PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #300 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2006-04-04, 03:41 AM
Well ,there you have it: the last comic for what will be the second book. These last two Xykon strips will be set as an "epilogue" after Roy's dramatic montage sequence to end the proper story. Hope you guys enjoyed it.

Bosh
2006-04-04, 03:42 AM
and it is finally upon us! rejoice!

bwaa ha ha die stuck-up paladins! die!

Reivas_Genocai
2006-04-04, 03:45 AM
I loved the Hobgoblin jokes

But that last thing was utterly amazing, that would make a great wallpaper.

Albion
2006-04-04, 03:45 AM
What a return! He sure knows how to reappear in style. Nice! Hehe. It reminds me of the witch king in LotR a little bit, in a good way - I see LotR connections whever there's a hint of fantasy. (Just because you see or invent a "connection" between two good things doesn't mean anything negative.)

Hehe, Redcloak is rising to the occasion and can be taken seriously? I'm afraid of him now. :-[ Mr. X has made a true villain out of him. ;) I guess they've been working together so long that it isn't so up-tight. Only natural in a basic typical day-to-day working relationship like this, eh...

Well executed I say I say... looks great. Ta ta ra taa! Death! Pillage! Rape! War! Destruction! Famine! Murder! Et cetera!
Just to celebrate #300, I've edited this post like 10-20 times. Tee hee!

Final Edit: Just to make sure I wasn't accusing anybody of "borrowing" things - that would've been idiotic in this case!

trebane
2006-04-04, 03:46 AM
Sweeeeeeeeeeet. We're headed towards final confrontation goodness.

Its looking great, Giant. Please, keep it up for another 300 (at least). ^_^

schmikey
2006-04-04, 03:47 AM
Wow, you really are a dork, aren't you.

Can't tell you how many times I've heard that one.

;D

mimicgogo
2006-04-04, 03:48 AM
I certainly agree that it would make an amazing wallpaper...Please?

So what kind of dragon did that used to be? I busted out my copy of Draconimicon, but it didnt help much...

When can we expect the second book to be available? Still by GenCon I hope?

Efogoto
2006-04-04, 03:48 AM
Hope you guys enjoyed it.

Every strip. And looking forward to many more for that much more enjoyment.

And I'll be buying the second book when it comes out.

Thanks Rich!

radishlaw
2006-04-04, 03:49 AM
a war is coming eh?
well done, giant. I can't wait to see the next story arc
It'll be a blast! (pun intended?)

ekedolphin
2006-04-04, 03:50 AM
Wow, Redcloak's really gaining a spine, huh?

Good to see that it's "the end of the story arc", which says to me "the end of Book 2 or 3". Yay, now let's see them books!

And by the way, first page, yay and all that jazz. ;)

Sampi
Awesome comic, Rich!

I sorta could see this one coming, but man, this is gonna be so good! I can't wait to see all the azure city- eople fighting alongside the OOTS!

And great devilroaches as well.

Dhavaer
WOW! That last frame looks FANTASTIC!

koumdros
2006-04-04, 03:51 AM
Damn i was hoping they would finally get out of this damned city :)

first page? from the tiem i saw the new thread till i goti it there were like 20 answers! I thought for sure I would hit 3rd page or soemthing :)
niiicee

Death, your friend the Reaper
2006-04-04, 03:51 AM
That is such a cool dragon!

wagemage
2006-04-04, 03:52 AM
The corpse gag was good, I thought maybe a rebuttle to use the corpses would have been appropriate, just my 2 cents. Otehr tan that I must say I like the flying dead dragon. If this is also on teh first page, Yeah
Wagemage

Barazon
2006-04-04, 03:52 AM
Ooooo! The end of a story arc!

This one was a lot of fun, especially the "ship made of hobgoblin corpses".

BlackFurredBeast
2006-04-04, 03:53 AM
Wow, just wow!

The last panel is posteriffic!

Vampire_Boy
2006-04-04, 03:54 AM
Very impressive! :D

Of course, now I can look forward to Xykon annihilating Miko along with the other defenders of the Azure City and turning her into his undead servant! Undead Miko! That would be SO COOL! :D

dwaro
2006-04-04, 03:54 AM
The hobgoblin's shoulders in the first strip in every panel seem to be transparent. As well as every hogoblin's torso and shoulders in the second strip.

CarpeAmentum
2006-04-04, 03:55 AM
I would have to agree, that last panel would make an excellent wallpaper. Looking forward to the next season, err story arc.

jmaccabeus
2006-04-04, 03:55 AM
*rubs simian eyes*

Now that's an evil horde. Looks like the fun's about to start!

chefs_slaad
2006-04-04, 03:56 AM
cool. The end of a story arch.

And time for a new comic I should think eh?

Antina
2006-04-04, 03:59 AM
Wow - *sniff* "My little" Redcloak finally grew up... ;)

What about the selling & shipping of the 2nd book?
Will it be available via amazon.com (then hopefully amazon.de too) ?

Can´t wait to get my fingers on the next book - but this time with less trouble - PRETTY PLEASE?

Albion
Wow - *sniff* "My little" Redcloak finally grew up... ;)

Yah! That is so touching. ;D

Ooooo! The end of a story arc!

This one was a lot of fun, especially the "ship made of hobgoblin corpses".

Agreed, that was the best part. ;D Xykon brings a unique touch to the comic.

Alternator
Page two isn't bad for my first topic posted in.

The Giant
The hobgoblin's shoulders in the first strip in every panel seem to be transparent. As well as every hogoblin's torso in the second strip.

Weird, I didn't notice that before. I'll see if I can fix it, it might take a while...

Lord Herman
2006-04-04, 04:00 AM
Awesome last page! Now start the magical comic-book-o-matic so I can have my book by next week.

Castamir
2006-04-04, 04:04 AM
I would have to agree, that last panel would make an excellent wallpaper.
Too bad it's in the portrait layout, not landscape. Thus, the last panel makes a good poster but a bad wallpaper. However, I believe we can trick Rich into doing some fan service...

Pvednes
2006-04-04, 04:05 AM
Aw, man, that is awesome. :D

Xykon's made himself a kickass comeback.

trebane
2006-04-04, 04:05 AM
So what kind of dragon did that used to be? I busted out my copy of Draconimicon, but it didnt help much...

If I remember correctly, they killed a silver on their way into the castle.

Yep.... waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in 195 (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=195), you can see a dead silver (or somewhat matte gray-ish?) dragon being poked by hobgoblins.

And now this lucky silver is the winged mount for the BBEG who leads a fresh and powerful ARMY OF DARKNESS!

PhantomFox
2006-04-04, 04:06 AM
This seems to be the appropriate place for an evil cackle.
*does so*

Ryltar_Swordsong
2006-04-04, 04:07 AM
Dun dun DUNNN!

Hopefully, Miko is the first casualty of Xykon's attack.

The Giant
2006-04-04, 04:10 AM
Transparency issue is fixed.

Martok
2006-04-04, 04:11 AM
Holy CRAP.

Now that is an evil horde! Xykon is set to conquer in fine style!

"So help me, if you make me sail a ship made of hobgoblin corpses across the ocean, I will find a way to make you pay." LOL! Best Redcloak line ever.

Awesome strip, Rich. Seriously.

Rei_Jin
2006-04-04, 04:12 AM
Awesome! What a way to finish a story arc!

I honestly can't wait to see what happens next, although I have to...

*stupid lack of a time machine...grumble, grumble...*

Sc00by
2006-04-04, 04:15 AM
Hmmm...

I'm worried...

The hobgoblins are going to Azure city!

I forsee cruelty and desecration (to my eyes!)

I mean Blue and Orange! ::) ;)

but a great 'end of the story arc' strip. And POSTER opportunities! Yay!

Mute
2006-04-04, 04:18 AM
Now I want to see the look on Miko's face when the Order fights at her side to defend the city ;D

Cool strip, Giant. Very evilgasmous.

pita
2006-04-04, 04:18 AM
Wow... that is odd... about 10 minutes have passed since I last refreshed...
3 pages already.
Awesome end to the story arc. I gotta hand it to you, giant. You know what you're doing.
Spoiler
The giant is not going to read this message. SUCKER

lost_child
2006-04-04, 04:19 AM
Wow. 8)

Nightstallion
2006-04-04, 04:19 AM
Wow. Just "wow".

On related notes...

Re the poster: I agree. Pretty please, Giant?

Re the book: When will it come out? Can't wait for the extra-strip goodness. ^_^

Beleriphon
2006-04-04, 04:24 AM
Fanfreakingtastic!

That was a great, totally not expecting that fully pager, it made me giggle in glee.

Gunslinger47
2006-04-04, 04:25 AM
I figured that's what you meant when you said that today would be "sort of" a double-length post.

Well ,there you have it: the last comic for what will be the second book.

Really? This'll be much longer than the first one, then. It included only 121 strips, not including the 18 bonuses. The new book will contain at least 179 without bonuses.

Btw, I already own Origins, and plan to buy both the first and second books together when it is released.

Seifer
2006-04-04, 04:25 AM
*claps* great ending for a fun story arc...

This smells like... massacre!

The_Crawling_Chaos
2006-04-04, 04:27 AM
I just wanted to write in to say that zombie angels are the best thing ever. Ever. I can't wait for the next storyline.

pita
2006-04-04, 04:32 AM
I prefer the Zombie Lich riding a Zombie Dragon over Zombie Hobgoblins and Zombie Catapults.

Castamir
2006-04-04, 04:32 AM
And now this lucky silver is the winged mount for the BBEG who leads a fresh and powerful ARMY OF DARKNESS!

Alright you primitive screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my BOOMSTICK! It's a 12 gauge double barreled Remington, S-mart's top of the line... you can find this in the sporting goods department... that's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan, retails for about $109.95, got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger.

Single_Lupus
2006-04-04, 04:33 AM
Wow! Very nice stuff! Can't wait to see where it's all headed. ^_^

So, end of an arc, and therefore, Book 2, eh? Got a title decided for that yet, or is that gonna be a suprise?

Charity322
2006-04-04, 04:34 AM
And it begins, the great battle of our time ...

Ooh wait, I have to pee before we go!

Castamir
2006-04-04, 04:34 AM
I prefer the Zombie Lich riding a Zombie Dragon over Zombie Hobgoblins and Zombie Catapults.
Just wait for Xykon's most dreadful creation:

Zombie Flumphs!

(and then, they'll be followed by Zombie Zombies)

Adeptus
2006-04-04, 04:38 AM
Now we are talking! I can't wait for the throwdown to follow.

I bet the Miko / Azure city storyline will work better as a trade paperback too. The complex and plot heavy story will benefit from being read in large chunks, I think.

Excellent work Rich, a worthy ending

RecurringDream
2006-04-04, 04:40 AM
Layers... so many layers, each one making eaverything else that much more hilarious. Not to mention the awesome, overwhelming vista art at the end.

I almost want to do a Visa commercial:

LOTR parody: Cheap.

Corporate geekdom references,
with color coded copies: $ .75 at Kinkos.

Ship of the dead: 315 ghouls.

Dramatic buildup
(Xykon on an undead Silver hovering over a hoarde of minions, asking if anyone has to go potty)...

...priceless.

Frank
2006-04-04, 04:43 AM
Xykon's made himself a kickass comeback.

Don't call it a comeback!
He's been here for years.
Resurrecting his troops,
Drop adventurers with Fear
With failed will saves and mind consumed
By His thirst for world conquest
EXPLOSIONS!
Of fireballs
To become the megalonecromantical tyrant
Don't you dare compare
You better move, and better beware
Or you'll be the one who gets clawed, and sprawled, and mauled...

Competition's gonna get SNARL'D!

Who's gonna knock you out? (HUH!)
Xykon said knock you out! (HUH!)
Who gonna knock u out!? (HUH!)
Xykon sed nok u owt, BREAKDOWN!

Dance the hobbie,
Dance the hobbie,
Dance the goblin,
Dance the goblin,

I ACCEPT THE REDCLOAK. (ERR!)
I ACCEPT THE REDCLOAK. (ERR!)
I ACCEPT THE REDCLOAK.

-Frank

<]:*| Thank you, Giant, for 300 really funny comics. Each and every one is much funnier than this.

Leo_Forestclaw
2006-04-04, 04:44 AM
Well ,there you have it: the last comic for what will be the second book. These last two Xykon strips will be set as an "epilogue" after Roy's dramatic montage sequence to end the proper story. Hope you guys enjoyed it.

The story arc rocked, Gaint! Still a huge fan of the Crayon Chronicles.

Thanks for many hours of mirth, merry making and fun!

5tephen
2006-04-04, 04:48 AM
Cool!

It willl never cease to amaze me how Rich manages to make a panel of stick figures look so impressive. But it is perfect. The stick figures suit the genre, and the style and the...essence of his story so well that it all just...

works.

Very well done, Giant. Perfect ending for the second book. Our hats are off.

gypsymaria
2006-04-04, 04:54 AM
I mostly just lurk here, but I read the comics faithfully three times a week. This last page was so awe-inspiring that I just had to speak.

I just quit my job due to some... issues with my "boss'" business practices, but I'm working hard on getting a new one. One that actually pays me. And when I get the pay, I will most certainly be buying the books. Because I must have them, looking all sweet and shiny on my bookshelf with my other comics.

This last page was just... epic. That's the only word for it. Even with stick figures, that last panel impressed the hell out of me. I'm caught between that breathless feeling I get when I see the huge battle scene in Return of the King, and the way I grin at those CapitalOne commercials with the Viking hordes.

Rich, I love your comic, and you for making it. Well done, man.

Vaarsuvius_Prime
2006-04-04, 04:56 AM
Zombragon! Yay!

rosebud
2006-04-04, 04:59 AM
Let's see:

- Part of me holds out hope that the color-coding was the idea of the creature in the shadows. It's so touchingly useless.
- I was a bit surprised Azure City's report color isn't blue.
- Wow, Xykon nice and Redcloak getting snarky; talk about role reversals. Lovely to see.
- Hobgoblins are (still) so cute!
- Great, OOtS is being sent out to the locations they aren't going. (Yes, I know they can very well meet up before doing so, but I find it amusing nonetheless.)
- Hobgoblin Corpse Ship -- how touching. :)
- Did I mention that hobgoblins are cute?
- "The path is through wilderness." -- I wonder how OOtS would feel about zombie dirt famers.
- Why is attacking Azure City so desireable? Have they encountered the Azure Guard before? Or do they just like the color blue?
- The trebuchets would have been so cute if they were loaded with hobgoblins.
- 98.5%? Yah, that's pretty geeky.
- It's nice to see Redcloak smiling.
- The variations of the zombie hobgoblins are, um, cute. Especially the one-eyed one in the third row.
- How powerful does a creature need be to animate that many corpses?

Lastly...

- Was I too greedy holding out hope that #300 would be three panels? :D (It's a rhetorical question, so no reply to greedy me on that point required. ;))

On to replies...

Hope you guys enjoyed it.We certainly did. I hope you did, too! :D Life's more fun if you enjoy your work. (And it's okay if you take a long overdue vacation -- we can survive, somehow, if you play hooky for the rest of the week. :))

But that last thing was utterly amazing, that would make a great wallpaper.(Channeling Xykon) The skins of goblin corpses would make nice wallpaper, wouldn't it?

Wow, you really are a dork, aren't you. Can't tell you how many times I've heard that one.Wow, you really are a dork. Only a dork would admit to that. ;) (Just kidding, of course. :))

Hopefully, Miko is the first casualty of Xykon's attack.A field of evil beings, every one she's allowed to kill? And you want her to what?!?! Whether or not she survives, you have to admit that her slicing (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=189) exploits (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=215) are pretty impressive. :) Scheeenk! Slash! Slash! Slash! Slash! Slash! She and Belkar are so very much alike. *grin*

Transparency issue is fixed.That was fast! I haven't even finished this post yet. :)

RemoJr
2006-04-04, 05:15 AM
woot! #300. awesome last panel. And so end book #2.

Sc00by
2006-04-04, 05:16 AM

Damn it that just created an unintentional coffee/nose interface!

Zann
2006-04-04, 05:17 AM
Well, it's better than #299.

I didn't think Redcloak would be that rude to Xykon...

Karellen
2006-04-04, 05:22 AM
- Why is attacking Azure City so desireable? Have they encountered the Azure Guard before? Or do they just like the color blue?

I would guess that this (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=277) might have something to do with Redcloak's disaffection for Azure City. As for Xykon, I would guess he finds killing Paladins is somewhat more amusing than other types of killing. ;D

Jonathan_Crane
2006-04-04, 05:24 AM
It's funny, earlier in the week I was thinking to myself, "If I was writing Order of the Stick, I'd have Xykon attack Azure City. That horde of hobgoblins being hacked apart by a small, disciplined force of Paladin's would make a fantastic sequence." I also have an idea of the manner in which I'd like to see the Creature in the Shadows to be revealed. Hopefully that will happen too. *attempts to send Rich a telepathic message*

Fantastic comic, as always. The anticipation for the coming battle sequence, which will be awesome, is killing me!

Lasombra
2006-04-04, 05:25 AM
I'm still waiting for redcloak to get miffed and rebuke Xxyclon :P

very cool though! cant wait for the next comic

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-04-04, 05:47 AM
I'm still waiting for redcloak to get miffed and rebuke Xxyclon :P

wow...rebuked by his wn phylactery...now THAT'S irony

tee_kay_one
2006-04-04, 05:54 AM
Holy cow, this is one cool comic!
Giant, you are a great writer. It's all so dramatic...

And a question to the AD&D players out there -- how does one create a zombie dragon? Sounds like a mean trick to me, redcloak seems to be quite powerful.

Eithil
2006-04-04, 05:59 AM
Heh, poor poor Roy. He gets to finish the book, and the story arc, in style with his very eloquent last words, then:

"GAH!!! ...Ow."

;D

Great timing, finishing exactly on 300! And great comic!

Nyello
2006-04-04, 06:13 AM
Great job, Giant ;D I' m also preparing a war in my campaing now.

Nevertheless, even though many of you said that it reminded you LotR, the final panel (the big one) reminded me of Anachron (http://www.ventsdouest.com/anachron/).
It's a comic with a medieval world mixed with advanced technoligy (I didn't really like its ending) and the evil overlord was preparing for a war, so in the last panel of a chapter it was like OotS.

P.S.:Also, the url is in french. :)

Ikkitosen
2006-04-04, 06:14 AM
Brilliant comic, I look forward to the book.

Aiani
2006-04-04, 06:14 AM
Man that last panel was awesome. I have enjoyed this part of the story greatly just like I enjoyed the first part greatly and I can't wait for the book to come out. Also this really brightened my night at work. :)

Methuselah_Amakiir
2006-04-04, 06:28 AM
Dragon zombie... only seen it in more recent games, not any D&D ones, though. That would be a mean trick. But doesn't Xykon raise his own undead minions?

I had a druid that tamed a dragon once... as a young adult. And so by level 20 he was quite the pimp, riding a dragon and throwing spells.

Anyway, good ending, Rich!

Shara_Littlebottom
2006-04-04, 06:54 AM
I need to pee.

Reaver225
2006-04-04, 06:58 AM
Kickass double pages of Xyrconry goodness (evilness?)!

Wait, are those- Vampire hobgoblins? They have fangs!

Belmorn
2006-04-04, 07:11 AM
Uuu, i like the dragon

Aidan305
2006-04-04, 07:17 AM
Wow

Kanashimi
2006-04-04, 07:20 AM
Nice. Azure city is really in for it. I wonder why they're so excited about conquering Azure city. When redcloak mentioned that the Xykon he seemed eeeeevilly pleased.

Funny thing is, I actually have made a boat out of fallen enemies. it sank. and stank

awesome job Rich!

SITB
2006-04-04, 07:37 AM
Won't the OOTS head toward the other gates by the time Xykon army arrives to Azure city?

Castamir
2006-04-04, 07:41 AM
It will take several weeks for Xykon's army to reach the Azure City. On the other hand, OOTS are ready to depart right now.

Magus
2006-04-04, 07:50 AM
*prostrates his unworthy self before the Giant*

This is sheer brilliance. The irony of Xykon's army heading for Azure City just as the Order is leaving Azure City to go fight Xykon is impressive- as is Xykon's army itself.

Redcloak continues to impress. Most evil overlords dream of an underling so competent!

(Okay, they dream of an underling so competent and less snarky, but still...)

Nighthawk4
2006-04-04, 07:52 AM
Next stop Azure City :D

Nice one.

Shlik
2006-04-04, 07:56 AM
Now that the story arc is finished, when can I buy it?

WNxArrakis
2006-04-04, 08:00 AM
I think I just had an evilgasm

Oh
My
GOSH
that was nice..

Arrakis

ibitak84
2006-04-04, 08:00 AM
So, is the Giant familair with German comedy movies (i.e., "Der Schuh des Manitu")? Or, more likely, ar the similarities coincidental and it's just hip for villians to ensure that all minions "went" before they start off to commit evil?

CommanderFalken
2006-04-04, 08:19 AM
Woah, that was AMAZING!!! Can't WAIT for the new book!

Awesome job, Mr. Burlew. Can't wait to see more!

Waitaminute... The Hobgoblin Army is attacking Azure City! That's so COOL!!!!

However, I have a <spoiler>

The armies are attacking Azure City, right? So, what happens when they end up fighting in the streets? Belkar can't fight!!! Oh, he's not gonna be pleased...

Quick question: How long has OOTS been around?

_JM_
2006-04-04, 08:20 AM
I agree that OOTS #277 shows someone with a distinct resemblance to Redcloak being killed by Sapphire Guard Paladins so I can understand his enthusiasm.

The idea of conquering a city and having the bonus of killing an entire order of Paladins would be a very attractive one to evil-aligned characters, the presence of the Paladins being an attraction rather than a deterrent.

Putting on the cap of +5 over-thinking (was +10 before I sliced 250 words out of the post) I’d also like to quote Elan.

OOTS #260 “Did you guys know that Azure City is the largest trading port in Southern lands? Thousands of ships come from all over the world to barter for fine Southern goods like silk, spices, and video games.”

It is a rich city, plenty of loot for bribing neutral rulers…which might include the rulers of some of the eight human countries between the Hobgoblin city and the “Second Location”.

It is a trading city with ships in harbour which can be captured (and if they try to flee then the flying zombies and zombie dragon can chase them down) and shipwrights and shipyards which can build more ships…which can then carry your Hobgoblin horde to the “First Location”.

Serina_Spellbinder
2006-04-04, 08:21 AM
Dun dun DUNNN!

Hopefully, Miko is the first casualty of Xykon's attack.

Darn it, you beat me to the dramatic chord. ;) That's the first thing that ran through my mind when I finished reading the strip. Lots of good gags, including "Wow, you really are a dork, aren't you?" and "If anyone has to pee before we get started, now's the time."

I got the same LOTR-like feel in the last panel that probably a lot of readers did.

Zann
2006-04-04, 08:25 AM
Hows about this...

[SPOILER]

Whats the betting that the Thing in the Shadows gets left behind?

Swashbuckler
2006-04-04, 08:58 AM
WOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!! :o :o

The splash page ... AMAZING! The brilliance! The story!

Rich ... you the MAN. 8)

Zann
2006-04-04, 09:00 AM
*ahem*

Don't you mean, 'da man'?

Krytha
2006-04-04, 09:38 AM
Oots leaves before or after Xykon gets there? Otherwise, hurray! Siege combat!

Eva_of_Sirrion
2006-04-04, 09:51 AM
What exactly is Redcloak whining about in the first panel?

Xykon: Redcloak, report!

Red: Well, since you asked so nicely...

From #197:

Red: You there, lieutenant guy, report!

At least Xykon calls Red by name.

Wrecan
2006-04-04, 10:11 AM
1) Redcloak is probably not his name. It's the equivalent of "lietenant-guy"
2) Redcloak would probably want to be treated with more respect (and thus less dispensability) from Xykon than he treats hobgoblins. Which is hypocritical, but totally understandable.

Jaime
2006-04-04, 10:14 AM
Xykon's undead dragon is VERY badass. Looks like it took forever to draw.

And this probably isn't intentional, but... the dragon also looks like Strong Bad's early attempt to draw Trogdor.

Starla
2006-04-04, 10:23 AM
Hope you guys enjoyed it.

Yes! It was amazing.

GeekDaddy
2006-04-04, 10:24 AM
Oooooh! Nice dracolich!

But does Xykon not see the potential problems of taking a horde of undead to attack a city 99.5% populated by Paladins? May as well invite in a few rangers with goblinoid as their chosen enemy and make the challenge complete...

Raptor13x
2006-04-04, 10:26 AM
"If anyone has to pee before we get started, now's the time"

ROFL!! I fell over laughing when I saw that, it caught me totally off guard, hahaha

fithi
2006-04-04, 10:30 AM
"If anyone has to pee before we get started, now's the time."

*snicker* Why am I constantly flashing back to various family road trips right now?

A wonderful end to this storyline, and bring on the battle for Azure City!

Wntrrvn
2006-04-04, 10:39 AM
I love the splash page. Very nicely done.

A ship made of hobgoblin corpses.

Big chuckle.

Deuce
2006-04-04, 10:43 AM
Nice.

No, that dosn't quite capture it . . .

Nice!

Much better

Illsbane
2006-04-04, 10:43 AM
Redcloak's really growing as a villain ... Xykon had better watch his back; his surly lieutenant is the keeper of his phylacteryl, after all.

"The ghouls do get hungry..." *snrk* Comedy gold, D&D-style. ^^

It's very special that Xykon is going to attack Azure City. Such serendipity ... If the OotS just lingers a bit, they have their second round with Xykon sooner than expected. Add in the Azure Guard to counter the hobgoblins and un-dead and it's a pretty fair match.

Deuce
2006-04-04, 10:45 AM
. . . May as well invite in a few rangers with goblinoid as their chosen enemy and make the challenge complete...

Hmmm . . . I can think of one that might qualify - he's got this little problem with killing in cities though . . .

The_Librarian
2006-04-04, 10:47 AM
A wonderful end to this storyline, and bring on the battle for Azure City!

I don't have anything intelligent to add, really, other than- this is awesome and I am really looking forward to the battle!

Mordeus_Dire
2006-04-04, 10:52 AM
A perfect 300th comic. Good to see the old Lich back in the game, I was starting to miss the guy.

Oh yeah! Now that's the kind of d&d bad guy army I like to see! Bring on the zombies! Bring on the Hobgoblins! Bring on Xykon doing a fairly mediocre Ringwraith impersonation!!

But does Xykon not see the potential problems of taking a horde of undead to attack a city 99.5% populated by Paladins?

Well... My rantings aside, check out the last frame, less than a quarter of the horde seemed to be particuarly dead looking. And somehow I doubt the whole city is populated by Paladins.
Looks like its the goblinoids that will be expected to fight for the most part. Sure a few hundred undead may be obliterated within the first 10 seconds, but there's plenty more where they came from!

And I doubt Xykon will mind if some orange skinned arrow fodder gets nailed during the frontal assault, that's what stupid underlings are good for... And being reanimated as zombies of course.

Bad guys like Xykon is so cool, they're so... Efficient.

garylian
2006-04-04, 10:53 AM
Great comic, Giant! Here's hoping that the next 300 are just as fun!

The Doctor
2006-04-04, 10:53 AM
But does Xykon not see the potential problems of taking a horde of undead to attack a city 99.5% populated by Paladins?

Zombies [advanced] = load of hit dice = high turn DC
Paladin turn ability = near nonexistent
City full of people = raw material

My guess is he doesn't worry too much.

watermammal
2006-04-04, 10:57 AM
Okay, I wish I could say I saw this coming, and to a very minor point, I did. But great googly-moogly, Giant, the sheer scale simply astonishes and delights me. I didn't fear for the Order before. Now I am a little nervous for their continuing..you know..living. Fantastic, Giant. As far as book two, have credit card, will purchase.

SabreGuy
2006-04-04, 11:00 AM
I totally have to work zombie angels in to my campaign!! My players are gonna HATE me!

To be honest, I've never really liked Redcloak (though I do admire his simple, effective name,) but after this comic, you have to respect the little green guy. I mean, not only does he refuse to sail a corpse vessel, but he was able to create zombie versions of some fairly high level critters. Huzzah, Redcloak!

Devoured_Dude
2006-04-04, 11:08 AM
Gorgeous splash page, Giant!

I hope the OOTS team finds a way around Belkar's magical prohibition from fighting in a city.

tothecornfield
2006-04-04, 11:10 AM
I like where the story is going, however I am a little disappointed that I won't get to see a hobgoblin corpse ship. Any chance we can get a sketch of what that would look like. Great way to end the story arc.

indianajoe
2006-04-04, 11:14 AM
Nice.

rohanvos
2006-04-04, 11:16 AM
Fantastic and even though we all knew what gate the horde was going to it was truely worth while to see the illustrations.

DragoonStar47
2006-04-04, 11:17 AM
I freaken love the undead dragon! And that is a MASSICE horde he has. One problem though, couldn't all the paladins and clerics just turn undead?

Eriol
2006-04-04, 11:41 AM
Interesting... didn't like it as much as #200, but still not bad.

One question though: why did all the zombie hobgoblins lose their lower teeth? You'd think they'd still have them. Or at least SOME of them would, but ALL of them are missing. They're present on all the goblins (and hobgoblins), but missing from zombies made from such?

shame!

jmucchiello
2006-04-04, 11:44 AM
I know they're just there for effect but I certainly hope they aren't planning to march with loaded catapults. That's a sure fire way of crushing the troops marching forward of the catapults when they accidently go off. Must be zombie hobgoblins manning the catapults. Normal hobgoblins are too smart to make such a mistake.

GM_West
2006-04-04, 11:45 AM
Awesome. Thank you, Giant. Looking forward to getting our 'sneak peek' at Book #3 now! That's really what this website is all about, after all. Especially now that you're an established and published comic artist.

Thanks for giving us the chance to see you put your stories together before they even hit the bookstands!! :)

Alfryd
2006-04-04, 11:47 AM
Excellent. Any clue as to what the bonus strips, if any, might consist of?

Flying zombies. That's just eeevil. A display of vestigial respect for the sanctity of life again, Redcloak? Tsk, tsk.
I'm bginning to wonder if Xykon's attachment to the TitD might be his achilles heel.

We're off to see the wizard...

I sorta could see this one coming, but man, this is gonna be so good! I can't wait to see all the azure city- people fighting alongside the OOTS!
Perhaps. But it will take several weeks for the horde to arrive, Roy & Co. may be called away shortly by the Linear Guild engagement, and in any case their job is to scout the *other* gates. Besides, Xykon is confident he can wipe out an entire nation, and even a party of moderately high-level adventurers can't prevail against an entire army in a direct frontal assault. They'd have to run. Remember, everything in this comic happens for a purpose, including Julia's entanglement. What better to produce an agonising moral dilemma?

For my money, while away dealing with Nale & Co, Xykon will overrun the city, Miko will escape, furious that the Lich Roy claimed to have bested is back in action, furious with herself for failing to defend her city and her comrades, and proceed to track him down. Possibly to ask for help, possibly just for revenge, and then we have an abrupt confrontation with Belkar. This could get very, very, ugly very easily. Depends on whether Roy gets back in time.

Ah, but the difficulty *is* the attraction!

TheLastOfTheFallen
2006-04-04, 11:47 AM
The splash panel:

Beautiful. Simply Beautiful. The giant dragon was gorgeous, and everything else was just stunning.

Rest of the comic was funny too. :D Great job, Rich.

Serraco
2006-04-04, 11:48 AM
Ooooh! Zombie Dragon! VERY sexy (in a mechanical way).

Once again, things are gonna get interesting.

Gary_Schaper
2006-04-04, 11:52 AM
"If anyone has to pee before we get started, now's the time."

*snicker* Why am I constantly flashing back to various family road trips right now?
Wait till he has legions of hobgoblins whining "Are we there yet?"

Of course, zombies don't whine. Neither do they pee. Problem solved!

Archonic Energy
2006-04-04, 11:54 AM
i was wondering if that dragon from the castle was going to appear.

flying zombies... cool!

but why attack a place full of people who can turn undead... the hobgoblin boat would have been easier.

Good Comic Giant, can't wait for the book... well i'm going to have to but you know what i mean

i didn't see a pink umbrella in the hordes...

Freeman333
2006-04-04, 12:07 PM
So, it looks like Redcloak is now officially the **** Cheney of the fantasy world. I mean, in what way is he not running this show? He's responsible for the composition of the army, he decided which gate would be the next goal, he even threatened Xykon openly and without pretence--and the lich just stood there and took it. R.C. has gone beyond just having "a bit of spine" now; he's the true power behind this invasion and I'm thinking that when skull-boy is good and disrupted it's Redcloak who will be the one to watch out for.

Dorks, after all, make the most dangerous enemies. (Unless they have to run up stairs, then they get winded really quickly.)

EscherEnigma
2006-04-04, 12:13 PM
What makes people think the Azure city has a significantly large portion of paladins/clerics? Sure, It's home to the saphire guard, a SECRET order of paladins, but as was stated in most of the citizen's don't know they exist. (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=287) So they can't be THAT large of an order, really, otherwise they couldn't still be a secret. As for thinking there's alot of clerics... well, for a city that large, there probably IS, but we haven't seen anything to indicate it has a larger population of clerics then normal for a city that size, other then the prescence of the Sapphire Guard, and I'm not willing to bet that the Sapphire Guard alone brings the population of high level clerics to obscene amounts.

Furthermore, why would Xykon know of this at all? It's a secret order, so unless he's fought them before (possible, but not likely) he probably doesn't know. And the halfling diary wouldn't tell him, since she wouldn't have known what Soon did (create a paladin order) to protect his gate. So, as far as I can tell, Xykon probably doesn't know he's invading the home of a paladin order built specifically to defend the gate he's coming to take.

About the only special knowledge of Azure City that he probably has is that it's the location of one of the gates, and that Soon did SOMETHING to defend it.

Aside frm those conjectures about what Azure City and Xykon's knowledge, awesome comic! I was planning on going ahead and ordering the first two books soon, but now I think I'll wait till book 2 is ready to order.

Aerysil1
2006-04-04, 12:16 PM
Ooh, a dracolich.

Frito_Butterbuns
2006-04-04, 12:18 PM
1) Redcloak is probably not his name. It's the equivalent of "lietenant-guy"

I would have thought that too except in his preface to On the Origin of PCs, Redcloak signs off as "Redcloak, Goblin cleric, August 2005." Maybe its his last name? :)

Waf
2006-04-04, 12:27 PM
Furthermore, why would Xykon know of this at all? It's a secret order, so unless he's fought them before (possible, but not likely) he probably doesn't know. And the halfling diary wouldn't tell him, since she wouldn't have known what Soon did (create a paladin order) to protect his gate. So, as far as I can tell, Xykon probably doesn't know he's invading the home of a paladin order built specifically to defend the gate he's coming to take.

Well, Shojo did know how all 4 other gates were defended, so I don't find it unlikely at all that the halfling knew how his was defended.

BigT
2006-04-04, 12:35 PM
I loved that "splash page" at the end, definite poster material.
Obviously there is a lot more story to come my friends...

fluffybunny
2006-04-04, 12:38 PM
Awesome way to finish #300!

3 things:

1) "I have them colour coded." Bwhahhahahaha, that's a sure sign of pure evil!
2) "Sail a ship of hobgoblin corpses - I will make you pay!"
awwww, isn't it cute, our Redcload is growing up! atleast a spine... I almost
fell of my chair there!
3) Dracolich, dracolich, dracolich! I don't care how many stuck up paladins there are in Azure city, that monstrosity will make them cring! <insert evil laughter>

Who doesn't enjoy the smell of crispy-burned paladins in the morning?

Way to go Giant! Thanks for an increadible comic!

Rethorn
2006-04-04, 12:41 PM
Hmmm. Is it really intelligent to raid a city of Paladins... If you're a Lich?

Great comic though, Rich. 300 episodes so far and they've all been great :D

Xenon
2006-04-04, 12:48 PM
oh, thats gonna be amusing.

...now im wondering if any of the ghouls have to pee.

Kedrot
2006-04-04, 12:54 PM
I would have already set the last panel as the desktop, but i'm at school so not possible, great way to roll around 300 Giant... A ship you say?

Zarquon
2006-04-04, 01:03 PM
One question though: why did all the zombie hobgoblins lose their lower teeth? You'd think they'd still have them. Or at least SOME of them would, but ALL of them are missing. They're present on all the goblins (and hobgoblins), but missing from zombies made from such?

shame!

Note that they're missing hobgoblinish ears, too. That's because they're not zombie hobgoblins. They're ghouls. Check panel #2.

Which brings up the question: WHY are they ghouls? Shouldn't they be ghasts (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=107)?

Edit: My mistake. Apparently there are both ghouls AND ghasts among Zykon's horde. The greenish ones are ghasts, and the greyish ones ghouls. 'zat right, ya think?

Edit Edit: Crap. I'm wrong again (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=102). Okay, those grey ones are zombies. But where did he get them? Are we sure they were once hobgoblins? Redcloak's been turning disruptive hobgoblins into ghouls, not zombies. (Again, why not ghasts?)

LostOne
2006-04-04, 01:05 PM
Xykon, my favorite charecter at last! Great comic, definatly worthy of both comic 300 and the last page of book. Just incredible.

P.S. Perhaps Xykon's animated dragon mount needed to pee? :P

Vengeful_Hand
2006-04-04, 01:10 PM
I think I just had an evilgasm.

There never was...there never will be...there cannot be...a panel that is enough pure "mua ha ha" to surpass this. I love it.

I think Xykon was right. Redcloak has grown a spine. I'm astounded the dreaded Liche let Redcloak actually threaten him.

Rethorn
2006-04-04, 01:17 PM
Redcloak must have gone up a level, and Xykon is treating him more of an equal now.

I mean... Gone up a level when they were scaling the tower. Not gone up a level in the tower...

Zarquon
2006-04-04, 01:25 PM
Another thought: To those who wonder about the efficacy of sending a bunch of undead against a bunch of paladins: See how Zykon has the undead mixed in with the live hobgoblins? It's an evil tactic. Sure! Great! Spend a round Turning Undead. Great, you've killed or turned like 10% of the platoon attacking you, and now the rest of the platoon overwhelms you. On the other hand, having that 10% undead mixed in is great when certain spells or effects (like sleep) are used, as, even if it takes out most of the element, there will be some undead left to kill you.

All in all, a most effective way to make the enemy use more resources fighting you than otherwise.

(To see the alternative, imagine if they were separated, like they were when OOTS faced Zykon's earlier horde. Send the clerics against the undead, and the arcane spellcasters against the living troops, with warrior types on the front of each skirmish line. Each resource is used with maximum efficiency. THIS way, you need BOTH arcane AND divine spellcasters EVERYWHERE. And there just aren't that many to go around.)

Ghosthunter
2006-04-04, 01:28 PM
I became a fan (by that I mean addicted to) Order of the Stick well over a year ago. At the time, the series was only at about 125 or so. When I first heard of it, I started reading at number one and spent hours reading until I got to the end!

I'm new here, and I'm sure it's been said before, but I'd like to commend the author/artist on a wonderful comic! On top of this, the last drawing with the dragon was extraordinary! I look forward to feeding this addiction for a long time to come! ;D

Pesi
2006-04-04, 01:32 PM
Saw #300 earlier today...
Saw it again just now.
Were the beast's wings always transparent? Was it changed or am I just imagining things?

The Glitter Ninja
2006-04-04, 01:32 PM
Xykon's dragolich is creeping me out. Ew.

This was one of the best ever. I laughed out loud several times and I'm also wondering what Xykon's up to. Why did he and Redcloak seem so happy to attack Azure City? Can't wait to find out specifics on that one.

I know this will probably end with Miko becoming one of the OOTS' allies, but getting to that point should be interesting. I can't wait.

Ghosthunter
2006-04-04, 01:38 PM
Xykon's dragolich is creeping me out. Ew.

This was one of the best ever. I laughed out loud several times and I'm also wondering what Xykon's up to. Why did he and Redcloak seem so happy to attack Azure City? Can't wait to find out specifics on that one.

I know this will probably end with Miko becoming one of the OOTS' allies, but getting to that point should be interesting. I can't wait.

I'd never even thought of the Miko thing! I suppose it'll be one of those "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" sort of things...good call!

Elven_magister
2006-04-04, 01:47 PM
Cool Comic! I can see some LOTR jokes coming up!

chibibar
2006-04-04, 01:55 PM
how many Legion is Xykon taking with him? if it is "all of them" I don't think we have enough Paladins to go around.

crippits
2006-04-04, 01:58 PM
Great comic. Worthy of the 300 milestone.

i love the detail on the dragon zombie. I especially like that the left hind foot is missing, and the bone is just sticking out. It's the smaller details that makes this book work.

Keep it up!

Forderz
2006-04-04, 02:03 PM
THis is all good and fine and such, but where are the ghosts? thier gaze attack is the pwnzorz :)

Vargtass
2006-04-04, 02:21 PM
On the choice of ghouls and limit on zombies: Redcloak probably prefer having to command created undead to treating uncontrolled animated zombies, and neither can he have had an unlimited supply of onyxes at hand to go for ghasts. Or, perhaps he knows that those critters will be too individualistic. After all, the ghouls seem "happy" enough for having a "decent" fare.

Xykon also have a tendency to sacrifice minions; better to sacrifice ghouls than ghasts, easier to replace (and cheaper), especially en masse!

On some recent similarities with LotR: Reforging swords of destiny is an ancient theme (found, for example, in the norse tale of Sigurd Fafnirsbane, which also inspired Tolkien), and evil guys on dragons or other flying monsters have been iconic images elsewhere as well, often enough to belong to the common fnatasy heritage, in my opinion. While I recognize the similarities, I do not think these constitute deeper connections to the work of Tolkien, specifically.

metalphil
2006-04-04, 02:25 PM
Giant, credit is due. That last frame is awesome! I never thought I'd actually be like "Woah!" at an army of stick-figures and a cartoon dracolich! Totally awesome.

Also, the color-coded parchment joke was awesome.

Brother_Hood
2006-04-04, 02:29 PM
RedCloaked guy is getting snippy! :)

Can't wait to see how this ends. Also can't wait to see Roy's new sword in action.

Gary_Schaper
2006-04-04, 02:55 PM
I would have thought that too except in his preface to On the Origin of PCs, Redcloak signs off as "Redcloak, Goblin cleric, August 2005." Maybe its his last name? :)
He's pretty lucky that his sartorial taste coincides with his name. :)

ref
2006-04-04, 03:12 PM
Who is that zombie angel? Also, if Miko dies I'll be very angry.

Where do I get book 2?

warmachine
2006-04-04, 03:23 PM
Comic 277 suggests why Redcloak is gleeful about Azure City being conquered. Even though the Sapphire Guard are secret, Redcloak probably has the spells to divine that they're responsible for the 'atrocity' and their location. Xykon merely seems pleased, even though the second choice offers more people to torture. This suggests a logical reason for the choice. Do we know what that is?

Kish
2006-04-04, 03:24 PM
Who is that zombie angel?
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=193

just_al
2006-04-04, 03:25 PM
Gorgeous splash page, Giant!

I hope the OOTS team finds a way around Belkar's magical prohibition from fighting in a city.

He cannot kill living creatures in a city. Hence the zombies.

mimicgogo
2006-04-04, 03:27 PM
You know, it occurs to me that I had a ship of fallen foes once. Our party's druid effectively warped an entire pirate ship, and we pretty much used the bodies as little rowboats to get the flotsam. Good times.

Lloyd
2006-04-04, 03:40 PM
To anyone who knows the programs the Giant uses to draw these comics: Would one have to go and draw every little hobgoblin head that we see in the last panel, or is there a way to speed that up?

Either way, Giant, WOW!. Just WOW! I've been putting off getting the first two books, now it looks like I'll just be getting all three of them in one shot.

Congrats on the 300 comic milestone, hopefully there will be many, many more to come.

Edit: Oh, I doubt the OotS will get out of Azure City before Xyklon gets there. Now that the story arc is over, V has to call his/her agent for the bungle in comic #277.

EdgarVerona
2006-04-04, 03:45 PM
Woot! Evil! Evil! Evil!

I, for one, welcome our new undead overlord.

Gefangnis
2006-04-04, 03:54 PM
So, is the 2nd book going to be 180 strips? That's impressive, especially since many of them are double.

I look forward to getting it!

Finwe
2006-04-04, 03:55 PM
He cannot kill living creatures in a city. Hence the zombies.

In this situation, I'm pretty sure V would cast break enchantment, and the mark would either be cast right there with new conditions, or recast at a later time.

P.S. IT'S NOT A DRACOLICH. Dracolich's are literally Dragons who become lich's. The thing in the comic is just a zombie-dragon.

Nitrof
2006-04-04, 03:57 PM
I certainly agree that it would make an amazing wallpaper...Please?

When can we expect the second book to be available? Still by GenCon I hope?

On comic 195 i think is the dragon that it once was. It is in the background dead w/ hobgoblins surrounding it.

jmaccabeus
2006-04-04, 04:01 PM
To anyone who knows the programs the Giant uses to draw these comics: Would one have to go and draw every little hobgoblin head that we see in the last panel, or is there a way to speed that up?

Copy-paste-paste-paste-paste-paste-paste-paste-paste-paste-paste-paste-paste...

...and, after you're done, add in a few details to differentiate some of them. Or, at least, that's what I would do in that situation.

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2006-04-04, 04:19 PM
I'm such a dork; as I was out for a bike ride today the thought popped into my head, "Who knew Xykon had ranks in Ride?"

Hoseki
2006-04-04, 04:39 PM
I'm such a dork; as I was out for a bike ride today the thought popped into my head, "Who knew Xykon had ranks in Ride?"

*Snort*

Yeah, but if there weren't any LotR jokes in 'reforging the sword' *Dun-dun-DUNNN!* there won't be any here. Sorry folks.

T-shirt? I'd buy it, even though I make a habit of not wearing clothes with stuff on them.

Beleriphon
2006-04-04, 04:54 PM
Something to keep in mind with the clerics in Azure city, Redcloak is also a cleric, a fairly powerful one to boot. Thus he can Bolster Undead! Huzzah for Evil!

Maxymiuk
2006-04-04, 05:22 PM
Huzzah for evil!

Minor nitpick: If you look at 3 panels in the second row, you see a hobgoblin appearing from the left frame, hobgoblin disappearing into the right frame, hobgoblin in the center.

Shouldn't it be left, center, right?

LostOne
2006-04-04, 05:29 PM
First of all, I am now considering buying the books. This comic seems to have won over alot of readers. I

In response to the above post, we are likely seeing two or three diferent hob-goblins.

Melnor
2006-04-04, 05:44 PM
Great comic, Giant!
It wasn't that funny at first, but that was absolved by how much it advanced the plot, and then the last line with the bugs was simply hilarious.
And you don't mean...that you're not posting anymore comics on the site...are you? Because I will die....

Gunslinger47
2006-04-04, 06:02 PM
Just to clear up a couple confusions that have been repeated in this thread. Firstly.

That's not a dracolich. It's just a zombie. Dracoliches are dragons that sought to become liches for their own reasons, not mindless hunks of undead flesh. If you have the Draconomicon, you can review the differences in detail.

Dracoliches are detailed on page 146, while Zombie Dragons are detailed on 197.

The second confusion is the idea that Xykon's army can be neutralized with Turn Undead. It can't.

We know that Xykon has 341 ghouls and an unknown number of zombies, including the dragon and four sylphs. Impressive, yes. However, he has around 26 000 hobgoblins. Hence the evilgasm (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=197).

Turn Undead would probably be useful in a war against Xykon's army, but it certainly wouldn't be sufficient by itself.

Brasswatchman
2006-04-04, 06:33 PM
As my distant whigger ancestors might say: Aww, hell, yeah. It's on, son.

So, will the Order of the Stick be forced to defend the Azure City? Will they make it out of town before Xylon smashes all before him? Will it be a race against time to secure the rest of the gates? (plot coupons! Plot Coupons! Redeem for one ending!)

Except for the beginning, I'm doing a pretty good Elan impression, aren't I? :D

vampeel
2006-04-04, 06:55 PM
Shameless plugs are the best.

I also like how Disciple problems are dealt with, and no one have an issue with it. Showing what true evil is, more worried about that the math doesn't work then what they are actually counting.

prometheusx
2006-04-04, 07:00 PM
Can someone confirm that the ones with fangs and red eyes are the ghouls? They look kinda like vamps, and I got confused.

BURNhollywoodBURN
2006-04-04, 07:03 PM
Wow... that is odd... about 10 minutes have passed since I last refreshed...
3 pages already.
Awesome end to the story arc. I gotta hand it to you, giant. You know what you're doing.
Spoiler
The giant is not going to read this message. SUCKER

Now he can.

BURNhollywoodBURN
2006-04-04, 07:06 PM
Alright you primitive screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my BOOMSTICK! It's a 12 gauge double barreled Remington, S-mart's top of the line... you can find this in the sporting goods department... that's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan, retails for about $109.95, got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger.

WTH
HHE
AEL
T L?

BURNhollywoodBURN
2006-04-04, 07:07 PM
WTH
HHE
AEL
T L?

NO PRESSED THE WRONG BUTTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!111

Aereshaa_the_2nd
2006-04-04, 07:21 PM
I loved that ending!!
I'm writing low. Please Giant can you make that splash a wallpaper?
I think red cloak is getting the respect of Xykon.

The Linker
2006-04-04, 07:21 PM
Huzzah for evil!

Minor nitpick: If you look at 3 panels in the second row, you see a hobgoblin appearing from the left frame, hobgoblin disappearing into the right frame, hobgoblin in the center.

Shouldn't it be left, center, right?

I'm pretty sure they're different hobogoblins (at least 2), meant to signify how busy it is in the background. They don't take THAT long to walk across the panel :P

they don't walk in different directions because they're all going to the army to group up. So Rich had to make them look busy without drawing them going in different directions. That's why it may look confusing, like just one.

Winged One
2006-04-04, 07:46 PM
AWSOME! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Flying Zombies 2.0, sweet splash page, and invading the paladin nation! It's like my birthday come early, but with great new OOTS instead of birthday cake!(my birthday sometimes falls on days without new OOTS, after all)

Carrion_Humanoid
2006-04-04, 07:56 PM
as my friend Zorogon would say "Duuude, thats Evviil!" That was seiously the most terrifying army ever, i am so making a army near that capasity in Evilness. I copied it and made the last part my background, hope thats not illegal, i kept the copyright thing on. . .

Edit: DIE YOU STUPID PALLIDANS! THE UNDEAD SHALL CONSUME YOU!!! i hate pallidans SOOOOOO much! in one campiegn, the only pallidan in the party was all like "Hahahaha! I am a pallidan, you there barbarian, you are insuperior!!!" so i killed him, stole his armor and that was the first of my zombie horde when i started the path of the necromancer.

Yogi
2006-04-04, 08:19 PM
Miko's going to have a Paladingasm at the thought of smiting this much evil.

Tariskat
2006-04-04, 08:36 PM
Haven't posted in several strips, but had to log on to say "Wow." That. Last. Panel. Rocked.
Incidentally, is there a particular reason why undead have one toe? I'm combing the board now to see if that crossed anyone else's mind.
But that is a great panel to end the story arc on. Frickin amAzing.

Edit: no. no ears and missing toes. Why is that funny to me?
And the undead dragon, whatever he may be classified as, is fantastic.

Swashbuckler
2006-04-04, 08:37 PM
[spoiler-prediction]

Miko's gonna be Xykon's undead love-mistress about 2 minutes after he hits town ...

[/spoiler-prediction]

redmind0
2006-04-04, 08:38 PM
*rubs simian eyes*

Maybe I started something.

Now thats what I call a comic.

WNxArrakis
2006-04-04, 08:57 PM
So are swords the hobgoblin cultural thing? I thought maces where more their thing. However, every zombie and hobgoblin has been equiped with a sword (at least in the front two rows).

Arrakis

Kord
2006-04-04, 09:06 PM
For some reason, Xykon just looks really weird flying on a dragon.

CommanderFalken
2006-04-04, 10:01 PM
Can someone confirm that the ones with fangs and red eyes are the ghouls? They look kinda like vamps, and I got confused.

Let's see...

Here. (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=107)

Gefangnis
2006-04-04, 10:20 PM
An OOTS background using the splash page, for your using pleasure.

That is, as long as it's ok with Rich (It does have the copyright info)

http://firyou.farvista.net/OOTSBackground.jpeg (copy and paste)

Evik
2006-04-04, 10:22 PM
awesome way to end :)
love the last shot

"So help me, if you make me sail a ship made of hobgoblin corpses across the ocean, I will find a way to make you pay."--Redcloak <--Super Chuckle LOL

infiniteviking
2006-04-04, 10:30 PM
"Redcloak! Report!"

Am I just a truly rabid Shadow fan, or is that a subtle reference to the Master of Darkness demanding reports from his agentry? ..Had to ask. ;)

"..on color-coded parchments...." Bwahahahahaha.

Darn you, Giant. You're making me respect Redcloak! He's talking back to Xyklon and everything! Redcloak character development? Yays.

What's so special about Azure City? Yeah, it has a gate, but Xyklon seems particularly excited about conquering that city... has Miko been harassing him too? ;D I hope she doesn't get zombified... she's more aggravating effective in her current role.

Great end to the story arc! Now I'm going to go back and read it again.....

(Wait a minute. It's the end of the story arc? Does that mean Vaarsuvius is calling his agent? Noooooooo!!!!)

Ooo, that is just so wrong.... XD XD XD

bluish_wolf
2006-04-04, 10:51 PM

That doesn't work as a wallpaper, per say, because it's to large vertically and doesn't fit on the screen. If you wanted to do it, you would have to crop the picture. Maybe something like this: http://img98.imageshack.us/my.php?image=topoots03007ti.jpg

Of course, you would have to superimpose the watermark for copyright reasons.

TinSoldier
2006-04-04, 10:58 PM
Miko's going to have a Paladingasm at the thought of smiting this much evil.BoooYaahh!

Arkadian
2006-04-04, 11:30 PM
Rich...truly awesome.

considering getting the books now.

the book i'd definitely get would be the OotS D20/D&D Supplimental Guide....hmm...possible idea there....wonder if you could pitch it to Wizards...hah!

Nerd-o-rama
2006-04-05, 02:44 AM
I don't normally post in the daily threads, but I just wanted to compliment, no, congratulate the Giant on that last panel. Sheer evil gorgeousness, expecially the dragon. Love the transparency effect on the wings. And the individually detailed horde o' minions. Awesome.

I don't care if they can't attack and stay aloft at the same time; somehow, someway, there will be a zombie dragon involved in a game I'm in, preferably being ridden by a blackguard.

infiniteviking
2006-04-05, 04:24 AM
The wings are transparent? Didn't notice that.... *checks* Wow, they are! And it makes the dragon even more ominous. Nice, subtle effect.

Kudos on the little details, Giant! They make the comic come alive.

Wiggle
2006-04-05, 05:08 AM
What's so special about Azure City? Yeah, it has a gate, but Xyklon seems particularly excited about conquering that city... has Miko been harassing him too? ;D I hope she doesn't get zombified... she's more aggravating effective in her current role.

[spoiler prediction]
I'd actually put a reasonable amount of GP on suggesting that Miko will be captured/killed/converted whatever during the Great Azure Siege and will remain an antagonist to OOTS (hopefully as a Lord Soth style blackguard)
[/spoiler prediction]

Neopolis
2006-04-05, 05:15 AM
Wow, love the non-Dracolich Zombie dragon. And Redcloak too, he's growing a spine. Compare Redcloak of now to this (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=95)Redcloak.

Ilaun_Undil
2006-04-05, 07:18 AM
Great news, I heard that the Giant is hiring more extras for the next Comic!!! JK Can't wait till the Book comes out though. There goes more money into something that I'll cherish ;)

Adder
2006-04-05, 07:34 AM
For some strange reason I suddenly think that Readcloak is the cutest minion since Count Rochefort ;D

Congratulations to a great page.

Kizor
2006-04-05, 09:43 AM
You know, it occurs to me that I had a ship of fallen foes once. Our party's druid effectively warped an entire pirate ship, and we pretty much used the bodies as little rowboats to get the flotsam. Good times.

"No man is an island.
But if you tie a whole lot of dead bodies together, they make a pretty good raft."

Mute
2006-04-05, 10:36 AM
"No man is an island.
But if you tie a whole lot of dead bodies together, they make a pretty good raft."

Stop it, you're giving me Watchmen flashbacks. Which leaves me to wonder if the Giant got his inspiration from there.

SpoonlessJedi
2006-04-05, 10:46 AM
Aww, man. I wanted to see the hobgoblin carcass vessel.

Rock on, Giant.

crownless_kiya
2006-04-05, 10:52 AM
Goodies, there's a war ahead! *wonders which side to pick*

but...

Am I the only one who misses a pink hello-kitty umbrella in the final picture?

The Doctor
2006-04-05, 11:19 AM
Am I the only one who misses a pink hello-kitty umbrella in the final picture?

No, I missed it too... it would have made a totally-out-of-place yet quite right break in the troops gathered up to march towards Azure City.
But it isn't there.
Then again, it might take the CitD some time to figure out that war is breaking out and everyone has move on...

"What gate?"

crownless_kiya
2006-04-05, 11:28 AM
Then again, it might take the CitD some time to figure out that war is breaking out and everyone has move on...

"What gate?"

Hmm... got a point there.

Vargtass
2006-04-05, 12:13 PM
Also, perhaps he really had to go, even before Xykon reminded the rest.

Holy_Knight
2006-04-05, 01:51 PM
Like everyone has said, great job once again, Giant. I literally said "Whoa!!" (yes, with two exclamation points) over the splash panel, and Redcloak's line about the corpse-ship is a real gem. I'm rather frightened for the Order and Azure City now, and can't wait to see how this all unfolds!

Melnor
2006-04-05, 01:59 PM
I was looking over the most recent comic again and it hit me:
If Xylon can regro his undead body, AND clothes, why couldn't he regro a crown? He would certainly be more intimidating with it. Or is it perhaps to remind himself of the OoTS, which defeated him the first time? Perhaps he has vowed to never wear a crown again until he has slain his arch enemies? I never really took Xylon to be that type--his pride is big enough, but not his honor.

SteveMB
2006-04-05, 02:44 PM
Something to keep in mind with the clerics in Azure city, Redcloak is also a cleric, a fairly powerful one to boot. Thus he can Bolster Undead!
As seen in #113 (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=113).

Kanashimi
2006-04-05, 03:07 PM

I don't think he'll like that too much. He's said flat out not to copy and use his stuff. If he wants to make a wallpaper out of it, he may use it as a paypal incentive, like the other wallpapers he has created. Keep in mind this is his IP here.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2006-04-05, 03:16 PM
Hmm... How is Redcloak controlling more than 730 HD worth of undead? His limit should be around 52.

mimicgogo
2006-04-05, 03:27 PM
Something that we've mostly failed to note thus far is Xykon's immediate and passionate reaction to the "one city they get to conquer". He must have some major major beef with the city in blue. What can it be?

kradman
2006-04-05, 03:49 PM
sorry i dont get this, so there will be a 301 right? im just confused on the end of story arch thingy... so not bitching about lateness(its not late blah blah blah) just wondering if there is one :) :-[

Solmage
2006-04-05, 04:12 PM
Truly loved the comic!

Btw, I also want a nice poster.

Hmm. I'm sure they'll need a few new names for their new city. Anyone want to contribute any? :) (And no, "Die Miko Die" and "Miko's Last Stand" are not good city names :-P )

(Besides, I'm sure.. erm.. hopeful.. erm.. maybe.. that Miko won't even be there when it happens. So there. Hmph)

Solmage
2006-04-05, 04:14 PM
Something that we've mostly failed to note thus far is Xykon's immediate and passionate reaction to the "one city they get to conquer". He must have some major major beef with the city in blue. What can it be?

I simply assumed that a city full of pesky paladins would be particularly tempeting to obliterate.

On the other hand, maybe they both hate Blue 8-).

bluish_wolf
2006-04-05, 04:31 PM
I was looking over the most recent comic again and it hit me:
If Xylon can regro his undead body, AND clothes, why couldn't he regro a crown? He would certainly be more intimidating with it. Or is it perhaps to remind himself of the OoTS, which defeated him the first time? Perhaps he has vowed to never wear a crown again until he has slain his arch enemies? I never really took Xylon to be that type--his pride is big enough, but not his honor.

More likely Redcloak grabed his clothes before he fled. I doubt he regrew them.

GypsyThorn
2006-04-05, 04:41 PM
So, we've got a horde on the march. Can't the horde wave their collective hand and arrive immediately at Azure City, vis a vis http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=155? Well? Good for the goose, good for the gander!

mdsoze
2006-04-05, 04:58 PM
Clearly, as was previously stated here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=145):

They will have one random encounter before reaching their destination.

Steward
2006-04-05, 05:50 PM
So, we've got a horde on the march. Can't the horde wave their collective hand and arrive immediately at Azure City, vis a vis http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=155? Well? Good for the goose, good for the gander!

How? Haley's power makes it turn to night. It's not a teleport spell.

atteSmythe
2006-04-05, 05:51 PM
Bonus points: What's the EL of a random encounter for an army of hobgoblins and zombies?

Of course, remember to factor in that any units travelling alongside undead suffer a -1 to morale...oh, wait, wrong game.

Leveller
2006-04-05, 08:02 PM
Bonus points: What's the EL of a random encounter for an army of hobgoblins and zombies?

Of course, remember to factor in that any units travelling alongside undead suffer a -1 to morale...oh, wait, wrong game.

hmm, I dunno if the creature in the shadows comes from the same team as the hobgoblins, in that case they would suffer an additional -1 for mixing three kinds of teams right?

Terrafire
2006-04-05, 08:26 PM
I just realized, Xylon can't make him sail in a boat made of hobgoblin corpses. The fish would eat the boat. :D

DragoonStar47
2006-04-05, 08:34 PM
Sorry for being a spelling freak but.... Xykon*

Great comic, though maybe the scent of the undead and hobgoblins scared them away?

Ilaun_Undil
2006-04-05, 08:36 PM
Well an army of Hobgoblin, or any army is considered to be made up of lvl 1 Fighter at best, except for the few generals and commanders. so when it comes down to it. a mid ranged level charachter can easy take out that many hobgoblins no problem. its a problem of bad misguiding rules. Meaning an army no matter the size could ever take out a Balor or other higher CR creature. Just doesn't work with D&D game mechanics.

dragon-girl07
2006-04-05, 09:05 PM
awsome dragon! (was that a dracolich?)

evileeyore
2006-04-05, 09:18 PM
Sorry for being a spelling freak but.... Xykon*
At least he didn't spell it Zykon (B).

RyanL330
2006-04-05, 09:19 PM

They could...if they were PCs. Since they are not, time is based on the PCs' actions:

-it takes 5 weeks (random number) to travel

-OotS decides to say "after resting for 5 weeks" and advance timeline; so much the better for the evil army.

-Belkar decides to spend 5 weeks whoring and drinking, and enjoy every detail of it; evil army gets to endure 5 weeks of walking.

Jaxinator
2006-04-05, 09:27 PM
Well, I have read many of the posts here (not all by any means) and there are many people with various questions as to the nature of a certain monster, numbers of hit dice for certain things; people questioning "obvious" rule violations, quantum physics, grammer and punctuation...the list goes on.

Maybe it is just me, but I think over-analyzing this strip takes a lot of the fun out of it. With so many questions about relatively minor details, I would think that those asking may be in danger of high blood presure.

This strip is, as far as I can tell, a parady on FRPG's, and really shouldn't be taken so seriously.

Just go with it, and enjoy the show :)

geez3r
2006-04-05, 09:32 PM
well if we want to geek up a CR rating for this encounter....

we know that Xylon has about 88 legions of hobgoblins, with 300 each give or take, giving him a total of roughly 26400 hobgoblins. This is assuming that all hobgoblins are combatants of course.

We have also learned that 341 hobgoblins are recently decreased, bringing the total down to 26059 hobgoblins.

Also, the ghoul horde has increased by 315 members, and redcloak's use of the word "swelled" means we can assumme that this is a great increase. I'll guess-timate that the army has 375 ghouls.

Then there are the zombies. We'll assume the vast majority of the zombies are goblinoid in origin. Since most of the zombies were wiped out previously, and Xylon/ Redcloak can only cast "animate dead" or similar spells a limited munber of times per day, lets assume that there's only about 100 goblinoid zombies. There is also a number of zombie celestial creatures, but as there is only 4 of them shown in the illustraion and we're dealing with an entire army, they're negigable number.

Then the dragon zombie.... hmm, it bears resemblance to the black dragon earlier so I'll say that it is a black dragon (that and I'm a little biased on the situacion, *look left*). Because it was made with the animate dead spell it can't have more than 10 HD so it's at most a young dragon.

Then red cloak and Xylon. I'm going to say that redcloak probably has about 12 levels in cleric and Xylon has about 16 levels in cleric. I do not want to start a class/level debate, I'm saying that is what I personally believe their levels to be around.

Now for the tally:

26059 hobgoblins, CR 1/2 each

375 ghouls, CR 1 each

100 goblinoid zombies CR 1/4 each

1 dragon zombie CR 6

Xylon CR 18

Redcloak CR 12

Encounter level.... Do'h. note to self: make sure encounter calculator can do huge calculations before spending a half hour talking to self to figure out calculations, if anyone wants to use this to geek up a CR, feel free.

And on that note, don't over analize, it is a bad idea.

Great comic btw.

NovaNightmare
2006-04-05, 10:23 PM
Recovering the ability to type... Great comic! Yay horde of hobgoblins and undead + large human city stuck up paladins (at least 1 for sure) = Action, combat, chaos and terror. ... Sounds fun!

I will enjoy waiting to see how this turns out!

Oh! I know there is no mention of it but if some or all the hobgoblins have trained a bit, their general CR could be much higher, (example, a hobgoblin elite guard or something) and are the catapults just standard or slightly enhanced?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D edited: smily faces what the....... why?

Duraska
2006-04-05, 10:39 PM
Hey Giant. Great story arc. Is the "boat made of corpses" a reference to what happened on the first season of HBO's awesome series Rome?

I've been away for a while but heck, that just means I got to read a whole bunch of new (to me) comics at once. Like 8 of them. Pretty sweet!

mec
2006-04-05, 10:42 PM

The undead ones each have unique head scars. That's quality! ;D

Hurlbut
2006-04-05, 11:06 PM
well if we want to geek up a CR rating for this encounter....

we know that Xylon has about 88 legions of hobgoblins, with 300 each give or take, giving him a total of roughly 26400 hobgoblins. This is assuming that all hobgoblins are combatants of course.

We have also learned that 341 hobgoblins are recently decreased, bringing the total down to 26059 hobgoblins.

Also, the ghoul horde has increased by 315 members, and redcloak's use of the word "swelled" means we can assumme that this is a great increase. I'll guess-timate that the army has 375 ghouls.

Then there are the zombies. We'll assume the vast majority of the zombies are goblinoid in origin. Since most of the zombies were wiped out previously, and Xylon/ Redcloak can only cast "animate dead" or similar spells a limited munber of times per day, lets assume that there's only about 100 goblinoid zombies. There is also a number of zombie celestial creatures, but as there is only 4 of them shown in the illustraion and we're dealing with an entire army, they're negigable number.

Then the dragon zombie.... hmm, it bears resemblance to the black dragon earlier so I'll say that it is a black dragon (that and I'm a little biased on the situacion, *look left*). Because it was made with the animate dead spell it can't have more than 10 HD so it's at most a young dragon.

Then red cloak and Xylon. I'm going to say that redcloak probably has about 12 levels in cleric and Xylon has about 16 levels in cleric. I do not want to start a class/level debate, I'm saying that is what I personally believe their levels to be around.

Now for the tally:

26059 hobgoblins, CR 1/2 each

375 ghouls, CR 1 each

100 goblinoid zombies CR 1/4 each

1 dragon zombie CR 6

Xylon CR 18

Redcloak CR 12

Encounter level.... Do'h. note to self: make sure encounter calculator can do huge calculations before spending a half hour talking to self to figure out calculations, if anyone wants to use this to geek up a CR, feel free.

And on that note, don't over analize, it is a bad idea.

Great comic btw.

Don't forget the dead good creatures in the tower that were zombified (including that zombie dragon you counted) like the angels and such.

Dugray
2006-04-05, 11:08 PM
Is the comic for today gonna be late? Don't recall seeing Giant saying anything about it.

Blaznak
2006-04-05, 11:14 PM
Maybe it is just me, but I think over-analyzing this strip takes a lot of the fun out of it. With so many questions about relatively minor details, I would think that those asking may be in danger of high blood presure.

This strip is, as far as I can tell, a parady on FRPG's, and really shouldn't be taken so seriously.

Just go with it, and enjoy the show :)

I tend to have this philosophy as well. So... I usually bifurcate my mind into the "Just enjoy the comic" and "Browse the message board and be fascinated in the minutia I didn't realize existed in the minds of gamers!"

Huh, I just used "bifurcate" and "minutia".
Must be time for bed...

Bilbo27
2006-04-05, 11:21 PM
If you say make a ship out of hobgoblin corpses so help me....

Classic.

Loved it Giant. 300 is awesome, can't wait to buy the new book. where is 301?

Darkspear
2006-04-05, 11:39 PM
If you say make a ship out of hobgoblin corpses so help me....

Classic.

Loved it Giant. 300 is awesome, can't wait to buy the new book. where is 301?

He has 21 minutes.

Django
2006-04-05, 11:48 PM
Theres something intangible about Redcloak's little smile in the splash panel that I absolutely love. It seems to convey a lot- pride, self-satisfaction, confidence.

I'm probably reading a bit into a curved line and two white triangles, but hey.

Holy_Knight
2006-04-06, 02:36 AM
I tend to have this philosophy as well. So... I usually bifurcate my mind into the "Just enjoy the comic" and "Browse the message board and be fascinated in the minutia I didn't realize existed in the minds of gamers!"

Huh, I just used "bifurcate" and "minutia".
Must be time for bed...

I believe it's "minutiae", with an "e". :D

jmaccabeus
2006-04-06, 12:40 PM
I believe it's "minutiae", with an "e". :D

Maybe he's referring to a specific example, in which case it would be the singular minutia. ;)