PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion about FFIV: Stormblood Homebrew

Aleister VII
2019-04-24, 11:19 AM
Hey guys! I just finished to read this homebrew document with final fantasy classes and races https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/B1HBWX5j , I think it is quite amazing and I already start to usher my DM to allow it on my group next campaing, what do you think about it?

I personally love Red mage and Dragoon, in fact, I will make a spell slinger red mage if my DM allows it xD

MikeRoxTheBoat
2019-04-24, 11:34 AM
There have been a few of these that have popped up for Final Fantasy and my roommate is actually currently playing in one (not FFXIV specifically, but Final Fantasy themed). Honestly, I'm of the opinion that you can reskin the races, use the setting, then have everybody fit in perfectly well without the additional classes. I think Summoner/Scholar might be the only one you can't reasonably create using D&D 5e assets, but some type of modified familiar could cover that, as well as a version of Glamour Bards Mantle of Inspiration to simulate shields.

The issue that I've seen with Final Fantasy reskins so far is that they have a tendency to get very imbalanced, since the reskins are usually made by fans of Final Fantasy, not game developers. For instance, my roommate was playing a Mog Paladin with 40 ac. Not terrible, just target saves, right? Nope, as a reaction he can add his AC to his saves 'til the start of his next turn (what?!). From my brief look at the document, nothing really glaring stands out, but I'd definitely be prepared for a lot of work as a DM, or be prepared for inevitable buffs/nerfs as a player.

Seems like a fun idea, though, and there's a lot of documentation on Eorzea, especially if you got the encyclopedia.