PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Ideas for homebrew champion archetype, not boring anymore?

Yormungand
2019-04-24, 03:52 AM
The state of 5e Player's handbook fighter has been in my mind as of lately, specially the champion. I know that fighters are meant to be blank sheets to form your own versatile warrior, that is neat. But when it comes to mechanically play them, but most specifically, champions, they feel so very underwhelming because, even for a fighting class they are underwhwlming.

Not gonna go into debate into this but it's kind of sad to think that he can take any role in battle and be left behind in any of them

*Paladins have burst, magical damage attacks, half-casters with utility
*Rangers have a lot of tools for exploration, half-caster, lots of DPR (damage per round)
*Barbarians are superior tanks and still deal great damage but are rage dependant.

Even amongst fighters, battlemaster have so many options built in that outdamage early and mid game champions, and by the time a champion should start to ""shine"". Most campaigns are over. Hard to compare with Eldtritch Knight, vastly different concepts

My personal idea to balance things out could be totally crap but I'd like to know opinions and feedback, parting with the idea of making champions funnier, with more roleplaying options while not needing to be a half-orc to be half-decent.

(Disclaimer: Values are in need to be evaluated, it could be extremely strong in some aspects or underwhelming in others, that's why I am looking for feedback)

Fighter Rework

Class Features, skills and equipment remains the same.

*Level 1: Fighting Style (Same)
*Level 1: Second Wind: Regain (1d10+Fighter Lvl) HP once per short/long rest ⇒ If your current HP is equal or below half maximum HP you can get advantage in one attack or strength ability check once per short/long rest.
*Levels 2/17: Action Surge (Same)
*Level 3: Martial Archetype (Same)
*Levels 4/8/10/12/14/16/19: ASI ⇒ 4/8/10/12/16/19
*Levels 5/11/20: Extra attack (Same)
*Levels 7/10/15/18: Martial Archetype Feature
*Levels 9/13/17 ⇒ 9/17: Indomitable: Can reroll a failed Saving Throw and take the latter, 1/2/3 times per long rest ⇒ Choose an attribute in which you have proficiency in Saving Throws. You have advantage in such Savings. At level 17 you choose another attribute

Champion Archetype Rework

*Level 3: Nothing ⇒ NEW: Extra Proficiencies: Gain proficiency in athletics, if already have proficiency, you can either double your proficiency bonus or pick acrobatics.
*Levels 3/15 ⇒ 3/10/15: Improved Critical: Treat 19/18 as criticals ⇒ BATTLE STANCES: you learn 3 battle stances and one more at levels 10 and 15. In combat you adopt a battle stance, gaining passive bonuses accordingly. You can use your stance skill during an attack roll to enhance one attack. You can use the feat of stance skills four times. Extra damage is measured 1d6 at 3rd Level, 1d8 at 10th Level, and 1d10 at 15th Lvl, at level 10th and 15th you gain one more use. You can use the stance skill feat once per round.

-Sturdy Posture: If you are using a non-crossbow ranged weapon you can add your strength modifier as bonus damage and enemies hit are pushed 10ft. away. At level 10th you can attack up to your maximum attack range without disadvantage. If you use a stance skill use and your bonus action to shoot from a fully stretched bow, your attack deals maximum damage and add 6/8/10 damage
-Draw Stance: If you are using a ranged weapon you can add +2 to attack rolls. At level 10th, you can attack up to your maximum weapon range without disadvantage. If you spend a stance skill use and use your bonus action to carefully aim, you add 1d6/8/10 and have advantage in that attack.
-Swift Stance: While you are using this stance, treat your initiative as if +3, At level 10th, enemies whose initiative is lower than yours have -2 to attack rolls against you. If you spend a stance skill use, you add 1d6/8/10 bonus damage, if attack someone who hasn't taken an action yet this round, you use 2 dices.
-Fencing Stance: If you are wielding a single melee weapon in which you are proficient, add +2 to your AC if the creature who attacks doesn't have advantage on his attack roll. At level 10th, after successfully hitting a creature, you can apply disadvantage to weapon attack rolls for one round, only one creature per round. If you use a stance skill use, add 1d6/8/10 and any creature that attacks the target has advantage on attack rolls for one round
-High Guard: If you are using a melee weapon in which you are proficient, “Large” and “Huge” creatures get a -2 to weapon attack rolls against you. At level 10th, critical attack rolls deal three times damage rather than two. If you spend a stance skill use, add 1d6/8/10 bonus damage and if the target is of greater size than you, treat 19 in weapon attack rolls as critical.
-Low Guard: If you are using a melee weapon in which you are proficient, “Small” size or smaller creatures receive a -2 penalty to weapon attack rolls against you. At level 10th, when you hit a creature with this stance you reduce its movement by half for one round. If you use a stance skill use, add 1d6/8/10 bonus damage and if target’s size is Large or smaller, it must contest your athletics against target's athletics or acrobatics, on a failed save, character falls prone and reduces that target's movement to 0 for the rest of the round
-Long Guard: If you are wielding a Two-Handed weapon in which you are proficient. When a hostile creature enters your reach, you immediately perform an opportonity attack using your reaction. At level 10th, any creature hit under that circumstance gets disadvantage when attacking any target different than you. If you spend a stance skill use, the attack doesn't require of your reaction and deals an extra dice of 1d6/8/10 bonus damage

*Level 7: Remarkable Athlete: Add half proficiency bonus to strength, dexterity and constitution checks that don't include your proficiency bonus. ⇒ You gain proficiency in Dexterity Saving Throws

*Level 18: Survivor: Recover 5+Fighter Lvl/2 per round ⇒ Critical hits don't deal extra damage to you. If you start a fight and roll initiative, you gain one use of your stance skills.

Wildarm
2019-04-24, 02:59 PM
Some questions:

What action is needed to enter a stance and how long is it active for?
How often do your stances recharge? Do you get 4 uses of each stance you know or total of 4 uses combined?

Flavor wise I'm not sure what these stances are trying to do. They seem like just more battlemaster maneuvers.

cajbaj
2019-04-24, 08:03 PM
See, I really like the idea of Stances and think there should be a subclass that uses them, but I don't know that Champion is that subclass. I feel like Champion embodies simplicity and heroism at its core, so it should focus on being simple to keep track of and abilities that feel heroic.
I do like this class a lot, but I feel like maybe higher level should have a set of even more situational but significantly stronger stances to reward really getting into the "zone". It's a shame we already have the Battle Master, because I feel like that would be a fitting name for this subclass.

I happen to have a strong opinion on Champion in no small part because I actually also wrote a rework for it.

Level 3
Improved critical: When you roll a 19 on an attack roll, you deal a critical hit.
Courageous surge: If the Action you make as part of your Action Surge requires any Athletics or Acrobatics checks, you make them with advantage.
Heroic Endurance: When you would normally make a death save, you can instead take 1 point of exhaustion and regain 1d4 + your fighter level Hit points, then carry on with your turn as normal.
Level 7
Gain expertise in either Athletics or Acrobatics, doubling your proficiency bonus. You can perform running Long or High jumps without a running start. You also gain proficiency in one of the
following that you are not proficient in already: Strength, Constitution, or Dexterity saves.
Level 10
When you use your Indomitable feature, you make the new saving throw with advantage. You also gain one additional Fighting Style.
Level 15
Superior critical: You deal critical hits on rolls of 18 or above.
You can use your Second Wind feature twice per short rest.
Level 18
Survivor: If you are below half your max HP, even if you are unconscious, at the end of your turn you regain 5+your constitution modifier Hit Points.

Notice that this rework doesn't add any more features to keep track of, it only improves the core Fighter features, and the ones that it does add don't require tracking their own usage. Champion is supposed to be the "beginner" class, but that doesn't mean it has to be bad.

Yormungand
2019-04-25, 04:04 PM
See, I really like the idea of Stances and think there should be a subclass that uses them, but I don't know that Champion is that subclass. I feel like Champion embodies simplicity and heroism at its core, so it should focus on being simple to keep track of and abilities that feel heroic.
I do like this class a lot, but I feel like maybe higher level should have a set of even more situational but significantly stronger stances to reward really getting into the "zone". It's a shame we already have the Battle Master, because I feel like that would be a fitting name for this subclass.

I happen to have a strong opinion on Champion in no small part because I actually also wrote a rework for it.

Level 3
Improved critical: When you roll a 19 on an attack roll, you deal a critical hit.
Courageous surge: If the Action you make as part of your Action Surge requires any Athletics or Acrobatics checks, you make them with advantage.
Heroic Endurance: When you would normally make a death save, you can instead take 1 point of exhaustion and regain 1d4 + your fighter level Hit points, then carry on with your turn as normal.
Level 7
Gain expertise in either Athletics or Acrobatics, doubling your proficiency bonus. You can perform running Long or High jumps without a running start. You also gain proficiency in one of the
following that you are not proficient in already: Strength, Constitution, or Dexterity saves.
Level 10
When you use your Indomitable feature, you make the new saving throw with advantage. You also gain one additional Fighting Style.
Level 15
Superior critical: You deal critical hits on rolls of 18 or above.
You can use your Second Wind feature twice per short rest.
Level 18
Survivor: If you are below half your max HP, even if you are unconscious, at the end of your turn you regain 5+your constitution modifier Hit Points.

Notice that this rework doesn't add any more features to keep track of, it only improves the core Fighter features, and the ones that it does add don't require tracking their own usage. Champion is supposed to be the "beginner" class, but that doesn't mean it has to be bad.

I reaaally like the ideas shown. As I see, the champion is too simple, while this is good for those who want simplicity. Many people who play it feel bored pretty soon. Not to mention they feel that their combat is not pretty good as it should be. This quite helps the class, keeps simplicity and adds options. I might take a few of these ideas to my future games. Thanks!

About what was my plan intended to do? Stances would be passive bonuses, each giving different ones, you can change stances at the beggining of each turn for free but you only know some (based on level, 3/4/5). And you only gain bonus from the active one. This replaced the passive, boring and unreliable crit with something that felt more realistic, noticeable and still was simple as most of times you benefit from passive bonuses and there's little resource management while truly showing the concept of a versatile, endured fighter expert in his physical prowess.

Bjarkmundur
2019-04-26, 09:21 AM
What are your opinions on the brute subclass?

Vogie
2019-04-26, 09:58 AM
What I'd do is sort of homebrew, sort of not.

Pick up the pathfinder Gamemastery Critical Hit Deck (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/1601251955), which gives cards that identify what things will happen when you get a critical hit, depending on what type of weapon damage you are dealing. Each card contains 4 separate entries, of which you'll use 3 - Bludgeoning, Slashing, or Piercing, based on whatever weapons you use.

When you Roll initiative, you draw X cards from the deck (X is your proficiency bonus). The champion can then make decisions to switch between weapons freely, allowing the "Crit Fish" style to have some additional UMPH, based on the cards they get. Each time the Champion Crits, that card is discarded. This allows you to toy around with unique smite-y effects that play in the champions' theme.