PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew demonic contracts

PancakeMaster80
2019-04-24, 03:51 PM
I'm playing in a Curse of Strahd game where my character just gave up their soul for demonic power. My GM initially gave me at-will spider climb, however I'm not interested in this power since I don't find it terribly interesting.

As such I'd like to see what you all can come up with. My character is now a level 8 oathbreaker paladin and I'm looking for power that offer interesting synergies and/or roleplaying opportunities. These powers can also come with downsides, as deals with demons often do.

Man_Over_Game
2019-04-24, 04:04 PM
I'm playing in a Curse of Strahd game where my character just gave up their soul for demonic power. My GM initially gave me at-will spider climb, however I'm not interested in this power since I don't find it terribly interesting.

As such I'd like to see what you all can come up with. My character is now a level 8 oathbreaker paladin and I'm looking for power that offer interesting synergies and/or roleplaying opportunities. These powers can also come with downsides, as deals with demons often do.

Spend a Hit Die and that much life to use your Divine Smite feature without spending a spell slot.

See through magical darkness.

Your Divine Sense now only points out two types of creatures: Undead, and humanoids of lower level than you.

Your Lay on Hands is now Lay Waste, dealing necrotic damage to the target. You must make an Unarmed Strike to land the effect.

If you would be reduced to 0 HP by a creature within 60 feet of you, you can first spend your Reaction to teleport adjacent to that creature and make a melee weapon attack against it with Advantage. If this kills the creature, you spend all of your Lay on Hands healing and heal that many hit points.

Unoriginal
2019-04-24, 04:07 PM
Do you mean diabolic contract? Making a contract with a demon is even less of a good idea.

The Mordenkainen's has a section with benefits for those who sign up with Devils, and the DMG has Epic Boons that could be used to represent what you get from such a trade.

PancakeMaster80
2019-04-24, 04:10 PM
Spend a Hit Die and that much life to use your Divine Smite feature without spending a spell slot.

Oh I like this one, so basically I take a d10 of damage and spend a hit die to fuel a divine smite?

JackPhoenix
2019-04-24, 04:10 PM
Multiclass into a warlock. That's what paladins do around these parts.

PancakeMaster80
2019-04-24, 04:11 PM
Multiclass into a warlock. That's what paladins do around these parts.

I am warlock 1, but this is specifically a boon/drawback outside the normal game rules, as that's the kind of thing the GM is encouraging us to look for