PDA

View Full Version : Need a List of All the Immortal Creatures

unseenmage
2019-04-23, 12:21 PM
What are the best/the most used/your favorite immortal creatures? (not creature types)

EDIT
Sentient/sapient! I forgot to stipulate that they need to have a mind.

Segev
2019-04-23, 12:35 PM
What are the best/the most used/your favorite immortal creatures? (not creature types)

Undead
Most Outsiders
Most Elementals
Elan
Level 20 PF wizards

Crow_Nightfeath
2019-04-23, 04:24 PM
Shabti from pathfinder

flappeercraft
2019-04-23, 05:08 PM
I believe LeShay are immortal, as are all creatures with divine ranks which means that all Abominations are as well.

Bronk
2019-04-25, 06:04 AM
I treat most fey, outsiders, and magical beasts as immortal. I have some of them age and be older in a manner partially determined by their outlook and life experience (so that some groups have a wise old elder), but none of them are about to Yoda out just from that.

Jack_Simth
2019-04-25, 07:22 AM
What are the best/the most used/your favorite immortal creatures? (not creature types)Are you looking for creatures that are explicitly specified to be ageless, are ageless per common conception, or merely don't have game defined aging tables? They are three VERY different categories.

liquidformat
2019-04-25, 11:32 AM
anyone with 10 levels of Cloud Anchorite is immortal which seems reasonable since that is an otherwise useless prc...

unseenmage
2019-04-25, 02:15 PM
Are you looking for creatures that are explicitly specified to be ageless, are ageless per common conception, or merely don't have game defined aging tables? They are three VERY different categories.

Anything that could still be around when the universe miltiverse dies of old age. And that could tell you about it.

Telonius
2019-04-25, 02:27 PM
Warforged (potentially...?) and Killoren don't have maximum ages. Killoren in particular are called out as living for as long as they want to.

RoboEmperor
2019-04-25, 02:55 PM
Most Outsiders

Incorrect. If Eladrin and Archons have a life span then... yeah. Most outsiders are not immortal. Only a select few are. All fiends are immortal, Rakshasa are immortal, and... that's all? Don't know about Angels. They might be? They might not be?

All constructs are immortal.

Segev
2019-04-25, 04:19 PM
Incorrect. If Eladrin and Archons have a life span then... yeah. Most outsiders are not immortal. Only a select few are. All fiends are immortal, Rakshasa are immortal, and... that's all? Don't know about Angels. They might be? They might not be?

All constructs are immortal.

Wait, archons can die of old age? How?!

RoboEmperor
2019-04-25, 06:07 PM
Wait, archons can die of old age? How?!

I don't know. I read it somewhere either from an earlier edition lore or from some really obscure thing. Or i could've mixed up archon with something else, all celestial things sound the same to me. Anyways the point is even most celestials die of old age so it is very presumptuous to assume anything is immortal unless it's stated outright.

Bronk
2019-04-26, 06:04 AM
I don't know. I read it somewhere either from an earlier edition lore or from some really obscure thing. Or i could've mixed up archon with something else, all celestial things sound the same to me. Anyways the point is even most celestials die of old age so it is very presumptuous to assume anything is immortal unless it's stated outright.

You might be thinking about the Children of Androlynne... that talks about eladrin having generations, and the children being stuck at one age, but doesn't imply anything about old age in particular.

RoboEmperor
2019-04-26, 06:21 AM
You might be thinking about the Children of Androlynne... that talks about eladrin having generations, and the children being stuck at one age, but doesn't imply anything about old age in particular.

Quick google showed it was 4e that said eladrin live over 300 years.

Jack_Simth
2019-04-26, 07:04 AM
Anything that could still be around when the universe miltiverse dies of old age. And that could tell you about it.
That's just "Ageless and intelligent" again. That's world-building. An alternate way to ask would be "what's your criteria for treating a creature as ageless in the campaign in question?"

There's three basic responses (each with some variants, but meh):

Category Huge:
If that's "Does not have a listed maximum age" then a HUGE number of creatures qualify - It's mostly just the PC races that have aging tables, as (for the most part) the game designers didn't consider it worth the effort to make aging tables for things that weren't meant to be played. An Ettin, for instance, has no listed aging tables, and thus no defined maximum age.

Category Medium:
If that's "Common lore (as opposed to game sources) list them as being immortal" then you're looking at most fey, most outsiders, most undead. In addition to that, you'll have a rather lot of variance on things like giants, dragons, magical beasts, and so on, depending on who decides what the "common lore" is.

Category Small:
If that's "Must be noted in the rules as ageless" then you've got a comparatively tiny list... for the same reason that Category Huge is so big: For the most part, the game designers didn't think it worth the effort to make aging tables for things that weren't meant to be played. Ironically, this one excludes things like the lich, as nothing in the lich template actually alters your maximum age.

unseenmage
2019-04-26, 07:15 AM
That's just "Ageless and intelligent" again. That's world-building. An alternate way to ask would be "what's your criteria for treating a creature as ageless in the campaign in question?"

Category Huge:
If that's "Does not have a listed maximum age" then a HUGE number of creatures qualify - It's mostly just the PC races that have aging tables, as (for the most part) the game designers didn't consider it worth the effort to make aging tables for things that weren't meant to be played. An Ettin, for instance, has no listed aging tables, and thus no defined maximum age.

Category Medium:
If that's "Common lore (as opposed to game sources) list them as being immortal" then you're looking at most fey, most outsiders, most undead. In addition to that, you'll have a rather lot of variance on things like giants, dragons, magical beasts, and so on, depending on who decides what the "common lore" is.

Category Small:
If that's "Must be noted in the rules as ageless" then you've got a comparatively tiny list... for the same reason that Category Huge is so big: For the most part, the game designers didn't think it worth the effort to make aging tables for things that weren't meant to be played. Ironically, this one excludes things like the lich, as nothing in the lich template actually alters your maximum age.

Somewhere between common lore and category small.
And isnt Lich described as seeking the immortality of undeath in its fluff text?

Bronk
2019-04-26, 07:32 AM
Quick google showed it was 4e that said eladrin live over 300 years.

Heh, that's just like 4th edition to take an energy being that can take humanoid form - that lives on a timeless demiplane - and give it the maximum age of a half elf! :)

Category Huge:

Category Medium:

Category Small:

DnD has always dropped the ball with maximum ages. I remember reading a novel a while back, set in AD&D, where everyone was freaking out about people being super old, and that included a 300 year old dragon. Even then, that wasn't very old for a dragon!

I think long lived characters are cool, and immortality is cool, and I think a lot of other people do too, even if you're playing a game that only covers a year or so of game time and might not ever provide a concrete benefit.

Buufreak
2019-04-26, 12:58 PM
Heh, that's just like 4th edition to take an energy being that can take humanoid form - that lives on a timeless demiplane - and give it the maximum age of a half elf! :)

That's the thing, though. Eladrin is such a misnomer. Eladrin in 4e are just high (sun or moon) elves. Similar to blood elves from WoW.

Telonius
2019-04-26, 01:13 PM
That's the thing, though. Eladrin is such a misnomer. Eladrin in 4e are just high (sun or moon) elves. Similar to blood elves from WoW.

I'm assuming they had to switch the order of the "a" and the "d" to avoid a suit from the Tolkien estate? :smallsigh:

Bronk
2019-04-26, 02:25 PM

Oh, right! I had burned that out of my memory. Two more reasons to stick with 3.5 and previous fluff...

Buufreak
2019-04-26, 03:00 PM
Oh, right! I had burned that out of my memory. Two more reasons to stick with 3.5 and previous fluff...

Eh. I agree that 4th has issues. Many, in fact, if you are looking for a game that plays like anything other than an MMO. That said, some of their fluff was great. They just derped hard when it came to elves.

RoboEmperor
2019-04-26, 03:59 PM

What previous fluff? The reason I turned to other editions for fluff is because there is no fluff!

Bronk
2019-04-26, 07:55 PM
Eh. I agree that 4th has issues. Many, in fact, if you are looking for a game that plays like anything other than an MMO. That said, some of their fluff was great. They just derped hard when it came to elves.

I'm glad to hear people were getting enjoyment out of it!

What previous fluff? The reason I turned to other editions for fluff is because there is no fluff!

The great thing about 3.0 was that it inherited all of the previous fluff from AD&D. Some things were updated and changed, but in the background, Spelljammer was still there, Planescape was still there, and all the evolving stories from the various gameworlds like Greyhawk and Faerun ticked on without a hitch (or a century long time skip). That's why I enjoyed all of Afroakuma's planescape threads.

I didn't get into 4th that much, but they nuked the planes, tossed out spelljammer, got rid of my favorite outsider race, and so on. With 3.5, there was a smoothish transition form 3.0, and 3.0 inherited everything from the previous edition, including publishing character update guides. Everything that wasn't directly contradicted by 3.0 or 3.5 fluff remained unchanged, which makes it easier for me to mine old books and incorporate them into my games as a DM, which I appreciate.

Another fun immortal race is the Silthilar, aberrations that used to be some sort of unnamed fey species.