PDA

View Full Version : A subpar but interesting build: Stonechild Crusader into Master of Nine

Particle_Man
2019-04-22, 06:12 PM
I know that Stonechild is underpowered (that +4 LA hurts!) and that Master of Nine is very feat-costly for what it gives you, and that Crusader is not the easy way into that prestige class.

Nonetheless, I felt I should try. :smallsmile:

So, the race does have a few things that help here: The Int bonus is useful because you need 40 ranks of skills as well as the feats. Speaking of feats, the "Favoured Class: Fighter" is useful because 6 levels of fighter gets me the feats I need (plus, Martial Study counts as a fighter bonus feat).

So with Stonechild (6 if monster class, 2 and +LA 4 if not),Fighter 6 (taking the Martial Study feat three times before . . .), Crusader 1 (Hey, I get Thicket of Blades!), Master of Nine 5, and then 2 or 3 levels of Crusader (depending on whether or not LA buy off is allowed), I can make an interesting albeit subpar character. I could even throw in the feats Stand Still, Combat Reflexes, and Extra Granted Maneuver. So a semi-lockdown build (I could take Crushing Vise too).

I would end up with 13 readied maneuvers (10 from Crusader, and 3 "1x/encounter" ones from the Martial Study feats). I would make sure I got the Flame's Blessing stance in case I ever felt the urge to take a lava bath or something. :smallcool:

With a 32 point buy I would probably go: Str 16 (to 24), Dex 14, Con 16 (to 24), Int 14 (to 16), Wis 8 (well it is foolish to go for Master of Nine), and Chr 8 (to 6).

It can be done, if one is willing to pay the price! :smallbiggrin:

Maneuvers known would include:

Martial Study: Wind Stride (at 3rd), Moment of Perfect Mind (at 3rd), Counter Charge (at 4th).
Crusader/Mo9: Thicket of Blades (stance), Mountain Hammer, Stone Vise, Revitalizing Strike, Tactical Strike, White Raven Tactics, Iron Heart Surge, Disarm Strike, Flame's Blessing (stance), Emerald Razor, Claw at the Moon, Lightning Recovery, Hearing the Air (stance), Shadow Stride, Pouncing Charge, Death from Above, Aura of Perfect Order (stance), Crushing Vise.

Then maybe: Ancient Mountain Hammer at level 20 if LA buyoff is allowed, giving up White Raven Tactics (not ideal, but there is not much room for giving up anything else).

tyckspoon
2019-04-22, 06:43 PM
I would strongly consider dipping into one of the other initiator classes for the non-Crusader maneuvers you need rather than spending that many levels in Fighter.. of course, that would be assuming you don't have to worry about multiclass penalties and Favored Classes, because I think they're silly, don't personally use them, and forget that there are people who do apply them :smalltongue: Maybe something like Fighter 2 (take the first couple levels of the Dungeoncrasher ACF or use them for combat maneuver enhancing bonus feats)/Warblade 4 would give a lot more access to maneuvers along with a refresh method for some of the ones you're likely to want to use more than once a fight.

Particle_Man
2019-04-23, 09:17 AM
I am amused by the relative dearth of racial bonus languages for a race with an int bonus. I am locked into common, terran, celestial, dwarven, and ignan! :smallsmile: