PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Psicrystal Incarnum Build? (no longer illegal!)

RoboEmperor
2019-04-24, 01:22 AM
What are the best Shape Soulmelds for a Psicrystal?

I got dissolving spittle at level 1
Necrocarnum Zombie after level 7 which is when I get Psionic Open Chakra

And I'm out of ideas. Soulspark Familiar is crap and not worth mentioning.

edit: I'm thinking lategame so this Psicrystal will have Phylactery of Change to turn it into something with a Con score.

Troacctid
2019-04-24, 01:25 AM
Psicrystals cannot shape soulmelds because they lack a Constitution score.

Psyren
2019-04-24, 01:30 AM
In order to shape soulmelds, you need access to the corresponding chakras, which requires the associated body shape. Creatures with an amorphous body (e.g. no arms/legs/head) lack every chakra except Heart and Soul; in addition, Psicrystals being constructs lack Soul too. This means that they can't shape Dissolving Spittle.

RoboEmperor
2019-04-24, 01:33 AM
Psicrystals cannot shape soulmelds because they lack a Constitution score.

YIKES! How did I overlook this! QQ. Thanks for catching my mistake early before I got crazy with it.

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-04-24, 03:58 AM
If you can finagle the Undead type onto the psicrystal, it can take Undead Meldshaping to shape with its Wisdom.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-04-24, 11:13 AM
If you can finagle the Undead type onto the psicrystal, it can take Undead Meldshaping to shape with its Wisdom.Human Heritage (which works if the psicrystal's master is human, either naturally or, again, via Human Heritage) means it could be turned undead via any number of ways, including necropolitan.

There are ways and there are ways of giving a psicrystal a body for the appropriate chakra slots (and a Con score), including metamorphosis, (true) mind switch, and magic jar. Feel free to combine metamorphosis with fusion and astral seed for this purpose.

Psyren
2019-04-24, 11:26 AM
If you can finagle the Undead type onto the psicrystal, it can take Undead Meldshaping to shape with its Wisdom.

Even if you can pull this off though, see the Chakra issue I mentioned

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-04-24, 11:36 AM
Even if you can pull this off though, see the Chakra issue I mentionedUse a Craft feat to carve the crystal into a humanoid body, which you then channel the mind of your psicrystal into? Polymorph any object it into a humanoid shape? You could also use the other things I mentioned above.

Psyren
2019-04-24, 12:34 PM
Use a Craft feat to carve the crystal into a humanoid body, which you then channel the mind of your psicrystal into?

Uh... source for these rules?

Polymorph any object it into a humanoid shape?

Shapeshifting works, though of course you're one dispel away from losing them all again.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-04-24, 12:51 PM
Uh... source for these rules?I've had DMs who said I needed to use a pre-existing gem to make a psicrystal, so why not do some prep work a new get some extras out of it?

Shapeshifting works, though of course you're one dispel away from losing them all again.Create Device (Ravenloft: Legacy of the Blood) is your friend. :)

As is Supernatural Transformation (Psionics), for that matter.

Psyren
2019-04-24, 01:21 PM
I've had DMs who said I needed to use a pre-existing gem to make a psicrystal, so why not do some prep work a new get some extras out of it?

Create Device (Ravenloft: Legacy of the Blood) is your friend. :)

As is Supernatural Transformation (Psionics), for that matter.

I mean, if you're going for houserules, third party and highly questionable readings you may as well just fiat it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(And no, I'm not going to relitigate "Su psionics" for another 50 pages.)

The Kool
2019-04-24, 01:29 PM
I've had DMs who said I needed to use a pre-existing gem to make a psicrystal, so why not do some prep work a new get some extras out of it?

Isn't that the 3.0 rule?

Segev
2019-04-24, 02:38 PM
This has me envisioning a mad cerebromancer who fused his familiar and psicrystal together into a single creature with the half-construct template that gains the combined benefits of his psicrystal and his familiar.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-04-24, 02:55 PM
This has me envisioning a mad cerebromancer who fused his familiar and psicrystal together into a single creature with the half-construct template that gains the combined benefits of his psicrystal and his familiar.Might wanna go look up DSP and Hyperconscious...

RoboEmperor
2019-04-24, 03:57 PM
Hey! Yeah! 24/7 Metamorphosis (or Phylactery of Change) into something with a high con score would enable the psicrystal to get incarnum stuff! Ok, thread is back on! What are some good Incarnum feats to give such a psicrystal?

RoboEmperor
2019-04-24, 05:08 PM
Alright I skimmed through the soulmelds. Most of them gave you a small bonus in some stat, gave you an alternate mode of movement, gave you weak blasting, gave you a weak save-or-suck attack, or gave you natural weapons.

Blue Steel Bracers (arms) - All allies gain +2 inititative
Lammasu Mantle (arms, shoulder, totem) - Basically a Magic Circle Against evil broken up into chakras
Lifebond Vestments (arms, heart) - Transfer a creature's damage to yourself. With Vigor it could turn temp hp into hp.
Lucky Dice (hands) - +1 to attack and damage, saving throws, or skill and ability checks to all allies within 30ft
Manticore Belt (totem)- 30ft ranged spike attack 1d6+str mod, one spike per essentia invested
Necrocarnum Circlet (crown) - One Zombie. Notable that this zombie does not have Single Actions Only.
Winter Mask (Throat) - 15ft Cold Breath. Only blasting that gives 2d6 damage per essentia instead of 1d4 or 1d6

If I want to use my Psicrystal as a combat psicrystal like a metamorphosis Hydra, I should probably give all the soulmelds another look. But since I'm not at this time, I think I'm gonna grab Necrocarnum Circlet, Lucky Dice, Lifebond Vestments, and Blue Steel Bracers.

Now to see if Psions can generate corpses with their summoning powers!

edit:Forgot about the hd limit of the necrocarnum zombie. Yeah... incarnum feats suck on a psicrystal. Oh well.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-04-24, 09:38 PM
My absolute favorite soulmeld is the phase cloak bound to the shoulders chakra. It allows you to go ethereal while moving more than 5'. Ethereal creatures ignore most material creatures, objects, and effects (except magical AoE effects and effects targeting them specifically, in which case they have a 50% miss chance for anything that isn't an Abjuration or [Force] effect). Ethereal creatures can also see and hear into the Material Plane fairly well for reconnaissance, can fly at 1/2 speed, are perfectly invisible to anyone who can't see across planar boundaries (and thus don't provoke AoOs for movement), are perfectly silent, can pass through walls, can pass through nonmagical attacks, and ignore nonmagical terrain effects. You can also see and affect other Ethereal creatures, as well. I'm sure there's more there, if we look at it, but that's enough to be getting on with.

That's a LOT of benefit for one feat and a power known, and it can be gotten as early as 7th level, when the psionic bind chakra power comes into play. Just boost your ML enough, and you've got it.