PDA

View Full Version : Adventurer (5e class)

HamsterKun
2019-04-20, 02:37 PM
I want your advice on this class I made for 5e. The idea is to have a “true” jack of all trades, moreso than the Bard.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-fdADCWEVNYjk0RpFDwkAnxm9vjymy9Nu0yN-dFxczw

JNAProductions
2019-04-20, 02:39 PM
Nothing jumped out as broken at first glance (though altogether it might be) until the capstone.

+8 proficiency is INSANE.

Potato_Priest
2019-04-20, 02:50 PM
I'd say you've definitely succeeded at creating a real jack of all trades. While at first it looks a little on the powerful side just due to all the stuff it gets, I think this is pretty neatly counterbalanced by not having subclasses (preventing the adventurer from specializing).

Also, I wouldn't worry about the capstone. If JNA hates it, that means it's a good capstone in my book (there's nothing worse than a lame level 20 ability, and it's not like classes are remotely balanced at 20 anyways). My critique of this capstone would actually be that it's boring, rather than that it's too good.

Comparing +2 to proficiency bonus to the Barbarian's capstone, we get:

Barbarian gets +2 to:
Attack rolls
Damage rolls
Strength and Constitution Saving Throws
Barbarian's best skills
Hit Points (per level)
Armor Class

Adventurer gets +2 to:
Attack Rolls
All Saving Throws
More Skills
Spell Save DC
Expertise Skills get extra +2

(exceptionally noticeable differences are underlined)

This really doesn't seem that out of line, unless I'm forgetting something.

Crisis21
2019-04-20, 02:51 PM
Nothing jumped out as broken at first glance (though altogether it might be) until the capstone.

+8 proficiency is INSANE.

Agreed. I might even go so far as to say that granting the class Proficiency in all Skills wouldn't be as broken.

HamsterKun
2019-04-20, 03:41 PM
Come to think of it, I wonder how well the Adventurer multiclasses with the other PHB classes.