PDA

View Full Version : What to call heavenly beings

stewstew5
2019-04-21, 12:54 AM
Generally, you could fit all creatures of hell into the blanket term "fiend". What, that is not clestial or angel, could you use to similarly describe the creatures of heaven?

EccentricCircle
2019-04-21, 02:13 AM
"Sir" is I believe the preferred appellation.
More seriously I think its "Celestial" usually .

Khedrac
2019-04-21, 02:14 AM
Generally, you could fit all creatures of hell into the blanket term "fiend". What, that is not clestial or angel, could you use to similarly describe the creatures of heaven?

Fiend might acutally be a bit broad a term for creatures of extraplanar evil - demon/devil/daemon are probably better terms.

However, that is not what you are asking, you want terms for creatures of extraplanar good. My first thought is "go and find a thesuarus and look up 'angel' or 'celestial', but failing that:

deva
holy
seraph
exarch

Frozen_Feet
2019-04-21, 03:01 AM
Easy, you call them heavenly beings.

Or, wait, is there a singular word for that?

Yes, there is! It is "celestial", which comes from Latin "caelestis", meaning "heavenly", which in turn comes from "caelum", meaning sky or heaven.

Why are you reinventing the wheel again?

DrKerosene
2019-04-21, 03:22 AM
My initial thought is also “Celestial”.

If you’re speaking to one, perhaps “Your Brightness”, or “Your Resplendance” or something like that.

Millstone85
2019-04-21, 04:47 AM
For a honorific, I think "your Grace" would be most appropriate.

Spore
2019-04-21, 04:51 AM
Easy, you call them heavenly beings.

Or, wait, is there a singular word for that?

Yes, there is! It is "celestial", which comes from Latin "caelestis", meaning "heavenly", which in turn comes from "caelum", meaning sky or heaven.

Why are you reinventing the wheel again?

Exactly this. In cultures where benevolent guardian creatures are not "up" but "around" us they are generally attributed to the aether around you, some kind of proto-scientific understanding of what air is.

But using "ethereal" as a rules word makes D&D wording needlessly unexact unless your fantasy cosmology works exactly like that.

Anublet90
2019-04-21, 05:58 PM
You know, while I agree that "celestial" is the most obvious response, I don't think there's a more appropriate situation to use "your highness" than when speaking to an authority figure that literally descended from the heavens.

Tectorman
2019-04-21, 08:57 PM
What about referring to them as "Ascendants" or "Ascended"? Though I do, along with other posters above, wonder why "Celestial" wouldn't work?

Faily
2019-04-21, 09:46 PM
I second (third? fourth? fifth...?) that Celestial is an acceptable term for any heavenly being.

Depending on the setting, there could be other names too that could fit. In a game I'm currently playing (tribal Rokugan at the dawn of the Empire, when the Kami are still new to the land), they're called names such as Sun Children (being children of Sun and Moon), Great Spirits, Divine Ones, Sky People, Star People, etc... a setting's culture and experience with celestial beings could greatly matter to what they call them and relate to them. Do they only appear to bring news, messages, or commands? Then they could be called Heralds. Are they guides to humankind? Maybe they're then called Shepards or Guides.

stewstew5
2019-04-22, 01:41 AM
What about referring to them as "Ascendants" or "Ascended"? Though I do, along with other posters above, wonder why "Celestial" wouldn't work?

because WotC have lawyers and a lot of money and I do not and that frightens me

RedWarlock
2019-04-22, 01:58 AM
Three things:

A. WotC didn't coin the term "celestial", nor do they hold a copyright on it. You can use it without fear of retribution.
B. D&D didn't invent the terms, but the idea of having whole disparate groups of demons distinct from devils vs other "fiendish" creatures, and the same with angels vs archons vs other "celestial" critters, IS something they invented.
C. Your initial context feels very D&D-derived (see B), what are you trying to do exactly? Clarifying your use would help us understand your goal in terminology.

Spore
2019-04-22, 02:53 AM

According to this (https://www.etymonline.com/word/celestial) the word is referenced the earliest in late 14th century, and you can BET a big amount of Christian texts reference that word in the timespan between then and now. So no, you cannot be sued for that.

If you aim for something commercially done and the center piece of your work is divine beings, I can see inventing a new word, even if just to appear on page on of google searches (a friend of mine's whole job was do ensure her company is on page 1 of google for certain search terms, so it is kind of important).

Frozen_Feet
2019-04-22, 07:47 AM

"Celestial" is a common-use word and cannot be copyrighted. Same goes for "fiend", "demon", "devil", "angel" etc.. Furthermore, ruleswise all of these are available under Open Gaming Licence via d20 System Reference Document.

Cicciograna
2019-04-22, 07:49 AM
If you want to avoid the word "celestials", call them "empyreans", or maybe "enlighteneds", or even "olympians", even though there's no Olympus.

jintoya
2019-04-22, 04:12 PM

"Nice wingy people" stands out to me as a good pick, "godlets"?

What is the plane they live on?
If it's heaven: angels
If it's Celestia: celestials
If it's custom: anything you want

Spore
2019-04-23, 02:36 AM
If it's custom: anything you want

I wanted to make a custodians joke but Custodes works fine. It means guardians but you have a LOT of Warhammer 40k lore barreling down your throat.

Malphegor
2019-04-23, 03:07 AM
Godbothered, is what I call them, as opposed to mortal worshippers, who are Godbotherers. One bothers the God or Gods with stuff, the other gets bothered BY God or Gods to do stuff.

But then I'm pretty dismissive and/or jokey of any religious experience or faith-related entity in any setting with most characters I play.

Other terms for various heavenly beings:
Halo Fans
The Lightbringer Parade
Lightknights
Virtuosos
Holy Birdmen: Agents at Lawful Good
The Barechested Goody Two Shoes
ARGH! CAN YOU TURN DOWN THE BRIGHTNESS LEVELS

jintoya
2019-04-23, 11:40 AM
Godbothered, is what I call them, as opposed to mortal worshippers, who are Godbotherers. One bothers the God or Gods with stuff, the other gets bothered BY God or Gods to do stuff.

But then I'm pretty dismissive and/or jokey of any religious experience or faith-related entity in any setting with most characters I play.

Other terms for various heavenly beings:
Halo Fans
The Lightbringer Parade
Lightknights
Virtuosos
Holy Birdmen: Agents at Lawful Good
The Barechested Goody Two Shoes
ARGH! CAN YOU TURN DOWN THE BRIGHTNESS LEVELS

Halo Fans just promoted a loud "HA!" That got the attention of my boss.

But that aside, they do tend to be very "I'm the best" and "things I say are always right!"
Both in and out of the biblical understanding of Devine beings, something they share with fans of the game Halo, so it fits. (Not all, just most obviously)

Kami2awa
2019-04-23, 12:13 PM
Celestial is also used by Steve Jackson games in In Nomine as a synonym for angel (and covers a few lesser beings that aren't technically angels but are similar). There really is no legal ownership of the word.

Copyright is far less protective than you'd think. There is actually little protection of fictional ideas. Copyright typically protects a specific work of fiction and excerpts taken directly from it, but not the actual plot or the artist's ideas. Patents protect ideas, but not generally fictional ones (an invention must be scientifically plausible, so no teleporters or time machines), and the inventor must register the patent with a government. Trademarks protect particular symbols and names, but again not ideas, and must again be specifically registered. It is usually not possible to trademark common dictionary words, so "celestial" would be hard to protect.

For example, google "Timothy Hunter"... he pre-dates a certain other boy wizard by many years.

Willie the Duck
2019-04-23, 01:27 PM
"Sir" is I believe the preferred appellation.
More seriously I think its "Celestial" usually .

I usually call heavenly beings, "honey," and that's how I stay married (:smallbiggrin:).

Clistenes
2019-04-23, 06:43 PM
I usually call heavenly beings, "honey," and that's how I stay married (:smallbiggrin:).

"Heavenly beings..." in plural...? How many wives do you have? :smalltongue:

gkathellar
2019-04-23, 07:06 PM
Planescape used "deva" roughly in parallel to "fiend." Make of that what you will.

PastorofMuppets
2019-04-25, 05:28 PM
Call them something like My Tallest, The Bright Lords, The Shiney Ones, the Gloweys or something similar

Max_Killjoy
2019-04-25, 05:40 PM
Meddler, interloper, busy-body...

stewstew5
2019-04-26, 12:17 PM
Meddler, interloper, busy-body...

Love your signature