PDA

View Full Version : D&D core books pdf: where can I LEGALLY buy these?

Klorox
2019-04-23, 08:12 AM
I have a friend who’s borrowed my books. He likes this edition more than 4e (which is the only version he’s played), but he doesn’t want to shell the cash out to buy all the core books.

He’d like pdf copies.

Is there a way he can legally buy the PHB, MM, and DMG in pdf format?

nickl_2000
2019-04-23, 08:20 AM
No, there is no legal way to buy PDFs right now, if there ever is it will be published on Dungeon Master's Guild (but likely not). As for whether or not you can have/make a PDF copy of a paper book you own is a question to ask a lawyer.

The onlyOne legal way to get an electronic copy (not PDF) will be from dndbeyond. That is licensed by wizards of the coast and allowed to put official content in it.

EDIT: Apparently there are a few others as mentioned by those below.

Gryndle
2019-04-23, 08:44 AM
I don't know what the actual format is, but cant you buy digital books from D&D Beyond

Ventruenox
2019-04-23, 08:44 AM
The SRD (https://www.5esrd.com/) is legally available for free online. The basic rules with the starter kit can be found for around $20 or less in stores. If your friend chooses to go the illegal route for the pdfs (not recommended), those aren't too difficult to find.

MThurston
2019-04-23, 08:45 AM
Roll20 allows you to buy rules. You Can read them there.

Klorox
2019-04-23, 08:52 AM
Thanks guys. I’ll send him to D&D beyond.

Misterwhisper
2019-04-23, 11:49 AM
Thanks guys. I’ll send him to D&D beyond.

Be advised, it will not be cheap but it is a great resource.

I have both hard copy and DNDBeyond copies of all he books except certain campaigns I have no interest in running.

Sigreid
2019-04-23, 11:53 AM
No, there is no legal way to buy PDFs right now, if there ever is it will be published on Dungeon Master's Guild (but likely not). As for whether or not you can have/make a PDF copy of a paper book you own is a question to ask a lawyer.

The only legal way to get an electronic copy (not PDF) will be from dndbeyond. That is licensed by wizards of the coast and allowed to put official content in it.

This is incorrect. Fantasy Grounds also has a license to sell all the comment for their system, but it does require you to subscribe to their tool.

nickl_2000
2019-04-23, 11:55 AM
This is incorrect. Fantasy Grounds also has a license to sell all the comment for their system, but it does require you to subscribe to their tool.

Thanks, I updated my post.

Sigreid
2019-04-23, 12:00 PM
Thanks, I updated my post.

No worries. If you play via internet, FG is actually a pretty great platform. I prefer it to roll20 personally.