PDA

View Full Version : Single class Long Death Monk will silly stats

CTurbo
2019-04-24, 02:03 AM
Ok ok still having trouble making up my mind, but what if I simplify things a bit. Using feats, how could l fancy up a single class Long Death Monk?

Stats are 20, 19, 19, 17, 8, 6 so l could easily start with 20s in all my important stats and then still have a 17 somewhere. I get a free feat to start and vhuman gets 2 free feats. Need some good ideas on how to expand the Monk's utility and overall usefulness.

I like Alert, Mobile, Ritual Caster, Observant, maybe even Skilled. Lucky is always good. Magic Initiate could open up some useful things. What else?

I kinda like the idea of Kalashtar that only communicates telepathically. I also like the idea of a Gnome Monk. I REALLY REALLY want to play a Lizardfolk or Aaracokra but unfortunately I cannot this time. Also I think it would be fun to play a Goliath or Half-Orc Monk. This would be the time to do it.

Damon_Tor
2019-04-24, 02:23 AM
Polearm Mastery is always a strong choice for the ability to make opportunity attacks on approach. If you've got the ASIs to throw around (and you do) Take both Magic Initiate and War Caster as well so you can use Booming Blade as your Opportunity Attack. The timing of an opportunity attack occurs before the triggering motion, which means this will automatically trigger the bonus damage from Booming Blade. Enemies will learn very quickly that closing into your range is a terrible idea.

CTurbo
2019-04-24, 02:30 AM
And use a staff or spear?

Damon_Tor
2019-04-24, 03:06 AM
And use a staff or spear?

The spear is almost strictly superior, with identical stats except you can throw it if you feel like it. But either one will be doing 1d8 damage and you probably won't throw it enough to make a difference, so go with the staff if you like it better.

CTurbo
2019-04-24, 03:13 AM
That's pretty tempting but it pretty much just boosts combat. Even still l like the idea. What about boosting some of the Monk's shortcomings like utility and other out of combat stuff?

Damon_Tor
2019-04-24, 03:43 AM
That's pretty tempting but it pretty much just boosts combat. Even still l like the idea. What about boosting some of the Monk's shortcomings like utility and other out of combat stuff?

Well it's just one of three spells spoken for in terms of Magic Initiate. Feel free to take Minor Illusion and Find Familiar for your other choices. Or whatever strikes your fancy. You've got anything from Warlock, Wizard and Sorcerer to choose from, knock yourself out.

CTurbo
2019-04-24, 03:54 AM
This combo would work well with my Monk with a 2 level Bladesinger dip idea. Then I wouldn't need to bother with Magic Initiate. Hmm....