PDA

View Full Version : Grasp of Hadar, Repelling Blast, and Create Bonfire

Mercurias
2019-04-22, 01:48 PM
While playing with D&D Beyond's Character Creator, I recalled the "Resourceless Output" section of this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23809998&postcount=14), in which Thorn Whip was used with Create Bonfire to multiply cantrip damage without burning spell slots.

I was wondering if it would be possible to take that to the next level with the Warlock Invocations Repelling Blast and Grasp of Hadar.

I'm sure this can't be correct, but my reading of the invocations seemed to imply I could blast a target away from me and the Bonfire with Repelling Blast, then drag it back through the Bonfire again with Grasp of Hadar for a total of 2d10+2d8 at level 5 before accounting for the bonus from Agonizing Blast.

By level 17 it would be 4d10+4d8+20, which is a very slight damage increase over Hex without the cost of a spell slot.

If this were legal, would it be worth holding onto?

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-22, 01:51 PM
While playing with D&D Beyond's Character Creator, I recalled the "Resourceless Output" section of this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23809998&postcount=14), in which Thorn Whip was used with Create Bonfire to multiply cantrip damage without burning spell slots.

I was wondering if it would be possible to take that to the next level with the Warlock Invocations Repelling Blast and Grasp of Hadar.

I'm sure this can't be correct, but my reading of the invocations seemed to imply I could blast a target away from me and the Bonfire with Repelling Blast, then drag it back through the Bonfire again with Grasp of Hadar for a total of 2d10+2d8 at level 5 before accounting for the bonus from Agonizing Blast.

By level 17 it would be 4d10+4d8+20, which is a very slight damage increase over Hex without the cost of a spell slot.

Create Bonfire deals damage in these conditions:

You cast the spell on a creature's location
A creature enters the bonfire the first time in a turn
A creature ends his turn in the Bonfire

Keep in mind that the designer's intent is that "enter" does not mean "voluntarily enter". So you can push someone into Bonfire/Moonbeam and it'll work just fine, but it can only do so once every turn.
So you can reposition the creature into your Bonfire for an extra activation, but that'd be all you get out of it. Still a good option if you were out of spell slots, but not exactly game breaking. I'd probably combine it with something like Sorcerer's Quicken Spell, since that build relies on you for spamming Eldritch Blast anyway.

Dalebert
2019-04-22, 09:24 PM
It's nice now and then but I found it a trickier combo to pull off than you might think based on you and your enemies being in just the right positions for it. I made a villain fight based on a boss who had several bonfires going and would use Thorn Whip to pull people into the fire. Despite having a short range teleport as a legendary action, I pulled it off either rarely or not at all. i can't remember for sure.

Shuruke
2019-04-22, 09:29 PM
Since its once per turn

Sorlock casts eldritch blast (with repelling) as bonus action for create bonfire damage as enemy is pushed through

With action u hold action to cast eldritch blast (with the grasp invocation) to pull them back through on a separate turn

JackPhoenix
2019-04-23, 05:21 AM
Since its once per turn

Sorlock casts eldritch blast (with repelling) as bonus action for create bonfire damage as enemy is pushed through

With action u hold action to cast eldritch blast (with the grasp invocation) to pull them back through on a separate turn

Create Bonfire requires concentration. Readying a spell requires concentration. If you try to ready Eldritch Blast, the bonfire would end.

Shuruke
2019-04-23, 06:53 AM
Create Bonfire requires concentration. Readying a spell requires concentration. If you try to ready Eldritch Blast, the bonfire would end.

True missed that part

Looks like blast and fire will only be triggerable once by you unless u cast e.b as bonus action and hold action to shove with a polearm

Bloodcloud
2019-04-23, 07:59 AM
It would work in spike growth though. Warlock and druid best friends.

Chronos
2019-04-23, 08:27 AM
Now imagine multiple warlocks all using this trick. Two bonfires next to each other, and on each warlock's turn, they push the enemy into the one fire, and pull them back into the other.

But yeah, it's tricky to get the positioning right to make it work, especially if the enemy is for some reason trying to make it not work (and why would they do something annoying like that?).

LudicSavant
2019-04-23, 08:28 AM

Warlocks combo great with Create Bonfire, but you can only activate the Bonfire's "enter" clause once per turn. So you couldn't repel them, then pull them with the same Eldritch Blast to double dip. You could however do it to multiple separate enemies, or have multiple party members do it during a round. It can really add up with teamwork.

trollballz
2019-04-23, 12:43 PM
Man_Over_Game had the right of it.

Additionally Grasp of hadar is once per turn, not on every blast.

Joe the Rat
2019-04-23, 08:35 PM
Now imagine multiple warlocks all using this trick. Two bonfires next to each other, and on each warlock's turn, they push the enemy into the one fire, and pull them back into the other.

But yeah, it's tricky to get the positioning right to make it work, especially if the enemy is for some reason trying to make it not work (and why would they do something annoying like that?).
Out of the frying pan, eh?

The key on all this is remembering the push/pull is up to 10 feet. Keep it tight.