04-20, 02:02 PM
Whisper can have a nice Rasputin feel to it.
Word of terror combined with conquest pally could be insane the one time you can pull it off.

Sparky McDibben
2019-04-20, 02:03 PM
1) I assume this is your secondary stat? It depends on your playstyle. If you plan to use your action to deal weapon damage, pump Dex for AC and Initiative. If you plan on spellcasting as your action use, pump Con for concentration.

Angelalex242
2019-04-20, 02:26 PM
Start with 17 Charisma as a half elf.

Take Actor as your first feat to hit 18 charisma.

Then go to 20 Charisma.

To get best use of actor, make sure you have expertise in skills like deception.

Enjoy lying your ass off :)

diplomancer
2019-04-20, 02:50 PM
Consider a Yuan-Ti, great race for an evil intrigue bard. Enjoy the poison immunity.

Actor feat is solid and you can also start with 17 Cha as a Yuan-Ti.

If you really dont want to multiclass for dip for armor, consider the Medium Armor feat, its better than improving your Dex for AC.

Find ways to improve your concentration, either with Resilient (con) or warcaster

sophontteks
2019-04-20, 03:46 PM
All the bard archtypes are fantastic. Debate over which is best basically amounts to a three-way tie between Lore, Glamour, and Valor. The other two aren't far behind.

Lore is the best caster, Glamour is the best at control and social roles, Valor is the most resilient.

Due to the campaign being run, whispers and glamour will be better then usual, and I strongly recommend you try them. Both of them have very fun, unique, and powerful abilities that will be invaluable in intrigue / empire-building. Of them, whispers fits that you want perfectly, even if glamour may be better on paper. Any time you talk to someone, you can make them fear you. any time your party kills someone, you can take their identity.

Shadow bard= Faceless men