PDA

View Full Version : What foods are good frozen?

SkepticalSquid
2019-04-24, 12:20 AM
And also, which ones aren't?

About 26 hours ago I thought it was a good idea to put a Milky Way candy bar into the freezer. An hour ago, I came home, ate some dinner, but was still hungry, so I decided to try the frozen Milky Way bar. The flavor is very good, but the texture of the caramel makes me fear for the safety of my teeth. I'm curious to try to freeze other foods for future snacks, does anyone have any recommendations or warnings of foods to stay away from?

paddyfool
2019-04-24, 02:13 AM
Frozen grapes are quite refreshing on a hot day. The same would probably be true for various kinds of berry.

And then there's cream, of course (whipped up with assorted other ingredients for flavour) :P

Knaight
2019-04-24, 02:26 AM
Sticking to candy, reeses cups are generally a viable option. Otherwise most fruit freezes well, particularly berries.

Peelee
2019-04-24, 02:27 AM
Gummy bears. Few things in life are so good as gummy bears out of the freezer.

SkepticalSquid
2019-04-24, 02:39 AM
I'll have to try Reese's Cups and gummy bears. I like both at room temperature, so that's a good starting point.

Berries and grapes are already a favorite of mine. Personally, I like smaller berries, like blueberries and raspberries, a lot better frozen than strawberries, which I find become too hard when frozen to eat. I saw frozen cherries at the store the other day, which was new to me, but I didn't get any. Maybe next time.

Artemis97
2019-04-24, 04:17 AM
Thin mint girl scout cookies. They're just *drools obscenely*

Togath
2019-04-24, 05:06 AM
Skittles!~ Frozen ones are awesome, though they thaw fairly fast.
For more fruity stuff, I'm fond of frozen fresh pineapple, and found out frozen cranberries make nice ice cubes(and are tasty). The pineapple partially because the freezing seems to help prevent whatever causes fresh pineapple to sting and irritate my mouth normally.

Brother Oni
2019-04-24, 06:18 AM
The pineapple partially because the freezing seems to help prevent whatever causes fresh pineapple to sting and irritate my mouth normally.

That'd be the bromelain (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromelain), which is a naturally occurring protease (protein digesting enzyme).

Essentially whenever you eat fresh pineapple, you're in a race to eat it faster than it eats you. :smallbiggrin:

GAAD
2019-04-24, 03:22 PM
I prefer my popsicles frozen. Drinking them seems to be unpleasant for some reason.

understatement
2019-04-24, 05:05 PM
Frozen dark chocolate pieces are tough to chew, so it's even more satisfying when you get the stuff in your mouth.

AdmiralCheez
2019-04-25, 07:28 AM
My sister eats frozen waffles while they're still frozen. I wouldn't do that, but she likes them for some reason.

I'll second the thin mint cookies, though. Those are good frozen.

TheRatAlliance
2019-04-25, 08:26 AM
Never tried it because I have obscenely sensitive teeth and anything below room temperature hurts, but frozen brownies might be nice if you don't leave them in for too long? Frozen veg like cucumber might also be good if you're looking for something refreshing that isn't sweet.

JeenLeen
2019-04-25, 09:55 AM
Chocolate chip cookies work pretty well. I think especially if they are on the thin and crispy end -- maybe from less water inside to freeze.

Never tried it because I have obscenely sensitive teeth and anything below room temperature hurts, .

I'm in the same boat. The idea of biting into frozen fruit or even biting ice cream makes me cringe. Though I still enjoy cold stuff I can crush it with my tongue or wait for it to warm up before chewing.

I can vaguely remember as a kid when I could enjoy those.

DavidSh
2019-04-25, 10:19 AM
Cranberry sauce, made from the recipe on the bag of cranberries, is pretty good frozen. It comes out sort of like a sorbet.

darkrose50
2019-04-25, 10:39 AM
I lost a lot of weight eating frozen chicken breast gilled on a George Foreman grill with mushrooms fried in butter (on a frying pan). Frozen vegetables fried in butter are also surprisingly good. Butter . . . is evidently a secret of restaurant food.

I just gained a lot of weight after stopping my normal diet due to a really bad dentist (my lower right teeth all needed work). Now that I am back to somewhat normal I can go back to eating almonds, and drinking Ensure. Seems to work for me to keep my diet in check.

Also frozen peanut butter in little silicone muffin trays goes well with vanilla ice-cream!

tyckspoon
2019-04-25, 12:03 PM
I lost a lot of weight eating frozen chicken breast gilled on a George Foreman grill with mushrooms fried in butter (on a frying pan). Frozen vegetables fried in butter are also surprisingly good. Butter . . . is evidently a secret of restaurant food.

Basically, yeah, one of the main reasons restaurant foods seem to taste better is they often use a lot more fats (butter and oils), salt (actual salt, salty ingredients, finishing the dishes with a sprinkle of salt so there's some right on top), and other seasonings than home cooks do, or that home cookbook recipes recommend.

danzibr
2019-04-27, 02:15 PM
Seconding ice cream. When that stuff melts it’s just not the same, even if you refereeze it.

shawnhcorey
2019-04-27, 02:26 PM
Seconding ice cream. When that stuff melts it’s just not the same, even if you refereeze it.

That's because ice cream has air whipped into it. When it melts and refreezes, most of the air is gone, so it becomes a very solid solid. :smallannoyed:

Yanagi
2019-04-27, 11:51 PM
Maybe it's just me, but...frozen cake. Like, a normal premix cake with basic buttercream frosting. The former becomes crumbly but still moist, the latter becomes dense and even more fudge-like.

Florian
2019-04-28, 02:59 PM
Not many. Beyond the usual ice cream and chocolate, the interaction with alcohol and the specific thawing point is a lot more important.

Magic_Hat
2019-04-29, 07:08 PM
Gummy bears. Few things in life are so good as gummy bears out of the freezer.

What about gummy bears in skim milk?

Let me know if you get the reference.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-04-29, 08:19 PM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned York Peppermint Patties yet.

Also, 3 Musketeers and Butterfingers.

Basically, anything without caramel.

understatement
2019-04-30, 04:00 PM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned York Peppermint Patties yet.

Also, 3 Musketeers and Butterfingers.

Basically, anything without caramel.

I tried out the chocolate bar recommendation with a 100 Grand and it was like eating solidified glue. Eckgh.

tyckspoon
2019-04-30, 04:09 PM
I tried out the chocolate bar recommendation with a 100 Grand and it was like eating solidified glue. Eckgh.

Yeah, you don't want to do this with anything that has caramel as a major ingredient. (100 Grand is basically puffed rice glued together with a caramel core as it is, so that's not a big surprise to me :smallfrown: )

Peelee
2019-04-30, 05:05 PM
I like cold Crunch bars. Freeze one of them, it's delightful
Also, did you get a chance on the gummy bears? I go between chewing immediately and letting them just sit in my mouth a bit. Very refreshing (and that's pricey the dust for anyone cake funny bears "refreshing").

Feddlefew
2019-04-30, 05:07 PM
From experience I can say that any chocolate bars with a cream filling will be okay, but stay away from anything that's sugar-syrup based.

You can make ice pops out of basically any soft beverage with a silicone tray and some small Popsicle sticks. Strait-up frozen jello or agar agar is bad, but you can (allegedly)use a little to stabilize your ice pops.

tomandtish
2019-05-01, 02:21 PM
Incidentally, frozen carrot chips also make wonderful (and healthy) dog treats.

Togath
2019-05-02, 04:57 AM
Incidentally, frozen carrot chips also make wonderful (and healthy) dog treats.

Ooh, that's a good idea!

fables.ink
2019-06-02, 08:54 PM
I actually like frozen bread :smallannoyed:

Asmotherion
2019-06-30, 11:11 AM
Try melting half a cup of butter; Add cacao+suggar to it. Finally mix and put it in the freezer.

There you go: Mousse Chocolate the easy way.

PS: Don't get too addicted to it; This thing has a ton of calories but is delicious.

Vizzerdrix
2019-07-02, 01:23 PM
Poptart are far better when frozen as opposed to toasted.

Crow
2019-07-07, 05:40 AM
Frozen peas are pretty good. Seriously, try it.

DotLikesTurtles
2019-07-15, 07:21 PM
Frozen strawberries are amazing, just be prepared to shear off slices with a spoon. Knives tend to sling the frozen strawberries across the universe, in my experience

samwoodblack
2019-07-16, 01:34 AM
Frozen Banana

punctured spoon
2019-08-29, 10:58 PM
Sticking to candy, reeses cups are generally a viable option. Otherwise most fruit freezes well, particularly berries.

Frozen snickers are forever the best thing in the planet

DwarvenWarCorgi
2019-08-30, 12:31 AM
Try melting half a cup of butter; Add cacao+suggar to it. Finally mix and put it in the freezer.

PS: Don't get too addicted to it; This thing has a ton of calories but is delicious.

Try DoLicious edible cookie dough instead. Little butter, some milk, flour, salt, chocolate chips. Egg free so it's safe to eat raw, and nothing beats a log of frozen cookie dough, nothing

Squire Doodad
2019-09-07, 05:14 PM
Blueberries. Don't put your freezer at -10 degrees F or something, just go with 0~-3 F. It helps things defrost slightly faster too. If the freezer is overly cold, the blueberry skins with strip off easily if eaten and will remain hard and icy for a considerable amount of time.

If you like having sweets in your cereal such as chocolate chips or cookie shreds (like me :3), try putting in a goodly amount of frozen blueberries instead. It'll freeze the milk around it, making for a nice and tasty treat. They're a bit icy in my experience, but still quite good.

...whoa, what happened with the font editing here?
This sounds awesome! I'll try it out when I have a chance. Do you have a recommendation for the amount/ratio of Cocoa to Sugar to butter?

Annehn
2019-09-16, 10:31 AM
Wow.. I leanrt alot of new food tricks from this thread.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-09-16, 11:21 AM
We aim to educate as well as please.

denthor
2019-09-16, 11:38 AM
There can only be one frozen candy. Kit-Kats frozen.

I have stronger thoughts about the others!

Squire Doodad
2019-09-25, 08:28 PM
Wow.. I leanrt alot of new food tricks from this thread.

I mean, if you want I can give you a 50 minute lecture on how to make fried rice XD

Though burgers would be easier: the best way to get the "pub flavor" without being overly fancy is to just go basic and use salt, pepper and a splash of Worcestershire sauce onto the meat while you are seasoning it. In a pinch, just salt and pepper will suffice.

EDIT: Wait...oh, I did it anyways, whoops XD

Related note: is there a food thread here, or does that belong somewhere else?

Noob5674
2019-09-29, 09:03 AM
Eh, everyone seems to just about called every good foot frozen that I know of, so I’ll just say I enjoy freezing any thin “already-edible” foods like chocolate and stuff that aren’t dry, since most food that aren’t obviously supposed to be dry (jerky and such) have some amount of water in it that can freeze to give a firm but usually brittle crunch that’s satisfying.

If it’s some kinda candy that’s bite size, it’s usually pretty good frozen for an extra crunch that’s not like eating a brick of ice. Unless it’s normally something gooey like caramel. Don’t freeze those, it’s difficult to crack through. Not sure about freezing marshmallows tho...I wonder if it’d become like those tiny cereal marshmallows, that’d be great.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-09-29, 06:06 PM
If you mean proper marshmallows, the moisture inside them expands as it freezes and tears them apart. If you mean those puffs of toxic chemicals sold as marshmallows in cheap plastic bags, they just get very hard.