PDA

View Full Version : Original System Rules for a Player-Run Adventurer's Guild - Review Greatly Appreciated

npc revolution
2019-04-23, 10:20 AM
Hi everyone! I'm making a return to the forums after many years away to let you know about a thing I've made for D&D:

A way to let your players run their own adventurer's guild!

If your players are like mine, they hoover up allies without a second thought, and I wanted there to be a fun system for sending them on their own missions, with a degree of HR but quite lightweight to resolve at the table. Well folks, such a system now exists!

The idea is to take every variable about a mission and the team you send, and reduce it all to a single D100 roll, using an online calculator to figure out what happened. Here are the links:

Here is the System Document! (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/S1sQwCB7E)

Here is the probabilities calculator! (https://www.desmos.com/calculator/g8w6cblpxn)

Here is the Mission Bank! (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HJAmU0GmN)

Please let me know what you think of it, especially the missions currently in the mission bank. I think the lack of available missions is the only thing keeping me from calling this a 1.0 basically-finished thing, and I'd love to have some confidence in the direction I'm going with them at this point before hurrying to write up the rest I have in mind.

Clarity is something I'm concerned about, also. If you have any problems understanding what I mean in any part of this, please let me know!

A common feedback is that this is a bulky solution to kind of a non-problem, which I can totally empathise with! This is meant to be a deep little side-system for the party member with a taste for HR. I'm currently working on printable sheets to help these players keep track of their adventurers.

Thanks for taking a look!

snafuy
2019-05-18, 09:56 PM
You put a lot of effort into the math and the mission collection, but it needs a LOT more explanation how it's supposed to work at the table. Those lone paragraphs are not sufficient.

You already know exactly what your own project does.
Your players probably get most of it.
Us out here have never seen it before.

I'm a math person, and seeing a hyperbolic function in the second paragraph was a huge turnoff. Lots and lots of D&D players won't know what you're talking about AT ALL. If you want people to see how the math works, move it to a sidebar, and go full math with it (e.g. Mathematica, LaTeX). The body text is for word-based explanation.

Great Dragon
2019-05-19, 10:27 PM
While my finding a constant Group that would be interested in running Guild(s) is not likely; As the (usual) DM, I can say that the "Bank" is a nice place to get Adventure Ideas from.

Preventing "Crimes" can also be used for (Urban-based) Social games, with only occasional combat.
One possible suggestion would be to add "alternate" solutions for Missions.

Like the "Take out (Monster/s)" mission says Combat giving out a Reward; but if the Players come up with a Diplomatic solution, perhaps have a different Reward, based on Success.
Another Idea: More NPC "Agents".

Have each person in the Group make a Character for each Class type.
Try to avoid overlapping, so telling each other what Class (with Subclass goal) is being chosen by each person is best.

Except for needed DM NPC Agents:
All created Agents are 1st level, and are "replaced" when they level up.
This repeats for each Level up to 10th, when the Agent "retires".

Note: ideally, each Level should have at least 4 Agents in it at all times.