PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Time Thief

Marywn
2019-04-22, 09:22 PM
I've been trying to figure out what things I should take starting out this level 1 time thief, and I've never played a Time thief before(THis is a different campaign than my barb question). Anyone have any tips if you have played time thief before?

Thac0 Redeye
2019-04-22, 11:22 PM
I'm not familiar with Time Thief. What book is it in?

StSword
2019-04-22, 11:32 PM
I'm not familiar with Time Thief. What book is it in?

I may be wrong, but I believe this is in reference to the 3PP pathfinder class from Rogue Genius Games.

Which you can view here (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/rogue-genius-games/time-thief/).

Marywn
2019-04-23, 09:37 AM
Yes, I should of clarified it. It peaked my interest due to the fact that I'm in a campaign where you have to be smart or you die, or if your luck with a bot you die.

StSword
2019-04-23, 03:08 PM
Well while I am obviously aware of the Time Thief, I'm afraid I've never actually played one, so I'm afraid I can't really give advice from hard won experience, sorry.

From a purely academic view, though, I'd say time thief is a pretty versatile class, so I'd advise looking to what the other players are bringing to the table. Time Thieves can skill monkey, be strikers, healers, and debuffers.

Healing is a useful talent, but if your group already has healing covered, that's a precious class feature that can be spent on something less redundant, you know?

Marywn
2019-04-23, 03:30 PM
I personally like personal time, It allows me to try something and if it doesn't work then I can restart, which I will be sticking to like glue when I have the chance.

Marywn
2019-04-26, 11:48 AM
I've been thinking.. the problem with time thief is it's lack of damage.. what things could I multiclass into to make time thief better yet still retain that feel

StSword
2019-04-26, 01:38 PM
I suggest checking out Genius Option Masters of Time, it has temporal archetypes for Barbarian (with notes to use it for rogues, gunslingers, and fighters), a cavalier order, the temporal domain for clerics and druids, a druid archetype, magus arcana, a magus archetype, a sorcerer bloodline, witch hexes, and a wizard school.

If you like the idea of time manipulation shenanigans but the time thief doesn't do it for you, then perhaps you'd like a time manipulating magus or druid instead, for example.

And it's a sequel to time thief, so it has new power options for time thieves too.

Marywn
2019-04-26, 02:26 PM
I still want to play Time Thief of course, but I'd love to see the next book to see what else there is

Selion
2019-04-26, 02:58 PM
I didn't know this class, first thing i thought reading it is that it would be the perfect 1-level dip for a spellcaster. Is it possible to have multiple quicken spells in the same round?

StSword
2019-04-26, 11:28 PM
I still want to play Time Thief of course, but I'd love to see the next book to see what else there is

Well in that case there is also the Time Warden, a gishy medium BAB up to 6th spell level class, so the time thief had two sequels really.

I didn't know this class, first thing i thought reading it is that it would be the perfect 1-level dip for a spellcaster. Is it possible to have multiple quicken spells in the same round?

Not that I can recall in pathfinder, in 3x though an epic caster could buy an epic feat to allow one to cast extra quickened spells in a round.

Marywn
2019-04-27, 11:10 AM
I'm not too familiarw with pathfinder's multiclass system, nor some of the classes. I want to be able to reroll and survive as much as possible, wait... isn't there time oracle...

Zaq
2019-04-27, 12:00 PM
I’m no PF expert, so maybe I’m missing something obvious, but when I read through the class at the link provided, my overwhelming impression is that it’s pointed straight at the dreaded “it’s very nice, but what does it DO?” hell.

Like, I agree that Personal Time is a reasonably interesting feature, but what are you doing on rounds where you aren’t taking a do-over, especially considering how infrequently you get to use the ability? The class seems very cautious with its per-day abilities and doesn’t seem to have much else to fall back on in terms of round-by-round functionality. (It’d be a pretty sweet gestalt class, but I’m not convinced from a quick read that it does much as a straight class.)

It’s not helpful to just jump in and tell you not to play this, of course, but I do think it’s helpful to ask exactly what you plan for your character to do. So, what do you want to do with the time thief? What kind of tricks do you want up your sleeve? What do you want to be your primary contribution to the average encounter? How do you envision the character playing round after round? We can probably build on that if you’ve got a strong vision for where you want to go, but in the absence of that kind of strong vision, I can see the character ending up as a collection of little gimmicks without a strong core.

Marywn
2019-04-27, 12:33 PM
Well, As I time thief, I of couse.. want to be steal things, be good at it, as be hard to pin down. I want to be a hit and run sort of playstyle, either stealing weapons from other enemies, or disabling them somehow to help my party while not using the Time thief abilities.

OC this doesn't account for any natural weapon creatures we might encounter, I'm still trying to figure out how i would deal with those.. I'd planned on going ranged, but I know close range combat is the only real option for something like stealing weapons and stuff.

StSword
2019-04-27, 03:01 PM
Well there is a 3PP feat "Sunder Natural Weapon (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/3rd-party-feats/louis-porter-jr-design/general-feats-3rd-party-louis-porter-jr/sunder-natural-weapon/)" which allows you to inflict a minus 4 to hit and a minus 2 to damage to a natural weapon when you inflict a critical hit.

Or perhaps you could talk your DM into allowing for the optional called shots rules (http://legacy.aonprd.com/ultimateCombat/variants/calledShots.html), which would allow you to target limbs and the like to hamper foes.

Considering a time thief can spend motes of time to gain a bonus to hit, time thieves would have an easier time using called shots than their medium BAB would otherwise suggest.

Marywn
2019-04-28, 02:04 AM
I could also take a ranged approach, since Tech is an option in this campaign. I'm not sure on how to use tech in a viable way, like ranged weapons but some tips in combinations with time thiefs abilities would be helpful.