PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Do spell effects confer through to druid wild shape?

Brimlock
2019-04-21, 07:20 PM
If a druid in humanoid form is benefiting from (say) the Darkvision or Water Breathing spell, then transforms into a wild shape that lacks the spell-conferred benefit (say, a black bear or a Plesiosaurus), do they continue to enjoy the benefit in beast form?

We may as well get answers to this question more broadly, with respect to all 5e status effects. I would expect a druid hit with Bestow Curse to continue to suffer the curse’s ill effects post-transformation. I would also expect that wild shape wouldn’t remove Conditions, such as Charmed, Invisible, Fatigued, Blinded, etc.

What are the official rules one these matters?

PhoenixPhyre
2019-04-21, 07:24 PM
If a druid in humanoid form is benefiting from (say) the Darkvision or Water Breathing spell, then transforms into a wild shape that lacks the spell-conferred benefit (say, a black bear or a Plesiosaurus), do they continue to enjoy the benefit in beast form?

We may as well get answers to this question more broadly, with respect to all 5e status effects. I would expect a druid hit with Bestow Curse to continue to suffer the curse’s ill effects post-transformation. I would also expect that wild shape wouldn’t remove Conditions, such as Charmed, Invisible, Fatigued, Blinded, etc.

What are the official rules one these matters?

I'm not sure about official rules, but in general yes. Unless the type change creates an illegal situation (which is rare as far as I can tell), spells and conditions aren't canceled by wildshape. If you're cursed and you transform into a bear, you're a cursed bear. In order for it to be different, the wild shape ability would have to say so. Which it doesn't. So...

stoutstien
2019-04-22, 02:21 PM
Spell effects carry over unless there's a clear reason why they don't work such as magical weapon.

The real question is if you shift into a form that has immunity to a condition does it automatically get rid of it or just suppresses it.

Rukelnikov
2019-04-22, 02:27 PM
If you are under the Charm Person spell, and wildshape into a bear, you are no longer charmed, cause your type is now Beast.

If you are under Charm Monster, you are still charmed, cause your change hasn't rendered you an invalid target for it.

Same with other spells and effects.

nickl_2000
2019-04-22, 02:33 PM
I don't see why wildshaping into a form that is immune to exhausted wouldn't temporarily suspend the condition.

I'm exhausted and poisoned and then I wildshape into a Fire Elemental, which is immune to exhaustion. I'm no longer suffering from the effects of exhaustion or poison. After 3 minutes I get knocked out of Fire Elemental Form and back into my caster form, I'm once again exhausted and poisoned. So, the conditions didn't go away, they were just suppressed for a little while.

Dalebert
2019-04-22, 02:56 PM
The roles don't really go into how to handle changing such that you're an invalid target of a spell. I think a reasonable ruling is suppression while invalid and it renews when valid again.

Puh Laden
2019-04-22, 04:35 PM
If you are under the Charm Person spell, and wildshape into a bear, you are no longer charmed, cause your type is now Beast.

I'd personally be fine with a DM ruling either way in this case. The reason I'm fine with Charm Person not being removed is because it's somewhat similar to how the effect of a spell such as bane or bless doesn't end when the target is no longer in range. Plus, you still retain your mental stats. So even if you're no longer a valid target for a new casting of charm person, it may not mean that it's ended. If the form is immune to charm though, it makes sense that it suppresses.

Zigludo
2019-04-22, 05:00 PM
Yes, they do. Common strategies for Druids of the Circle of the Moon include casting Mage Armor or Barkskin on oneself before using Wildshape.

Spell effects carry over unless there's a clear reason why they don't work such as magical weapon.

You would still be able to concentrate on Magical Weapon while wild shaped. You just (probably) wouldn't be able to use the weapon yourself.

NaughtyTiger
2019-04-22, 05:00 PM

If you are under Charm Monster, you are still charmed, cause your change hasn't rendered you an invalid target for it.

Same with other spells and effects.

Polymorph you are a beast,
Wildshape you are still humanoid and a beast/elemental.

I understand the "your statistics are replaced by the beast statistics" reference, but that is in contention with "You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race"
humanoid is a racial feature.

Dalebert
2019-04-22, 08:56 PM
Let's say you Disguise Self from Firbolg to elf. Then you wildshape into a tressym. Disguise Self can't make a tressym look like an elf so is it suppressed during that time or dispelled? I think most DMs will say suppressed and that you look like an elf when you turn back.

So here's another take. Let's say you cast Disguise Self as a firbolg to look like a pseudo-dragon. It's beyond the power of Disguise Self to make a firbolg look like a pseudo-dragon. But lets say you then turn into a tressym. Do you look like a pseudo-dragon?

Galithar
2019-04-22, 09:36 PM
So here's another take. Let's say you cast Disguise Self as a firbolg to look like a pseudo-dragon. It's beyond the power of Disguise Self to make a firbolg look like a pseudo-dragon. But lets say you then turn into a tressym. Do you look like a pseudo-dragon?

I would rule that you don't. My reasoning is because the initial casting of Disguise Self was invalid and therefore failed to take effect. Thus there is no spell effect there to make you look like a pseudo dragon after changing into a tressym.

Rukelnikov
2019-04-23, 12:24 AM
I'd personally be fine with a DM ruling either way in this case. The reason I'm fine with Charm Person not being removed is because it's somewhat similar to how the effect of a spell such as bane or bless doesn't end when the target is no longer out of range. Plus, you still retain your mental stats. So even if you're no longer a valid target for a new casting of charm person, it may not mean that it's ended. If the form is immune to charm though, it makes sense that it suppresses.

You do have a point, if your mind is "still the same" you could still be under its effects... Idk, I'm gonna think it some more.

Polymorph you are a beast,
Wildshape you are still humanoid and a beast/elemental.

I understand the "your statistics are replaced by the beast statistics" reference, but that is in contention with "You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race"

I don't think creature type is a feature, its not listed under the "Elf Traits" that they are humanoid.

NaughtyTiger
2019-04-23, 08:53 AM
I don't think creature type is a feature, its not listed under the "Elf Traits" that they are humanoid.
that is a fair point... but it is listed somewhere, otherwise how can charm person affect an Elf PC?

tieren
2019-04-23, 09:30 AM
I'd be careful with Blindness though. I think it is perfectly valid to try to circumvent being the victim of a blindness spell by wildshaping into a beat with blind sight, like a bat or something.

Yunru
2019-04-23, 09:33 AM

Counter point: Being vulnerable to something isn't a benefit, and you only retain benefits.

NaughtyTiger
2019-04-23, 09:41 AM
Counter point: Being vulnerable to something isn't a benefit, and you only retain benefits.

Good point there, too.

Although, you do lose darkvision, so there are exceptions to the benefit thing.