PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Can I get some build help For a Dual weapon Wielder Sorcadin

Nosta
2019-04-21, 03:06 PM
I Would like some Advice on Building a Paladin/Sorcerer Starting at level 5

I want the character to dual Wield Either long swords
or Katana's (Do katana's even exist in 5e?)

I am unsure of my Race and my levels
But am thinking something like Paladin 2 then sorcerer 3 and from there Idk?

Also unsure of the Sub-class for my sorcerer levels
Dragon is always cool but i am wondering if there;s something i'll get more miles out of in the long run

strangebloke
2019-04-21, 03:39 PM
Sorcadin is somewhat awkward at that level.

My advice would be to start out as a straight paladin, multiclassing only after level six. TWF only works with the attack action and if you don't have five levels of paladin your attack action will be pretty meh.

Dragon sorcerer is generally the best Gish here though.

bid
2019-04-21, 03:42 PM
Sorcadin works best with a 2-hander weapon. This leaves you with a free hand for casting and take advantage of BB.

You can only TWF if you take the attack action, which means you can't use BB.
You will need dual wielder feat to use non-light weapons such as longswords.
You cannot cast many spell with weapons in both hands, you might need warcaster.
You will take defense fighting style since paladin don't get TWF style.

Therefore, you should start something close to:
Half-elf 16 10 14 10 10 16, get defense at paladin 2 and DW at paladin 4 for AC20.
Then sorcerer 1 might be better than paladin 5, depending on which cantrips/spells you want to take.

Nosta
2019-04-21, 03:44 PM
Sorcadin is somewhat awkward at that level.

My advice would be to start out as a straight paladin, multiclassing only after level six. TWF only works with the attack action and if you don't have five levels of paladin your attack action will be pretty meh.

Dragon sorcerer is generally the best Gish here though.

can you help me set up a build?
I am still unsure of a few things coming from
3.5 / PF

Like What would be Decent Ac for me At level 5 for this particular type of build

Crgaston
2019-04-21, 03:45 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?502673-Unlimited-Blade-Works-The-Guide-to-the-Ultimate-Paladin-Sorcerer-Multiclass

^^^ This is a really good guide that should give you lots of ideas.

Dragon Sorcerers shine more on Dex builds, and if your plan is to be wielding dual longswords (or longswords refluffed as katanas) eventually, you'll want strength. Or you could use Dex and refluff rapiers as katanas, but you'd still need a 13 Str to multiclass as a paladin, so Str is typically your better path.

How flexible will your DM be? Paladins don't get the TWF fighting style so you'll either need a level of fighter or DM approval, or just take Defense FS for +1 AC and not worry about the offhand stat bonus... the extra smite will make up for it when you really need it. You'll also need the Dual Wielder feat to uses non-light weapons, but this also comes with a +1 AC.

The pros and cons of the various archetypes and level splits are explained in the guide so I won't rehash them here.

Good luck!

(edit: multi-ninjaed!)

Nosta
2019-04-21, 03:45 PM
Sorcadin works best with a 2-hander weapon. This leaves you with a free hand for casting and take advantage of BB.

You can only TWF if you take the attack action, which means you can't use BB.
You will need dual wielder feat to use non-light weapons such as longswords.
You cannot cast many spell with weapons in both hands, you might need warcaster.
You will take defense fighting style since paladin don't get TWF style.

Therefore, you should start something close to:
Half-elf 16 10 14 10 10 16, get defense at paladin 2 and DW at paladin 4 for AC20.
Then sorcerer 1 might be better than paladin 5, depending on which cantrips/spells you want to take.

Sorry for my slowness But "DW" ?

Nosta
2019-04-21, 03:52 PM
Unless it is Uber Haxed / Game altering
He will normally hand wave stuff like Classes not getting Certain Fighting styles

bid
2019-04-21, 03:59 PM
Sorry for my slowness But "DW" ?
Dual wielder, the feat that allows non-light weapons to TWF.

bid
2019-04-21, 04:13 PM
Unless it is Uber Haxed / Game altering
He will normally hand wave stuff like Classes not getting Certain Fighting styles
If your GM supports dexadin as "MC requirement" and TWF style, you can also:
Half-elf 10 16 14 10 10 16, get TWF style at paladin 2 and Dex18 at paladin 4 for AC17. You'll have to use shortsword reskinned as katana, though.
Paladin 4 / draconic 1 means you don't need armor with AC13+Dex, if you go for that RP concept.

Or vuman 8 16 14 8 10 16 to have an extra feat for DW or warcaster (shield spell).

sithlordnergal
2019-04-21, 04:26 PM
Things to know before I give my advice:

- DW is Dual Wielder, its a must have feat for anyone who wishes to dual wield.

- TWF is Two Weapon Fighting, its a fighting style that is also a must have

So, first thing's first, you're gonna want to be a Variant Human and take Dual Wielder as your feat. This will allow you to add +1 to your AC when dual wielding, you can use any melee weapon for dual wielding, and you to draw or stow two weapons instead of one as a free action. This feat is absolutely required for dual wielding builds.

Next, I'd actually grab one level of Fighter and take Defense as your Paladin fighting style, and Two-Weapon Fighting as your Fighter fighting style. Defense gives you a +1 to AC, and mixed with Dual Wielder will give you the equivalent of a non-magical shield. That said, TWF isn't as needed as DW though, so you can technically skip it. All TWF does is allow you to add your ability modifier to that extra attack. Since you're a Soradin your damage comes from smiting, not ability mods.

Finally, you need War Caster. It will allow you to cast with both of your hands full.

I would go Paladin 6 before multiclassing though, as it gives you Extra Attack and Charisma to saves. These are two major boosts to your paladin, and should not be skipped. Thankfully you don't need Booming Blade or Green Flame Blade, since your bonus action is being taken by the extra attack dual wielding gives.

As for the Sorcerer, I'd either go Celestial Sorcerer, which gives you Cleric spells and will eventually give you Spirit Guardians, or Wild Magic. Draconic Sorcerer is...nice...but it sucks for Soradins. Draconic gives you:

13+Dex AC...which is instantly replaced by Heavy Armor.
Expertise on Charisma Checks when interacting with your chosen Dragon type. Not bad, but a bit too narrow to be of great use. The Bard will be better then you.
You can add your Charisma modifier to any spell that deals damage that is the same type as your associated Dragon, and you can spend 1 Sorcery point to gain resistance to that damage type. Not bad, but it has three issues. First, you're probably going to spend more spell slots smiting and buffing then you are throwing fireballs. Second, this is gonna come online at level 12 or later. Finally, you can gain resistance to far more things at the cost of a single level spell slot with Absorb Elements
If you manage to get the last ability, it is nice...but it will require specially made armor to be used. And unless your DM is really nice, you might not find Magic Plate Armor with wing holes. Plus you should have ways to fly by then

Celestial Sorcerer would fit far better for a Soradin, especially since you can get Spirit Guardians and Fireball once you reach 5th level Sorcerer.

strangebloke
2019-04-21, 04:59 PM
can you help me set up a build?
I am still unsure of a few things coming from
3.5 / PF

Like What would be Decent Ac for me At level 5 for this particular type of build

Sure.

I'll give you what I think is a decent option, but first I'll answer your general question.

"A good AC" is dependent on your level and what your role is. Assuming fifth level, backline characters can get away with 15 or so and be pretty much fine, although I wouldn't want to have any lower than that. DPR characters, who go to the frontlines but generally try to avoid getting surrounded, will want something like 17 at this level. Finally, there are what I call "Hardened Frontliners." These characters will be surrounded frequently and may even have class features to force the enemy to attack them. They'll want to have 20 to 22 AC by this point.

Powerful defensive features like Rage, Mirror Image, and Uncanny Dodge greatly change this calculus.
Having more AC is always good, and if you get higher AC, your role can shift.

Anyway, the build:

Vhuman Ancients Paladin 5 (take paladin to 6, then go for dragon sorcerer)
Str:16
Dex: 10
Con: 14
Int: 8
Cha: 8
Wis: 16

Starting Feat: Duel Wielder
Weapon style: Defense (don't listen to the folks suggesting a level of fighter for two-weapon fighting style. It isn't worth taking a whole level of a class just for +3 damage a turn.)
Level 4 ASI: +2 CHA

Summary: This build is pretty basic, but effective. You'll have high AC (20) and respectable DPR. You'll have a mount when you want it and good spells like misty step to boost your mobility. When you get sorcerer levels you'll want to pick up quicken metamagic so that you can eventually do things like restrain enemies with vines and then quicken a fireball onto them. One decent trick for you at level 5 is to pre-buff with divine favor before the fight starts to rack up some very respectable damage. Once you finally do go sorcerer, be sure to pick up the spells shield and absorb elements.

If you want to do the paladin 2/ sorcerer x split, you can. My only warning there is that it really doesn't play nice with two weapon fighting so if that's a core part of your character then maybe stick with my level five build. Sorcadins that never get to paladin 5 generally are missing lots of damage unless they use the blade cantrips (green flame blade and booming blade). Those spells are great, but you can't use them with two-weapon fighting at all.

ChiefBigFeather
2019-04-21, 07:13 PM
I want the character to dual Wield Either long swords
or Katana's (Do katana's even exist in 5e?)

Not really. Thankfully the japanese saber overhype is over. I'd suggest using the scimitar as baseline, as it is the other one handed, single bladed weapon the the PHB. Maybe add the versatile (d8) trait and make it a martial weapon.