PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a backstory book that reveals...

Regneva
2007-10-03, 12:54 AM
A new full book containing a story that reveals exclusive information on:
- V's gender
- MITD's identity
- Miko's complete alignment timeline
- Who Belkar would cause the death of
- V's mate
- Whether and how Roy gets resurrected
- Whether Sabine is a devil or a demon
- Who Elan's father is and whether he holds Haley's father captive
- The future of Miko as a corpse or a blackguard or undead or whatever.
- Redcloaks agenda
- The "ending" scene of the entire comic
- Full character sheets of every character complete with background info (I think only this would be enough. It would be available as a booklet I presume)

Assume that it would be drawn by the giant and containing story (not just a bunch of spoilers)

Would you buy it?

And how much would you pay for it?
Or much would you pay for HALF of it?

Would you buy it if it was for free?
Would you resist it and raise opinion against it's existance?

And how much would you pay for a book that just wanders around the ideas but never sets foot on any solution on any of the mentioned secrets?

What do you think?

Yeril
2007-10-03, 02:15 AM
You forgot to mention finding out if Sabine is a devil or a demon.

oh and if Elan and Nales father is Lord Tyriniar

Tempest Fennac
2007-10-03, 02:18 AM
Redcloak's agenda was covered in SoD, and I think the other details will eventually be revealed in the main comic.

Ancalagon
2007-10-03, 07:38 AM
You can drop the secret infos, I'd buy every and any backstory book. :)

Green Bean
2007-10-03, 07:43 AM
I wouldn't, even if it was free. Some reveals are better off being built up to; it would be like buying a book and skipping to the last chapter. It would lose all of the impact and enjoyment.

Bayar
2007-10-03, 07:46 AM
too many spoilers, I dont want to spoil the online strip....

Regneva
2007-10-03, 07:48 AM
You forgot to mention finding out if Sabine is a devil or a demon.

oh and if Elan and Nales father is Lord Tyriniar

Oh you're right. Adding em right now

The Ninja
2007-10-03, 07:53 AM
Let's see, it's OOTS related, and made by Rich...

Of Course! (Whether or not I would read it all before the stuff is revealed in the main comic is another matter, though.)

Ancalagon
2007-10-03, 08:08 AM
@Threadstarter:
Did you mean a book that actually contains a story or just the infos you mentioned? The latter one is pretty boring, I'd not buy it. I'd buy all "story-books" by oots, no matter what they reveal or not reveal.

Omicroncubed
2007-10-03, 08:26 AM
only is we know that the future strips won't contain that kind of information

mockingbyrd7
2007-10-03, 08:50 AM
Never ever ever. Never never ever never ever ever ever never ever never never ever. Ever. Never. For reasons already stated. Never.

NEVER!

StupidFatHobbit
2007-10-03, 08:50 AM
Only if I found out I was going to die in two weeks and Rich showed up on my doorstep with the entire rest of the comic until it ends and said I could read it for $10.

And, you know, I don't think that's a very likely scenario. :smallbiggrin:

I don't really understand why anyone would want to know spoilers (for anything) in one out-of-context chunk. I guess to me, that seems like treating something like a math equation that needs solving, not a story. I mean, does it change anything? I read my favourite books over and over again, even though I already know what happens at the end. It's all about the pleasure of the journey, not locating isolated facts along the way.

North
2007-10-03, 08:53 AM
How can a backstory book reveal the future?

Xanos
2007-10-03, 09:01 AM
How can a backstory book reveal the future?
A wizard did it.

Pironious
2007-10-03, 09:26 AM
Whether Sabine is a devil or a demon?

She's a succubus, thus she's a demon.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-10-03, 09:32 AM

Thank you. I've never understood the confusion. The closest devil is an erines (sp), and Sabine isn't even close!

Deathwisher
2007-10-03, 09:45 AM
exclusive information on:
V's gender
MITD's identity
Miko's complete alignment timeline
Who Belkar would cause the death of
V's mate
Whether and how Roy gets resurrected
Whether Sabine is a devil or a demon
Who Elan's father is and whether he holds Haley's father captive
The future of Miko as a corpse or a blackguard or undead or whatever.
Redcloaks agenda
The "ending" scene of the entire comic
Full character sheets of every character complete with background info (I think only this would be enough. It would be available as a booklet I presume)

Would you buy it?

And how much would you pay for it?
Or much would you pay for HALF of it?

Would you buy it if it was for free?
Would you resist it and raise opinion against it's existance?

And how much would you pay for a book that just wanders around the ideas but never sets foot on any solution on any of the mentioned secrets?

What do you think?

Are you kidding, I buy every OOTS book. If it is in the same price range as the other ones, no problem.

By the way, Belkar sort of caused Roys death by giving him the ring of jumping, so perhaps that prophecy has already come true.

FujinAkari
2007-10-03, 09:48 AM
Thank you. I've never understood the confusion.

The confusion largely stems from four factors:

- Haley exhibits repeated confusion as to which type of arrow will bypass Sabine's DR
- Sabine has been seen opening a gate to Hell, an ability actual succubi do not have.
- Sabine seems eager to enter combat, or at least not reluctant to do so, which Succubi typically are.
- No adverse effects of sleeping with Sabine have ever been referenced.

Of course, I agree with what was said about what she is, but that is the source of the confusion.

((For arguees: The Haley joke is a referance to how random metal-passing DR is. It seems to be reletively randomly assigned in 3rd Edition, and so Haley can't remember if cold iron is for demons or devils. The combat eagerness is explained by Sabine's class levels, making her better at combat than a normal Succubus, the lack of penalty for all the sex is due to the PG-13 rating of the strip, there are some topics Rich doesn't like to focus on. As for the Gate, probably a house-rule. Typically, Demons in D&D can't freely go to the Prime Material, which is why they lack the gate ability. Rich's world seems to be different.))

chibibar
2007-10-03, 09:53 AM
I would buy any books for the OoTS cause well... I bought them all!!! (including the game and the expansion when it comes out)

SoD
2007-10-03, 10:12 AM
Hmm...difficult, I love the material, and, assuming Rich wrote it, it'd be full of jokes...but I'd hate knowing the answers before they were on the web comic...tricky. Umm...I'd...debate for ages before buying it, then hide it under my bed.

Wikkin
2007-10-03, 11:06 AM
By the way, Belkar sort of caused Roys death by giving him the ring of jumping, so perhaps that prophecy has already come true.

That would be lame, and this comic's not lame. Xykon (or perhaps the ground) caused Roy's death.

Wik

redzimmer
2007-10-03, 11:13 AM
But if it gave everything away, where would the mystery be?

It's like when Harvey Keitel tried to get "It's" Pat to reveal his-her ambiguous gender. Killing the golden goose, if you will.

FujinAkari
2007-10-03, 11:54 AM
That would be lame, and this comic's not lame. Xykon (or perhaps the ground) caused Roy's death.

Wik

I disagree (about it being lame). It is very easy to say that Belkar caused Roy's death by giving him the means of fighting Xykon without support.

NerfTW
2007-10-03, 12:02 PM

Wik

I really don't understand this attitude. Why is it lame for an oracle to be overly complicated? Nale does it, and everyone applauds. The prophecy says any or all of the above. The Oracle is a tricky bastard. His answer to "Where is Xykon?" was "In his throne room". Why wouldn't the prophecy be a rube goldberg like series of events leading to the death of each person listed? It's not like it affects Belkar in any way, shape, or form.

Yes, you could just keep going back further and further, but that's not the point. Oedipus killed his father because his father sent him off to die, and therefore didn't recognize him as an adult. Achilles died because his mother didn't drop him completely into the fire. Why do people expect serious, direct cause and effect in a humor comic where the main villians regularly escape due to Deus Ex Machinas?

Ecalsneerg
2007-10-03, 12:39 PM

Nearly 500 strips onwards, I think people would have come ot that conclusion, were it not for a few discrepancies.

FujinAkari
2007-10-03, 12:50 PM
Achilles died because his mother didn't drop him completely into the fire.

Water. >_<

NerfTW
2007-10-03, 12:54 PM
Oh jeez, I got him confused with the guy whose lifespan was tied to the log in the fire.

Duuuuuuuuuuuuur. I is smrt.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-10-03, 12:59 PM
The confusion largely stems from four factors:

- Haley exhibits repeated confusion as to which type of arrow will bypass Sabine's DR
- Sabine has been seen opening a gate to Hell, an ability actual succubi do not have.
- Sabine seems eager to enter combat, or at least not reluctant to do so, which Succubi typically are.
- No adverse effects of sleeping with Sabine have ever been referenced.

Of course, I agree with what was said about what she is, but that is the source of the confusion.

((For arguees: The Haley joke is a referance to how random metal-passing DR is. It seems to be reletively randomly assigned in 3rd Edition, and so Haley can't remember if cold iron is for demons or devils. The combat eagerness is explained by Sabine's class levels, making her better at combat than a normal Succubus, the lack of penalty for all the sex is due to the PG-13 rating of the strip, there are some topics Rich doesn't like to focus on. As for the Gate, probably a house-rule. Typically, Demons in D&D can't freely go to the Prime Material, which is why they lack the gate ability. Rich's world seems to be different.))

I always saw the lack of level drain as an "At Will" effect. There needs to be a way of debauching with the mortals, without destroying their usefullness.

Sabine can "give it up" to Nale without hurting him, but if Roy had taken her up on her offer, she would have drained him. Err... Sucked the life out of him. Um... Would have caused him to lose hit points and abilities to reduce his ECL. Yeah, that last one works. :smallbiggrin:

But with the monster with levels in class rules, Sabine could easily be a succubus with levels in fighter, or monk. Or maybe levels in rogue, to maintain the opposites theme.

FujinAkari
2007-10-03, 01:08 PM
Sabine can "give it up" to Nale without hurting him, but if Roy had taken her up on her offer, she would have drained him. Err... Sucked the life out of him. Um... Would have caused him to lose hit points and abilities to reduce his ECL. Yeah, that last one works. :smallbiggrin:

I'm not talking about Nale.

Sabine had sex three times while in the Abyss for... what was it... two hours? Her 'human' form in Azure city was a prostitute. You -know- she has had sex with random people in the strip, yet nothing is ever heard about the negative effects from it...

And why are we even arguing? I was just quoting the things that make people question if she's a demon or not! I think I was pretty clear about not holding this position X_x

cheesecake
2007-10-03, 01:53 PM
no i'd wait for everyone to post the spoilers here

Chronos
2007-10-03, 02:56 PM
The confusion largely stems from four factors:Five, actually. There's also the fact that her behaviour appears to be more consistent with Lawful Evil than with Chaotic Evil. Personally, I think that the simplest explanation is that the Giant relaxed the alignment rules here somewhat, as he did with Durkon and Thor, and that Sabine is a lawful evil succubus.

Oh, and it's not just Haley who's unclear on Sabine's species. Julia (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0355.html) isn't sure whether she's a demon or a devil, either, and even Nale (who, of all mortals, should know) made sure that the scissors she'd be using in the fiendishly clever plan (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0255.html) were neither silver nor cold iron.

someonenonotyou
2007-10-03, 03:10 PM
HELL NO! that's all i have to say

Caractacus
2007-10-03, 03:38 PM
I would by a book that explained the backstory elements, but not the, err...forestory(?) elements.

otherwise, I will by anything the Giant puts out in book form until further notice...:smallcool:

Yoritomo Himeko
2007-10-03, 10:25 PM
A new full book containing a story that reveals exclusive information on:
- V's gender
- MITD's identity
- Miko's complete alignment timeline
- Who Belkar would cause the death of
- V's mate
- Whether and how Roy gets resurrected
- Whether Sabine is a devil or a demon
- Who Elan's father is and whether he holds Haley's father captive
- The future of Miko as a corpse or a blackguard or undead or whatever.
- Redcloaks agenda
- The "ending" scene of the entire comic
- Full character sheets of every character complete with background info (I think only this would be enough. It would be available as a booklet I presume)

Assume that it would be drawn by the giant and containing story (not just a bunch of spoilers)

Would you buy it?

Yes.

And how much would you pay for it? About $20

Or much would you pay for HALF of it?About $10

Would you buy it if it was for free? Sure, why not?

Would you resist it and raise opinion against it's existence? No

And how much would you pay for a book that just wanders around the ideas but never sets foot on any solution on any of the mentioned secrets? About $20

What do you think? Well, I really enjoyed both Origins of the PC's and Start of Darkness. I would definitely buy any OOTS book Rich produced. They're inexpensive and high quality products. They're very entertaining and the books are well-made. Anyway, yes, I would buy a book with all that spoiler info.

Shadow_in_the_Mist
2007-10-03, 11:36 PM
What do you think?

{Scrubbed}

kabbor
2007-10-04, 03:01 AM

Wik
Yes, it is a lame prophecy fulfilment. So was Haley failing to look the gift horse in the mouth by accepting Nale's dinner-date offer, which, very indirectly, put her in a position that lead to her curing her own anaesphasia.

Or, the oracle was lame, not it's creator.

Now, I doubt that the oracle took Belkar's "or" to be "xor", so Belkar might well kill some more in that list. Although Miko and her horse are probably out of the picture.

Pironious
2007-10-04, 03:42 AM
Her 'human' form in Azure city was a prostitute.

Geisha =/= Prostitute.

Regneva
2007-10-04, 09:33 AM
{Scrubbed}

Why the flame?

Chronos
2007-10-04, 06:08 PM
Geisha =/= Prostitute.Not in general, no. But in Sabine's specific case?

Then too, we don't know everything about Azurite culture. Maybe that is the way prostitutes dress in Azure City.

Shadow_in_the_Mist
2007-10-08, 08:02 PM
I would like to apologise for my previous inflammatory posting, as it was not directly me. The problem is that I rarely unlog from my account and I have a younger sibling who cannot be accurately described without breaking this forum's code for decency. You may rest assured that I will be personally extracting his various major organs with the largest, rustiest cutting implement I can find once I have finished this. Unless, of course, it was one of his deviant friends, who will suffer a far more grisly fate. I take great pride in never flaming others, and the idea of someone using my account to do so is a bleeding, pustulant wound in my side. Rest assured it will never happen again.

Regneva
2007-10-09, 04:45 PM
I would like to apologise for my previous inflammatory posting, as it was not directly me. The problem is that I rarely unlog from my account and I have a younger sibling who cannot be accurately described without breaking this forum's code for decency. You may rest assured that I will be personally extracting his various major organs with the largest, rustiest cutting implement I can find once I have finished this. Unless, of course, it was one of his deviant friends, who will suffer a far more grisly fate. I take great pride in never flaming others, and the idea of someone using my account to do so is a bleeding, pustulant wound in my side. Rest assured it will never happen again.

No hard feelings.
While checking your earlier posts I was perplexed at the idea of having been pointlessly rammed by somebody who's neurons, contrary to my assumptions seemed to be in working condition. So, this is the reason.

If the flamotary infant's reason for this weird defamation was "because it was snappy and sounded cool and it rhymed well and he was like 'wanawanawana whad thuu thingk?' and I was like 'I thingk bo ore an idiot' and he was like waaaahwaaaahwaaah and I was like yeeeyeeeyeee and I was so cool and he was so ...", Well, I dunno; I might prefer some of the said major organs back in where they belong (definetely not all of them).

If otherwise, the foul brat didn't just agree with my opinion and saw it fit to just call me an idiot and be done with it. Well... Lets just say, I'd be happy to receive the organs as a pardon. I think they would be excelent for my living room decoration.

Thank you for the time :)

Shadow_in_the_Mist
2007-10-09, 05:05 PM
I would like to apologise once again. There should be no further problems, but if there are, you need rest assured I will be sending you a parcel of fingers, eyes and slivers of brain tissue in a wrapping of human skin- all taken from whoever DARED to abuse my username. Words cannot express how sorry I am that you were insulted so.

As for the question, personally, I'd buy such a book only if the entire series of OoTS was written and I found that the questions remained unanswered or if I was dissatisfied with the way they were answered in the series.

JasonDoomsblade
2007-10-09, 05:31 PM
I'd buy it. And I'd pay about $30 for it.

smart thog
2007-10-09, 06:57 PM
As for the Sabine thing, I stand firm in my belief that she is a homebrewed yugoloth. Succubuses cannot do energy drain with a attack and would not be sent to a LE person like Nale. I doubt she is a devil ether because no archduke of hell would give a mortal like Nale any more power then he already has. But a yugoloth lord would give another tool for a mighty evildoers arsenal, because they just want more evil in the world. Thats why Sabine had to report to them about the gates. And as for V's gender, V and V's mate are probably both hermathrodites.