PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Feats for those who want to dump DEX

Crisis21
2019-04-24, 07:15 PM
So, I whipped up a homebrew Feat for Bjarkmundur who was wanting to do a low-DEX Bard and still have decent AC, and I realized it looked like something I had made for a low-DEX Fighter of mine, and so I whipped up one for all non-DEX stats. Now you too can dump DEX and still be a competent adventurer no matter your class!

Body Like a Tank
Prerequisite: Constitution of 13 or higher.
Your body is thick, heavy, and rather hard to injure.

Increase your Constitution score by 1, up to your maximum.
When people punch you, they're likely to hurt their fists more than they hurt you. When calculating your AC, you use your Constitution modifier instead of your Dexterity modifier. All limitations on adding your Constitution modifier to your AC, such as with medium armor, are applied the same as they would be with your Dexterity modifier. You may not use this feature with any other feature that allows you to add your Constitution modifier to your AC.
When asked to make a Dexterity saving throw to avoid damage, you may instead make a Constitution saving throw. On a success, you take half damage (you may not completely negate damage using this feature). You may do this a number of times equal to your Constitution modifier and regain all spent uses after a long rest.

Charmed Existence
Prerequisite: Charisma of 13 or higher.
Your life has been fortunate for you, often in inexplicable ways. You may not be the most coordinated person, but your fumbles seem to always come at just the right time to avoid ill consequences. You gain the following benefits:

Increase your Charisma score by 1, up to a maximum of 20.
You often stumble out of the way of harm at just the right moment. When calculating your AC, you use your Charisma modifier instead of your Dexterity modifier. All limitations on adding your Charisma modifier to your AC, such as with medium armor, are applied the same as they would be with your Dexterity modifier. You may not use this feature with any other feature that allows you to add your Charisma modifier to your AC.
When you make an ability check or saving throw requiring your Dexterity modifier, you may substitute your Charisma modifier instead. You may do this a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier and regain all spent uses after a long rest.

Muscles Like Iron
Prerequisite: Strength of 13 or higher.
Your muscles are so defined they might have been chiseled from solid granite. You gain the following benefits:

Increase your Strength score by 1, up to your maximum.
You once broke a sword by blocking it with your massive biceps. When calculating your AC, you use your Strength modifier instead of your Dexterity modifier. All limitations on adding your Strength modifier to your AC, such as with medium armor, are applied the same as they would be with your Dexterity modifier. You may not use this feature with any other feature that allows you to add your Strength modifier to your AC.
When asked to make a Dexterity saving throw to avoid damage, you may instead make a Strength saving throw. On a success, you take half damage (you may not completely negate damage using this feature). You may do this a number of times equal to your Strength modifier and regain all spent uses after a long rest.

Precognition
Prerequisite: Wisdom of 13 or higher.
You seem to have a preternatural sense for things that are about to happen and often react to them before they are even set in motion. You gain the following benefits:

Increase your Wisdom score by 1, up to your maximum.
By the time most opponents launch an attack, you are already dodging it. When calculating your AC, you use your Wisdom modifier instead of your Dexterity modifier. All limitations on adding your Wisdom modifier to your AC, such as with medium armor, are applied the same as they would be with your Dexterity modifier. You may not use this feature with any other feature that allows you to add your Wisdom modifier to your AC.
When you make an ability check or saving throw requiring your Dexterity modifier, you may substitute your Wisdom modifier instead. You may do this a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier and regain all spent uses after a long rest.

Quick-Witted
Prerequisite: Intelligence of 13 or higher.
Your mind works so fast that things often seem to happen around you in slow motion. You gain the following benefits:

Increase your Intelligence score by 1, up to your maximum.
You calculate the angles and position of moving objects as if it were second nature and position yourself to maximum benefit. When calculating your AC, you use your Intelligence modifier instead of your Dexterity modifier. All limitations on adding your Intelligence modifier to your AC, such as with medium armor, are applied the same as they would be with your Dexterity modifier. You may not use this feature with any other feature that allows you to add your Intelligence modifier to your AC.
When you make an ability check or saving throw requiring your Dexterity modifier, you may substitute your Intelligence modifier instead. You may do this a number of times equal to your Intellignece modifier and regain all spent uses after a long rest.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-04-24, 07:45 PM
These are ridiculously good. Even without the stat bumps, they're a massive improvement for...everyone, really*, but especially for casters. I can't say I recommend using any of these.

Besides, there's already a feat for characters who want to have decent AC with a low Dex-- Moderately Armored. 16 AC from scale mail + shield is quite respectable for non-melee types.

Crisis21
2019-04-24, 08:30 PM
These are ridiculously good. Even without the stat bumps, they're a massive improvement for...everyone, really*, but especially for casters. I can't say I recommend using any of these.

Besides, there's already a feat for characters who want to have decent AC with a low Dex-- Moderately Armored. 16 AC from scale mail + shield is quite respectable for non-melee types.

What would you advise to rebalance? Remove the third bullet point? Or the second?

Bjarkmundur
2019-04-25, 03:29 PM
____<3____