PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Barbarian 14th level feature

Nergalus
2019-04-23, 01:50 PM
Howdy fellas, I mean to create as the title says a lvl 14th barbarian class feature based on the spell heroism

A willing creature you touch is imbued with bravery. Until the spell ends, the creature is immune to being frightened and gains temporary hit points equal to your spellcasting ability modifier at the start of each of its turns. When the spell ends, the target loses any remaining temporary hit points from this spell.

The thing I want to balance its the temporary hit ponit gain, maybe you smart people can help me, im in between gaining temp hp equal to barbarian lvl, or half the barbarian lvl, maybe proficiency bonus +con mod?

I just need to figure out this kink for balance, thanks in advance for your help :)

Kane0
2019-04-23, 04:34 PM
Hmm well it's the capstone for barb subclasses and would have to compete with Frenzy Retaliation, Zealot Beyond Death and Totem Flight. Also mind the Inspiring Leader feat which also provides THP to allies.

Would this be an action to use? How long would it last, and would the THP occur every turn like it does for Heroism? And most importantly, can the barb use it on himself? Because if he can, the benefit is essentially doubled due to rage damage resistance.

Nergalus
2019-04-23, 04:55 PM
Yeah I was thinking of something like this

When you rage, you become immune to being frightened and gain temporary hit points equal to: "X" at the start of each of your turns. When your rage ends, you lose any remaining temporary hit points from this ability.

The "X" its what im trying to figure out

Kane0
2019-04-23, 08:21 PM
Well Berserkers already get the Frightened immunity at level 6 so you should probably get rid of that to avoid conflict, besides at level 14 it's a bit late for it (compare Paladin Fear aura and any number of spells that deal with it and when all those come online).

That said, I reckon Barbarian Level in THP each turn is fair as long as it isn't coupled with something like Bear Totem for resistance to virtually everything or some other way to decrease damage taken like Rogue's Uncanny Dodge or Ancestral Barbarian's spirits. It would be more fun than trying to put down a Zealot at least.

Crisis21
2019-04-23, 10:32 PM
Well Berserkers already get the Frightened immunity at level 6 so you should probably get rid of that to avoid conflict, besides at level 14 it's a bit late for it (compare Paladin Fear aura and any number of spells that deal with it and when all those come online).

That said, I reckon Barbarian Level in THP each turn is fair as long as it isn't coupled with something like Bear Totem for resistance to virtually everything or some other way to decrease damage taken like Rogue's Uncanny Dodge or Ancestral Barbarian's spirits. It would be more fun than trying to put down a Zealot at least.

Actually, if you gain THP while you still have THP, you lose your previous THP. Plus, granting THP each turn might be a touch overpowered. Once when you begin raging would be fine, though.

Kane0
2019-04-24, 04:50 AM
This is at level 14, when you could literally be ignoring death via HP, getting flight, reaction attacks virtually every round, etc. 14-20 temp hp once per rage just doesnt stack up but the same every round while raging sounds much better to me. If it ends up being too much make it half level + con mod or just half level as necessary.

LudicSavant
2019-04-24, 06:58 AM
Really can't say much without knowing the rest of the subclass. Context is king, and features are best not evaluated in a vacuum.

Vogie
2019-04-24, 08:03 AM
The Axe Idiot Battlerager Barbarian subclass gives THP equal to CON modifier each time they use reckless attack... at level 6.

Doing something like THP equal to half Proficiency bonus each turn while raging at level 14 wouldn't be OP at all. Maybe even full proficiency. You could also tack it to a mental stat as a sort of avoidance feature - Wisdom or Intelligence modifiers